January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by YorksHammer »

If Lingard went to Newcastle on a permanent contract this window, even taking wages into account, he'd be completely daft not to have a relegation release clause written into his contract, and for it to not be reasonable for Premier League clubs to pay in case that happens.
sendô wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:24 pm An up and coming player aged 21 to 24 of a similar style is what we should be looking for. A left sided Bowen.
Is this not Brereton Diaz? From what I've seen, he plays like Bowen and has played LW almost as much a central stiker, even this season.

Transfermarkt, I know isn't necessarily super reliable on these things, has him playing LW 11 times this season with 8 goals and 2 assists, CF 16 times with 12 goals.

More impressive than the raw number scored is that he seems to be consistently putting the ball in the net every other game - in fact, his last three league games are the first time he has gone that long without scoring all season (had another 3 game drought earlier on in October, but didn't start the first of those games.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

I believe Moyes when he says that his preferred targets may not be available in this window. The question is whether he should bend a bit and bring in alternative options this window that enhance the opportunities that present themselves to us.

I think he wants Lingard and perhaps Tarkowski and I think both want to come to us. However, I think Man U won’t loan or sell Lingard to us and I imagine Burnley would sooner retain Tarkowski.

I get and buy into Moyes long term project but on balance I think we need to pass on the above players and bring in a forward and CB now. Seasons like this don’t come along often!!!
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm very much warming to the idea of Brereton, Yorks.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

ironilunga wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 am I believe Moyes when he says that his preferred targets may not be available in this window. The question is whether he should bend a bit and bring in alternative options this window that enhance the opportunities that present themselves to us.

I think he wants Lingard and perhaps Tarkowski and I think both want to come to us. However, I think Man U won’t loan or sell Lingard to us and I imagine Burnley would sooner retain Tarkowski.

I get and buy into Moyes long term project but on balance I think we need to pass on the above players and bring in a forward and CB now. Seasons like this don’t come along often!!!
Especially as there are better players and options out there than Lingard and Tarkowski.

Obviously this is all gossip and we likely have no true idea about who he wants, but if he is limiting himself to Tarkowski, Lingard and Brereton, I would implore him to have the confidence to look beyond English football in this window. Both routes (Bowen/Benrahma and then Soucek/Coufal) have been successful for him before, so no need to limit ourselves to the idea of English players being more likely to work out. Just go after the best player that has the best personality, don't worry what league or country he is coming from.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

wobble wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 am So a top club insider has informed that other site we are not in for Diego Carlos of Sevilla, it would cost £30m and that is too rich for West Ham.

I’m taking that we have no money or very little, probable about 20/25m

This I fear is the window that convinces Rice where his future lies.

What do they say about making the same mistake over and over.

GSB Out.
We'd never spend £30m+ on a player in their late 20s, especially one with no proven PL experience. Doesn't mean we don't have any money.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:38 am I'm very much warming to the idea of Brereton, Yorks.
Quality of opposition and defence accepted, he does seem to do pretty much everything right. Seems to love pulling wide and getting a run on a fullback, will pop up in the centre of the box to poach a goal...shades of Bowen, shades of Antonio, for me. I can see why we'd be interested. The only issue, really, is asking price and whether we can/will pay it. We'd hopefully be getting someone who will play/work with Antonio and then be our main central forward for a good period after that, so it works as an investment.

I think his contract expires in the summer, although there is an option for another year that I think is club triggered and not player, so realistically 18 months.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 437 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

I wonder why more players don't buy themselves out of their contract, it seems to me that Lingard is able to 2 years after he signed for the wages he has left (it's 3 years after signing for those under 28), so about £2m. He pays that then he can go where he likes and that can be refunded through a signing on bonus. I guess clubs don't want it to become a thing as we could lose Rice in a year or so, but it's an option that's there I'm surprised someone doesn't break ranks and do it.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3045 likes
Total likes: 2688 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:30 am All the hush hush secrecy around.......nothing? Preparing a list of targets.......only one and not available? All the investment in experienced scouting set up and 3+ months planning for.......maybe Phillips on loan, a Championship player and last minute bargain? Although we don't need yet another AM, at least Lingard woul;d be something

Impressive.
We're all missing the days of Sully taking the phone and calling Talksport to spoof around. I feel you.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:14 am We're all missing the days of Sully taking the phone and calling Talksport to spoof around. I feel you.
Or sending emails to PSG that looks like a 6 year old wrote it.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3045 likes
Total likes: 2688 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:20 am Or sending emails to PSG that looks like a 6 year old wrote it.
Oh yes, another classic.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

I'm now officially a big fan of Ben Brereton Diaz.
More importantly he is precisely the type of player who will fit in to the Moyes system and style of play.
Constant work rate, young, already has a great scoring record and can play either left wing or centre forward.

He's very similar to Arnautovic and dare I say it Harry Kane.

If he's available in the summer then I fear we will get outbid as there will be at least 4 or 5 other teams involved so we need to try and get something done now if possible.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Mousa Demble is available on loan from Lyon (according to Marca)

Surely we have to enquire on this? He has Premier Leage and Champions League experience. Pacy, Strong and good in the air!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I love it. Brereton has been compared to Ashton, Antonio, Arnautovic, Bowen, and Kane.

I'm glad we're not setting our expectations too high.

Having watched some Chilean commentary of his international goals I'm 100% convinced he'll be a cult hero. "Grande! Grande! Big Ben! Big Ben!". I'm convinced.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

ironilunga wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 am I believe Moyes when he says that his preferred targets may not be available in this window. The question is whether he should bend a bit and bring in alternative options this window that enhance the opportunities that present themselves to us.

But the same excuses was used last January about forwards not being available till the summer. Summer comes and he uses the excuse of ‘no one available’. It’s all a bit tiresome and a bit unbelievable tbh.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:36 am I love it. Brereton has been compared to Ashton, Antonio, Arnautovic, Bowen, and Kane.

Having watched some Chilean commentary of his international goals I'm 100% convinced he'll be a cult hero. "Grande! Grande! Big Ben! Big Ben!". I'm convinced.
He reminds me of Samassi Abou
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:36 am I love it. Brereton has been compared to Ashton, Antonio, Arnautovic, Bowen, and Kane.

I advise you not to look at his actual game cut-ups mate. They definitely killed the vibe for me.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Jackanakanory wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:36 am Mousa Demble is available on loan from Lyon (according to Marca)

Surely we have to enquire on this? He has Premier Leage and Champions League experience. Pacy, Strong and good in the air!
Trouble is why would he want to come and sit on the bench, and why would Lyon want him to do that

Antonio is going to play if fit. That is a 100% guaranteed. Moyes loves him and has built his entire strategy around having Antonio up front
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

What's your opinion of him then smart ass?
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Lovejoy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 am But the same excuses was used last January about forwards not being available till the summer. Summer comes and he uses the excuse of ‘no one available’. It’s all a bit tiresome and a bit unbelievable tbh.
I think I lean towards agreeing with you. If we wait until the Summer for Lingard it will be approaching 18 months since he was loaned to us. He will also only be a few months off his 30th birthday. It’s now or never for him IMO.
Last edited by ironilunga on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.