January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Rust
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Rust »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:44 pm You do not need to add “up front” just that City are able to pay that.

Let us say we want Lloyd Kelly and he is viewed at least as good on here as Ake as seems to be the case.

Ake cost £40m when relegated, Bournemouth are in a promotion push and say to us Kelly will cost you £50m this window given his importance and our position (Blackburn might do similar with Brereton). Any of the Sky 6 might just be in a position to say Ok (White at £50m for example).

Are you seriously suggesting we can and should do deals like this?
Of course not.

However, the reason they can pay it all up front makes a huge difference.

With the way we do business, by the time we agree a fee other clubs are interested, the player has been able to negotiate a new contract, etc.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Post by stammer »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:10 pm Interesting stat on Sky this morning. Had we not gained the 10 points we did from Lingard’s goal participations we would have finished 12th. Doubt we would have seen anything close to his figures from Haller so that is likely not the negative you are trying to portray.
Thats a little skewed as we were not going to be playing with 10 men had he not been loaned. What was that 11th man going to do in that match.
He hit a hot streak so it is unlikely that the 11th man would have contributed as much but to have a binary removal on all his contributions isn't a reasonable comparison to make.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Mayday wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 pm Too many of you want instant success.
You can accuse West Ham supporters of many things but this is not one :lol: I've been a West Ham supporter for over 40 years and we've had almost no success in that time so we're not in it for the success are we? What would be nice is spending a bit of money to plug the gaping holes in the squad so we could continue to compete in a season that promised much but is in danger of ending in massive disappointment if Diop and Dawson spend any more time on the pitch together and Antonio isn't rested and rotated!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:34 pm Why is Hammerbot so insistent that Caleta-Carr is available on loan all of a sudden? He starts most games for Lyon!
Marseille will be livid :D
D C
Has liked: 1119 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by D C »

davids cross wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:29 pm I honestly believe that some people still don't get what David Moyes is about.....

He's not about the here and now especially......or to try and grab at a short term opportunity, that may or may not pay off.

He thinks long term......like, really long term. And not as a fan thinks.

And if you don't understand that fundamental point about him. You will always carry around too much frustration, especially around transfers. From my point of view, it's probably been the best consecutive seasons for about 40 years....79/80.....and.... 80/81 ....being my best.

He's the old fashion builder. Out of the John Lyall style. And you have to accept that fact about him.

Carry on David.
That’s how it seems. He would rather wait until the right target is available for a good price in the summer and target top 4 next season rather than pay over the odds now for a 2nd or 3rd target and still not make top 4 or a cup final etc then be left with what is his second choice player for another couple of seasons.

It’s not ideal, I like many would rather the club gambled and went all out to try and do as well as possible in the three competitions we’re left in but I just don’t think that Moyes will ever operate like that.

The main problem with that approach is it might look like a lack of ambition to Rice and Bowen who could well be off this summer
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:10 pm so that is likely not the negative you are trying to portray.
Not trying to portray that as a negative, you've taken it the wrong way. I've listed the business we did. Not comparing Lingard to Haller at all. My point is that most people would've said we needed a CB, CM and a forward. We brought in Lingard, sold Haller and that was it. We then lost Rice and Antonio for a few games and didn't really have the proper cover we needed. We then go into that Chelsea home game for instance. We lost and finished 2 points behind Chelsea. Lingard was the only one who offered any sort of attacking threat in the first half and all Chelsea did was hack him down. We could've done with Antonio/another forward to help with the physical side of our attack. Probably could've done with CM cover instead of Noble and we played Balbuena that day who most people had behind Diop...
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:29 pm
I like the way he uses his squad rather than keep looking for others. Might not be the way to ultimately win anything, but I like the stability and ethos.
He doesn't use his squad.... he uses the first 11, then gives the others a few minutes here or there. THATS NOT USING A SQUAD!!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

Mr_incredible wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:46 pm He doesn't use his squad.... he uses the first 11, then gives the others a few minutes here or there. THATS NOT USING A SQUAD!!
I'd argue you can look at the use of Benrahma, Johnson, Vlasic, Masuaku, Lanzini and Fornals and see that he does.

