Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:06 pm I would just like to see the 6 counties of Ulster returned to their rightful owners. Brexit has made that a real posibility.

You are Declan Rice and I claim my free copy of An Phoblacht .
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

666 hammer wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:44 pm I guess 40 years is to long for remain to see if Brexit worked.
40 minutes has been too long for a few....... :lol:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:20 pm On the face of it it doesn't look like a 'push poll'. I can't see any leading wording in that poll Sam, can you?

Clearly though, The Independent would have commissioned that poll knowing it was highly likely to give results that would fit their angle. It's not been hard to see which way the Brexit wind has been blowing these last few months as the poll findings show.

If a majority of people thought that Brexit Britain was going well then the likes of the Mail, Telegraph and Express would have been commissioning their own polls by the bucketload. They're not. Just like The Independent they can see how people are currently viewing the benefits or otherwise of our decision to leave.
I've been trying to find the poll data with no success. Until I know what they asked and who they asked its pretty difficult to judge. Does the poll write the story or the story write the poll.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

It also depends on if the poll is restricted to the UK and voters in the referendum. How many times can some one vote.
Not really a bell weather as remain has been organised after the event.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

As I've said many times, being on our own is absolutely fine as long as we have a government capable of delivering to the people what they promised.

These lot couldn't deliver a KFC, and I haven't got much faith in the other lot either.

We cancelled our contracts and sent the world's worst salespeople out to find some new ones. I've got no beef with those who voted out, because they wanted something more. But there is no fuckling way on earth that we should have walked away from any of the deals we had given the absolute ****ing bell-end, selfish, in-it-for-themselves, root-of-all-evil, pull-the-ladder-up-jack, untrustworthy, fat chodes that we currently have in charge of making new deals.

If we need to build new relationships, then we're ****ed. Because this governmnt is not capable of delivering. We chose to go into the wilderness on our own, but sadly our leader has forgotten the batteries to his torch, doesn't know how to hunt or make fire, and he isn't prepared to share his massive 50 man tent with any other poor ****er because he's a selfish **** who is only interested in planting a flag in the ground and getting his name in the history books and he doesn't care how may of his team has to perish in order for him to do that.

Individually, most of us will probably be fine. But collectively, those who need the most help, those who need jobs, those who need medical care are all ultimatly ****ed. Not because of Brexit, but because every single day we lean more on more towards individual success and less about looking after those who really need it.

Anyway, I can't even remember what my actual point was. Jeez, I've become so boring even I switch off half-way through.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Turns to Stone wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:34 am

Anyway, I can't even remember what my actual point was. Jeez, I've become so boring even I switch off half-way through.
The Tory scheme working well then TTS :winker:

Great post on the state of play as we find it. :newthumb:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Turns to Stone wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:34 am Individually, most of us will probably be fine. But collectively, those who need the most help, those who need jobs, those who need medical care are all ultimatly ****ed. Not because of Brexit, but because every single day we lean more on more towards individual success and less about looking after those who really need it.
We've just had 2 years of the biggest welfare initiative in history.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:33 am We've just had 2 years of the biggest welfare initiative in history.
Cool. Well I'm glad things are going to get better for those that really needed it, because I as starting to worry about them.

My personal view is that the furlough scheme was needed of course, but cuts to lots of services that helped over the last 15 years have generally hindered those at the bottom. I think it's harder than it's ever been to get on the property ladder, I think it's getting tougher to find a solid job and I think it's more challenging for high-risk kids to get themselves out of their situation than it was for high-risk kids 20-30 years ago.

That's not just about Brexit. And it's not just about the Tories. But I don't see things improving at the moment, and I don't think that our government were focusing on the right areas before Covid.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

So.... What do you suggest. More protests! More demands reverse Brexit. Or accept the vote and move on.
When given lemons, make lemonade darling :winker:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:13 am So.... What do you suggest. More protests! More demands reverse Brexit. Or accept the vote and move on.
Cool. You lot wanted Lemonade, it's been 6 years, any chance of a recipe you all agree on yet?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:13 am So.... What do you suggest. More protests! More demands reverse Brexit. Or accept the vote and move on.
We need to let everyone face the consequences of Brexit, probably for a decade, before considering rejoining. Thanks for ****ting the bed.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:18 am Cool. You lot wanted Lemonade, it's been 6 years, any chance of a recipe you all agree on yet?
We didn't leave 6 years ago, until we did we was tied to our previous deal with Panda Pops,..........
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

EvilC wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:21 am We need to let everyone face the consequences of Brexit, probably for a decade, before considering rejoining. Thanks for ****ting the bed.
No one worried about the bed whilst in the EU. But then money was easy and labour cheap
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:41 am No one worried about the bed whilst in the EU. But then money was easy and labour cheap
Brexit has made things worse. Congratulations.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Why learn a skilled trade, nursing ect, when you are forever undercut by a infinite cheaper labour force. Unless you train and move to a non EU country. Which is what has been happening for decades.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

EvilC wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:44 am Brexit has made things worse. Congratulations.
Worse for you, better for those on lower wages.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:46 am Worse for you, better for those on lower wages.
No. It has been neutral for me, I think.

If you seriously think that the inflationary impact plus the tax impact due to relatively smaller economy are going to be a boon for those on low wages then I have a Brexit project to sell you.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Do you beleive World inflation is due to Brexit?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 am Do you beleive World inflation is due to Brexit?
No, and that isn’t what I said.

If you increase costs, via customs charges, making stuff here with people on higher wages etc. then that has an inflationary impact. You also become less competitive internationally.

So part of the inflation we face now is due to Brexit.