Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (22/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Doc H Ball »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 pm We have played 4 games away vs the current top 8 and lost them all with one goal scored - in injury time when the game was already lost

In all of them we have hardly created anything and been generally poor

If we don't make the top 6 that is one major reason why
Just read that Moyes hasn’t won at a top 6 ground for 45 matches.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 pm I really love Tommy. his effort, never say die attitude, his goals last year and he really seems to love the club.

today his passing (which has never been brilliant but good) fell of a cliff.

64% today. not awful for a forward (last week Bowen 59% today 70%) but for a midfield player it's not very good. think it was even less at h-t.
I think Soucek is a real issue for us, offensively. Hes below average on the ball. Never looks comfortable or at ease.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

We wasn’t good enough, fully accept that, they wasn’t anywhere near what I’d call a good side but we were way too cautious, gave them too much respect. A side that’s on the ropes last month or so and we gave them the chance to come at us. Defensively though, solid for the majority, great to see zouma back. Cresswell, as much as I love him, his age is showing his sharpness. The amount of times he gets the ball and takes him an age to be ready to cross means the moments gone. Rice stole the show as usual, and though no one had a bad game as such. Antonio was very subdued but I think he was well handled by Varane and maguire rather than not turning up.

As for the goal, is what it is and we knew something wouldn’t go our way if it came to this, how many goals we had this season go 3/4 mins being checked and this nothing. We didn’t perform well and probably don’t deserve anything, but from the official offside photo is it me or does the “lines” and the 18 yard line seem skewed? Thought it was me at first but a couple of people have mentioned it to me now
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Just feels like someone just deleted my Saturday.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 pm The question is, do we shut up shop and invite them on us by being negative, or do we try win the game? Personally I felt we handled them well, but bringing Vlasic on would have given us an extra outlet. He would have been more comfortable on the ball than Fornals or Lanzini for me, and also he knows how to use the space better. The fact his legs would have been fresh would have also been a bonus.
I'm not a Vlasic fan, but if he isn't better than Lanzini who has ran his socks off for 80 mins then what has he bought him for?
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Coufal hasn't been the same since talk of him not being happy about contract talks just saying :newthumb:
PrinceHisback
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by PrinceHisback »

Very very hard to take. We certainly did not play well (Coufal, Cresswell, Lanzini, Soucek, Antonio really have to do better) but should not lose that way. With two minutes left Fredericks, who can’t be tired, loses the ball twice, when there are teammates easy to pass to, shoots without purpose and then fail to get back on the counter. Bowen should not lose the ball in that moment he does and Cresswell first miss (or well seems to) the offside line and then also to keep Rashford behind him. Devastated, after the whole team fought very very hard. I’ll give all of them that.
But it has to be Moyes to take some blame. We will never have a trio like Rashford, Cavani and Martial to come from the bench. But what did we have bar Yarmo? He also have to give players like Johnson playing time. We have to have more pace. Coufal and Cressy are pretty slow and that might be ok for some games, not today.
Well, now even Wolves can put us further down.
I’m proud of the team, the hard work, but it is also details that makes things possible.
Time to build it with some new players, and some younger.
Nice to see Areola and Zouma have good games. (As Dawson had). Rice - please stay.
Last edited by PrinceHisback on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:42 pm They are all better teams than us to be fair, but yeah the way he sets us up against these sides is wrong imo. I get it at City, Liverpool and Chelsea. But Man Utd & Arsenal are poorest at the back so I never understand why we go there sit back and just concede possession, it drives me insane to hand the initiative to these sides. We have no control in the games and it’s hard to wrestle it back when your so deep all the time.
I included Wolves in that as well
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:08 pm I'm usually the first to jump up and down about bent officiating/VAR etc but this one was clearly correct. Cavani was definitely onside unfortunately.

Bit muggy that we're banging on about it when the real deficiencies were myriad and lay elsewhere.
maybe so Moley, but we pretty much always get the lines on the screen and a lengthy delay.

today neither. maybe that's what's got everyone grumpy.

there was I reckon 2-3 minutes and I'm not sure how many reviews on a City incident today to see if KDB was fouled for a pen. ditto for a Soton challenge on the City defender, neither of which went in City's way. BUT. no reviews on screen today which is why it's so contentious.

to me anyway.

but I'm grumpy as a normal event anyway

:crylol:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

brothernero wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:03 pm Fishing surely. No way are you being serious.
No, I’m not on the wind up. If that is offside and missed then the go to excuse would naturally be, ah well you can’t change a result because the goal affects the rest of how the match is played. In this instance, nothing further happened.
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:08 pm I'm usually the first to jump up and down about bent officiating/VAR etc but this one was clearly correct. Cavani was definitely onside unfortunately.