And then add Dawson and Diop in the cups, Noble, Areola, and then the first two again when we have had to in the league.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I wish he wouldn't use masuaka and yarmolenko!

Moyes talking optimistically about 2 signing

CB Philips 10m
CF lingard or traore
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm That second and third party are impossible to deal with. But the first part is making up a narrative to suit you. Both will have been scouted, there’s no evidence they weren’t.

Some signings just don’t work out, and that’s not always just on the player. It’s worth remembering that Moyes’s record isn’t some Beatles hitlist
Interesting though the 2 who failed most spectacularly were pretty much the two most expensive signings at the time. I am sure all players were “scouted” by someone to some degree it simply appears the level of “scouting” by whoever is now seriously improved. Of course we do not know how many of the signings were foist upon MP via favoured agents etc.

All I can say as a fan is that within about 15 games of watching Anderson/Haller I was thinking is there really a long term PL in there.

Fredericks looked ok as a PL fullback in a mid table side which is at best where we were (still believe he is just that), Fabianski looked class from day 1. Enough said on Wilshere and Sanchez and their signings. Yarmo is the difficult one for me, I like him as a player and think the injury really did for him but did we need him at the time or was it spending money in the wrong position.

With Diop it took longer to see the weaknesses, Fornals the strengths but I can understand both.

Bowen, Soucek, Coufal, Zouma it was clear there was a PL from day 1 and nothing has changed. Dawson has been one of the best value for money signings, Fabianski aside better than any of the cheaper MP signings save possibly Fredericks.

For me both Benrahma and Vlasic have areas to improve on but again they look like PL players. Areola gives us strength in depth of a CL chasing club.

Kral is the odd one. I suspect, given his comments in the summer, Moyes believes there is a player in there but remains uncertain so the loan is an opportunity to see him up real close. I actually pay less regard to his playing time than many (let’s face it he would be amazing if he earned a spot over Soucek, Rice or Lanzini given the latters recent form - something akin to the player under Moyes’s first spell when he was pretty much a guaranteed starter and one of Moyes favourite players). Moyes will asses what he sees in training.

Moyes may not have a Beatles hit list but his recent record with us suggests far more right than wrong therefore if he chooses to make few or no additions this window he has earns that right. It has zero to do with lack of ambition or unwillingness to press on as has been suggested by many.
Last edited by Gsbgsb on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2382 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:00 am Nothing can kill the vibe that commentary video gave me.

I defy anyone to watch that and not want the kid at West Ham.

"Ben Brare-e-ton, Gooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!"

Cult hero in the making.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:01 pm
Moyes talking optimistically about 2 signing

CB Philips 10m
CF lingard or traore
I don't get why we after Traore, 8 goals in 122 games, a Centre back can get that much ffs.

Lingard got more than that in his loan spell
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2382 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Ben Diaz whoaoah
Ben Diaz whoaoaoah
He comes from Chile
They didn’t know, neither did he.
Colonial Marine
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Colonial Marine »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:06 pm I defy anyone to watch that and not want the kid at West Ham.

"Ben Brare-e-ton, Gooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!"

Cult hero in the making.
Brilliant. I want him now and I don't care about logic or stats.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:02 pm All I can say as a fan is that within about 15 games of watching Anderson/Haller I was thinking is there really a long term PL in there.
Anderson had 8 goals and 2 assists in his first 20 games.

EDIT – and for that matter, didn't Haller start with a hiss and a roar too? Think you may be misremembering your foresight.
Last edited by Aceface on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Like a soap opera, they do like these windows to play out a drama! As we move into the last week, the targets they’ve had in their back pocket for the duration will be revealed…the place will go into meltdown if we don’t get the CF and CB we need as a minimum.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:02 pm Interesting though the 2 who failed most spectacularly were pretty much the two most expensive signings at the time. I am sure all players were “scouted” by someone to some degree it simply appears the level of “scouting” by whoever is now seriously improved. Of course we do not know how many of the signings were foist upon MP via favoured agents etc.

