Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (22/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 237 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am

hammers92 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:54 pm
I would go to a 5 at the back for this, on the basis that they do have an abundance of pace going forward and we just cannot defend. Cresswell in at LCB and Masuaku (yeah I know), in at LWB.

Rice/Soucek and Lanzini in the middle with Bowen/Antonio up top.
Who in their team has any pace ?

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 596 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:58 am

Ronaldo and Greenwood are both (still) pacy players.

Varane is considered to be one of the fastest defenders in European football.

hammers92
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by hammers92 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:06 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am
Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford.

DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:07 am

hammers92 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:06 am
Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford.
Amd the kid Elanga, who really looks more than just promising. Cracking speedster.

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 306 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:10 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am
Rashford, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Sancho, Lingard, Elanga, Wan-Biassaka, Varane, Martial. Pace certainly isn't a problem of theirs...

IronRhino
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by IronRhino » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:16 am

If Moyes sets us up not to lose we will probably lose because Man U have players who can create something out of nothing. A lot of their games have been rescued or won on the back of moments of individual brilliance.

They are very porous at the back and open to counter attack, particularly from their corners, which have been hopeless all season. 110 so far and no goals have resulted, in fact they have been the source of more goals against them than for them - they would be better kicking it straight out for a goal kick and getting their defensive line set.

They have a very weak midfield which is often easily bypassed and Antonio should see plenty of quick ball and if he is on his game we will win this.
Fred is the least Brazilian Brazilian that has graced the Premiership and McT doesn't show for the ball when the game is not going their way, both are weak defensively

A draw is no good to either team at this stage, they will come on to us that is for sure. If we can weather the first 10/15 minutes and then gradually take control it will be a matter of us taking our chances.

They are a confidence team and if we can get the crowd on their backs they will implode.

2 nil to the Irons

Tezza65
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Tezza65 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:32 am

sendô wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:50 am
The problem is too often against these teams we're our own worst enemy. They're there for the taking, but I know now how Moyes will have us set up, too cautious, too defensive and so we'll invite pressure.

We did it 1st half against Liverpool after the early goal. In fact we did it against them last season too and got trounced.

We also did it 1st half against Chelsea to an extent and went in HT 2-1 down.

We did it against Arsenal and were never in the game. To be fair injuries and fatigue were catching up to us by then, but even so for the short spell we were 1-0 down and with 11 men on the pitch we started to build momentum and looked dangerous.

If we an get at them and get on the front foot, their expectant, entitled crowd will get on their backs, adding pressure on them and likely forcing errors. Letting them have possession and territory invites pressure on us.
You are right.

Go at them and make them feel uncomfortable.After all that is their weakness.You let them control and dominate the game,we'll get beat .

hammers92
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by hammers92 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:42 am

Tezza65 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:32 am
You are right.

Go at them and make them feel uncomfortable.After all that is their weakness.You let them control and dominate the game,we'll get beat .
I think we're better on the counter and so are they. Interesting tactical match up actually.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Post by S-H » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am

hammers92 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:42 am
I think we're better on the counter and so are they. Interesting tactical match up actually.
Won't take long for the natives to get restless though, if they play counter attacking football against West Ham at home.

They will come out on the front foot.

only1post
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by only1post » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm

Soucek and Rice should have the edge on Fred & McTom as they played Wednesday, although I suspect one will be replaced by Matic.

This will give Vlad the opportunity for some KUMB retribution. (Knees up Matics b*llocks).

Need Pearce playing some loud punk in the dressing room so we are up for it from the whistle.

Take it it turns to wind up Bruno F and we might get something out of the game and then it's on to a fabulous Feb.

Aceface
Has liked: 100 likes
Total likes: 304 likes

Post by Aceface » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:13 pm

Feels like one of the season-defining fixtures.

The pairing of our loss to Leeds + Spurs gaining 5 points in injury time in their previous two outings has created a horrendous swing the past fortnight. Lose this six pointer and it will feel a bit like the wind is out of our sails.

El brooko79
Has liked: 424 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by El brooko79 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Must not sit too deep and invite pressure.
Need to give them something to think about by using the ball.
Lanzini floating around MF in little pockets. Make McFred defend otherwise Soucek will be picking up Bruno and Rice will be outnumbered.

If we play a back 3 and get Masuaku in for Lanzini I'll be gutted.

ageing hammer
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ageing hammer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:29 pm

only1post wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm

Fred & McTom as they played Wednesday, although I suspect one will be replaced by Matic.