Bit muggy that we're banging on about it when the real deficiencies were myriad and lay elsewhere.
The commentary team on my stream said it looked offside & i thought it did, but i've not seen the review.
If we had scored, VAR would've forensically analysed the build up for at least 5 mins, to disallow it IMO
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

old fart wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:59 pm So why do you bother?
For the stupid belief that I still want to believe our league is clean & corruption free.

But sadly it's blatantly not. How many teams have had 3 players sent off unfairly, with 2 of the red cards rescinded? As we're knocking on the 'Top 4's' door & many, many don't f**king like that scenario. FA 'Back in your box WHU'. They must be f**ked off that we're pushing the top 4 again the following season. :D

VAR will not correct it all, but it's a start. Getting rid of it will remove the 'Top 4' safety net of getting decisions + goals against them chalked off. On a separate point, why was it only Fornals (think it was him. The clip a page back of so) putting his hand up & having a go at the linesman for not flagging the MU goal offside? You don't think the Man Utd players wouldn't be all with hands up & swarming around the REF?

We never ever should of accepted that goal to stand.
Last edited by Cardiff here we come..... on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:12 pm I included Wolves in that as well
Wolves are a much better balanced side than us. Think it’d be even if you cherry picked best 11 from both squads. Their defensive record is impressive, have a genuine top forward in Jimenez as well tbh.
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by brothernero »

Rays Rock wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:14 pm No, I’m not on the wind up. If that is offside and missed then the go to excuse would naturally be, ah well you can’t change a result because the goal affects the rest of how the match is played. In this instance, nothing further happened.

I would be embarrassed if we were to go down that route. Thankfully we won't.

Plus the goal was clearly onside. If it had gone to VAR it still would have stood.

What on earth has become of our fans of late.

Seriously asking for an appeal to try and get the result over turned.

Sheffield United would be proud.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:07 pm Sadly not! Only reason why 6th got Europa last season is cos Leicester (who finished 5h) won the FA Cup.

So yeah, we need to win the FA Cup. Or... one better, the Europa League ;)
Champions League here we come! :lol: :lol:
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:18 pm For the stupid belief that I still want to believe our league is clean & corruption free.

But sadly it's blatantly not. How many teams have had 3 players sent off unfairly, with 2 of the red cards rescinded? As we're knocking on the 'Top 4's' door & many, many don't f**king like that scenario. FA 'Back in your box WHU'. They must be f**ked off that we're pushing the top 4 again the following season. :D

VAR will not correct it all, but it's a start. Getting rid of it will remove the 'Top 4' safety net of getting decisions + goals against them chalked off. On a separate point, why was it only Fornals (think it was him. The clip a page back of so) putting his hand up & having a go at the linesman for not fagging the MU goal offside? You don't think the Man Utd players wouldn't be all with hands up & swarming around the REF?

We never ever should of accepted that goal to stand.
I'm curious is it just West Ham who are excluded from a top four spot ?
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

brothernero wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:20 pm I would be embarrassed if we were to go down that route. Thankfully we won't.

Plus the goal was clearly onside. If it had gone to VAR it still would have stood.
Speaking on BBC 5 Live, Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer thought the goal should not have stood.

“All four of us in the office thought it was going to be given offside,” he said,

“In the image we saw that was frozen, Edinson Cavani looked offside.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Heysel76 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 pm Speaking on BBC 5 Live, Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer thought the goal should not have stood.

“All four of us in the office thought it was going to be given offside,” he said,

“In the image we saw that was frozen, Edinson Cavani looked offside.
Big Al knows the score!
SA_Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by SA_Hammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:50 pm The gap between him and his teammates gets bigger every week. Each game Goes by I just can’t see how he stays, must think **** me I can do better than this.
He is so far in terms of development than Fat Frank was at the same age...he will be a colossus
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

VAR is yet another reason why I don’t go to football anymore. Normally, I’d have been looking for beer in Southampton before getting a train out of there. Maybe I’d have stayed in London to see all my old friends who were mainly Hammers.

I’m in the pub. VAR has been brought in to ensure certain teams get the right decisions. It’s not working. You get some and you don’t get some. It’s spoiling the enjoyment when you don’t know whether you can celebrate a goal. The moment has gone.