All I can say as a fan is that within about 15 games of watching Anderson/Haller I was thinking is there really a long term PL in there.

Moyes may not have a Beatles hit list but his recent record with us suggests more wrong than right therefore if he chooses to make few or no additions this window he has earns that right. It has zero to do with lack of ambition or unwillingness to press on as has been suggested by many.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... s-17954615
It's just how things go. You can be meticulous and get it wrong. He is careful yet made (relatively) big money errors.
There's no need for the colours, I'm just bored Made you look

I think most people back him and would say he's earned the right to take any approach. It's hard to argue for signings on this thread because you get accused of (or lumped in with) being desperate for anyone. I think you can believe there are the players there to improve us without going barmy or that there is some benefit in a little bit of short-termism for what could be a long term benefit still. I prefer him to have that careful mindset, it's the right thought process, but it won't be a perfect approach.

It's ok to support, rate and back Moyes but also see parts where you don't agree, feel he could improve or would criticise. I think the January window is especially hard for a manager like Moyes because he wants to be very hands-on, but he's also got a bucketload of games and a squad to manage. It's a little bit easier if you give most of it over to a recruitment team, and it's a lot easier in summer when you don't have the games, have a pre-season, people are more willing to sell and players more willing to move.

FWIW, I think Haller and Anderson were signed with a plan and things went awry, then went fully West Ham. It kinda can here.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:45 pm Not trying to portray that as a negative, you've taken it the wrong way. I've listed the business we did. Not comparing Lingard to Haller at all. My point is that most people would've said we needed a CB, CM and a forward. We brought in Lingard, sold Haller and that was it. We then lost Rice and Antonio for a few games and didn't really have the proper cover we needed. We then go into that Chelsea home game for instance. We lost and finished 2 points behind Chelsea. Lingard was the only one who offered any sort of attacking threat in the first half and all Chelsea did was hack him down. We could've done with Antonio/another forward to help with the physical side of our attack. Probably could've done with CM cover instead of Noble and we played Balbuena that day who most people had behind Diop...
Ok understand now but for me the issue last year was never not replacing Haller, the team scored the goals with or without Antonio, but the injury to Ogbonna. It was the two points dropped at home v Arsenal from 3-0 up that was the biggest loss from my perspective when both Antonio and Rice played.

We had 4 CB at the time of the window in him, Diop, Balbuena and Dawson so I am not sure a 5th during a January window was ever a reality. When he got injured it showed the level of drop off between him and his immediate replacement in Diop or Balbuena. Something we are seeing again now exacerbated by the injury to Zouma.
Colonial Marine
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Colonial Marine »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:07 pm I don't get why we after Traore, 8 goals in 122 games, a Centre back can get that much ffs.

Lingard got more than that in his loan spell
I agree. It must be down to having a similar physique, powerful and strong like Antonio....

Can that really be a reason to sign a player?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Gerblatz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:16 pm Like a soap opera, they do like these windows to play out a drama! As we move into the last week, the targets they’ve had in their back pocket for the duration will be revealed…the place will go into meltdown if we don’t get the CF and CB we need as a minimum.
No it won't. Not least because that's not the minimum we need. The minimum we need is to not sell any of the players that currently have us sitting in fourth and have got us to the proper knockout stages of a European competition for the first time since 80/81 (assuming we're not counting the Intertoto and subsequent first round knock out in the UEFA to Palermo).

Would it be useful to make a signing or two to add to the squad? Absolutely. Is it worth signing any old horseshit just so the KUMB message board doesn't go into 'meltdown'? Absolutely not.

We'll be fine with no additions. Whether we'd be better with additions is a debate worth having, but we could sign what appears to be the surest of sure things and it still not help us.