Better give Coufal 3 shinpads then

ageing hammer
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ageing hammer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 pm

IronRhino wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:16 am

Fred is the least Brazilian Brazilian that has graced the Premiership

I call your Fred and I raise you an Anderson :smiler:

whammo
Has liked: 1 like

Post by whammo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:41 pm

IronRhino wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:16 am
If Moyes sets us up not to lose we will probably lose because Man U have players who can create something out of nothing. A lot of their games have been rescued or won on the back of moments of individual brilliance.

They are very porous at the back and open to counter attack, particularly from their corners, which have been hopeless all season. 110 so far and no goals have resulted, in fact they have been the source of more goals against them than for them - they would be better kicking it straight out for a goal kick and getting their defensive line set.

They have a very weak midfield which is often easily bypassed and Antonio should see plenty of quick ball and if he is on his game we will win this.
Fred is the least Brazilian Brazilian that has graced the Premiership and McT doesn't show for the ball when the game is not going their way, both are weak defensively

A draw is no good to either team at this stage, they will come on to us that is for sure. If we can weather the first 10/15 minutes and then gradually take control it will be a matter of us taking our chances.

They are a confidence team and if we can get the crowd on their backs they will implode.

2 nil to the Irons
you just know they'll end that stat now - cheeky £10 on them scoring from a corner set piece :thdn:

Gerblatz
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Gerblatz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:04 pm

There’s no reason to have any fear or overt respect for this Manc team - names mean nothing if the wood beneath the veneer is starting to rot. Reputation doesn’t play in the game unless the players live up to it individually and as a team. We can do these if we play to the levels we know our lads have.
Gotta take the game to them - they won’t be able to handle us, just as Brentford did, they will struggle. We must be clinical with the chances we create.
A 1-3 win for us.

sendô
Has liked: 770 likes
Total likes: 693 likes

Post by sendô » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:14 pm

only1post wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm
Soucek and Rice should have the edge on Fred & McTom as they played Wednesday, although I suspect one will be replaced by Matic.
I often see things like this posted, but honestly more often than not the "midfield battle" is Rice/Soucek trying to stop players like Fernandes/Greenwood and Fred/McT trying to stop Fornals/Vlasic or whoever.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing Rice drive past Fred with the ball.

Lovejoy
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:21 pm

hammers92 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:54 pm
I would go to a 5 at the back for this, on the basis that they do have an abundance of pace going forward and we just cannot defend. Cresswell in at LCB and Masuaku (yeah I know), in at LWB.

Rice/Soucek and Lanzini in the middle with Bowen/Antonio up top.
Agree with 5 at the back. We ship for fun, only seems logically to go that way.

Aerola
Fredricks Zouma Dawson Cress Masuaku
Soucek Rice Fornals
Bowen Antonio.

El brooko79
Has liked: 424 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by El brooko79 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm

Lovejoy wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:21 pm
Agree with 5 at the back. We ship for fun, only seems logically to go that way.

Aerola
Fredricks Zouma Dawson Cress Masuaku
Soucek Rice Fornals
Bowen Antonio.
Bringing in Masuaku doesn't make us any stronger defensively. It's just a player who will not to their job properly and break the defensive unit.
If we have to go 3 at the back I'd put Johnson in there (LWB). Atleast Fornals won't be coming across to help out.
But it happens all the time when we play with a back 5 and conceded possession, the opposition full backs will just have acres.

Its 3-4-3 when we dominate games - great
It's 5-4-1 when we sit deep, which we will - not great.

Being too defensive is a false economy. You just invite pressure.

Lovejoy
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:44 pm

El brooko79 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm
Bringing in Masuaku doesn't make us any stronger defensively. It's just a player who will not to their job properly and break the defensive unit.
If we have to go 3 at the back I'd put Johnson in there (LWB). Atleast Fornals won't be coming across to help out.
But it happens all the time when we play with a back 5 and conceded possession, the opposition full backs will just have acres.

Its 3-4-3 when we dominate games - great
It's 5-4-1 when we sit deep, which we will - not great.

Being too defensive is a false economy. You just invite pressure.

I agree on Masuaku, it was mainly for balance and what he can on the very rare occasion bring going forward. But we concede possession near on every game, we very rarely dominate possession, we don’t have that many great ball players within our side imo.

We’ve been hopeless defensively so maybe a change might work. Also wouldn’t mind having 2 upfront.