January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by duncanio »

Not saying I'd turn my nose up though.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

You can imagine the scene next Monday on transfer deadline day from a hotel in Prague where Soucek and Vlad do a video introducing Schick to the club.

Then 5 minutes later they do another video saying goodbye to Kral and wish him well on his return back to Moscow :shock:

In all seriousness I'd have Schick over DCL, he'll fit right in.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

paulhs1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:55 pm
In all seriousness I'd have Schick over DCL, he'll fit right in.
I'd be more than happy with either. They're both excellent and we need a striker.

I can't see us spending that level of cheddar though.
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

Everton look likely to be a bit of a basket case for a while and DCL will have aspirations of playing in next years World Cup so it does seem plausible him being keen on a move.

As others have pointed out, his only realistic progressive moves in this league is either us or Arsenal - no one above us look like they’ll be needing him.

That said, I can’t see him wanting to rush into a move this window.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

TommyHammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:27 pm Jamie Redknapp, Keane etc just talking about Alli needing a fresh start. Would anyone take him here? Feel like he needs a Moyes type manager to put his arm round him.
He would improve us, of course he would, but I would prefer Hazard over him. We shouldn't let personal prejudice get in the way either, there was lots of resistance to Lingard. IIRC
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If we don't want to pay 25m for Brereton (allegedly) and couldn't afford the fee for Abraham (allegedly) and don't like the quoted price of 45m for Schick (allegedly) then why would we be interested in bringing in a 60m striker?

Admittedly there were a lot of allegedly's in that sentence.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:43 pm Last two seasons he scored 15 and 21.

Putting that through the £3m a goal calculation - it averages out as 18 goals a year and the price at £54m...only £9m more than Haller but for a bloke who has comfortably outscored Haller in our league
DCL is so much better than Haller it is not even funny.

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 pm DCL is so much better than Haller it is not even funny.
Worse stats though…

Different players.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:43 pm Last two seasons he scored 15 and 21.

Putting that through the £3m a goal calculation - it averages out as 18 goals a year and the price at £54m...only £9m more than Haller but for a bloke who has comfortably outscored Haller in our league

Would they play ball at that price? Wages/turnover was 89% in their last accounts and will be very close to 100% if they continue to languish near the bottom. They've got Newcastle in 2/3 weeks.

Can they afford to take the chance of selling? Doubt it, but perhaps there is a clause. Last agreed a contract two years ago, so likely to be a good, not staggering, contract.

If people think Bowen and Rice are going to walk away from us because top 6 and good cup runs aren't good enough, then bottom half and relegation scrapping with Everton is a real bum deal.

Joining us would be a step up, but whether it's as big a step as he thinks he can get/deserves is another matter.
I think the biggest problem is that £60m as a headline is huge for a club like us - and we have seen out two record transfers disappoint recently so there may be a reluctance to put all out eggs in one basket. So my immediate reaction was that it would be too much.

I still don’t think there is any chance it will happen but the more I look at it the better deal I think it would actually be from our perspective. £60m would probably be post clauses and you have to ask yourself if DCL would be worth 2 Benrahma’s or 2 Vlasic’s. The risk to me is injury/fitness - not whether he’d score goals.

Would Schick be better value at £45m? He’d probably want higher wages, doesn’t fit home grown (meaning you have to pay a premium on another position), is a year older, may take time to adapt and probably has a higher chance of simply not suiting the PL therefore a lower sell on value. there’s a good argument there to pay £10m more for DCL.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 pm If we don't want to pay 25m for Brereton (allegedly) and couldn't afford the fee for Abraham (allegedly) and don't like the quoted price of 45m for Schick (allegedly) then why would we be interested in bringing in a 60m striker?

Considered a safer bet given that his goals are PL ones and run across two seasons?
Kretinsky's investment and a second successful season have changed the financial dynamics?
There are fewer recruitment priorities than there were last summer?
Moyes thinks he's a better player and better fit for the club than the others?
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 pm If we don't want to pay 25m for Brereton (allegedly) and couldn't afford the fee for Abraham (allegedly) and don't like the quoted price of 45m for Schick (allegedly) then why would we be interested in bringing in a 60m striker?

He'd be less than a gamble than either. He won't cost £60m. If we can waste £45m on Haller, £40m-£50m for DCL would be a conservative investment.

I wonder if this is a defining moment for Moyes. He knows he can't take us forward without this type of signing and that he won't be in a job in 9 months time if he doesn't take us forward. I'm guessing that the club can afford to sign DCL and that he would show a more immediate return than signing Brereton/Cabral/Castellanos + Nat Phillips. It might also be the type of statement signing that make Rice and Bowen think that it is worth staying around.

If we can't make this type of signing, we are never challenging the top 6.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:17 pm Considered a safer bet given that his goals are PL ones and run across two seasons?
Kretinsky's investment and a second successful season have changed the financial dynamics?
There are fewer recruitment priorities than there were last summer?
Moyes thinks he's a better player and better fit for the club than the others?
Stop justifying this. I do not want to change my username.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:15 pm I think the biggest problem is that £60m as a headline is huge for a club like us - and we have seen out two record transfers disappoint recently so there may be a reluctance to put all out eggs in one basket. So my immediate reaction was that it would be too much.

I still don’t think there is any chance it will happen but the more I look at it the better deal I think it would actually be from our perspective. £60m would probably be post clauses and you have to ask yourself if DCL would be worth 2 Benrahma’s or 2 Vlasic’s. The risk to me is injury/fitness - not whether he’d score goals.

Would Schick be better value at £45m? He’d probably want higher wages, doesn’t fit home grown (meaning you have to pay a premium on another position), is a year older, may take time to adapt and probably has a higher chance of simply not suiting the PL therefore a lower sell on value. there’s a good argument there to pay £10m more for DCL.
If it happened and then went wrong, it would be a big cock-up.

I wonder though if Moyes looks at his team and concludes that he has 7 or 8 at the right age and level and needs to fill just three or four more.

If two of those were Lingard and Tarkowski signed on 'frees' , has he got a situation where he can put almost all his funds into one player?

He'd have some sellable reserves to probably fund half the fee.
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:21 pm He knows he can't take us forward without this type of signing and that he won't be in a job in 9 months time if he doesn't take us forward.
Don't buy this at all. Reckon the job's his for as long as he wants it - think how far we've come in such a short time. If he can even hold us in the top 6 he's doing a remarkable job.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:21 pm He'd be less than a gamble than either. He won't cost £60m. If we can waste £45m on Haller, £40m-£50m for DCL would be a conservative investment.

I wonder if this is a defining moment for Moyes. He knows he can't take us forward without this type of signing and that he won't be in a job in 9 months time if he doesn't take us forward. I'm guessing that the club can afford to sign DCL and that he would show a more immediate return than signing Brereton/Cabral/Castellanos + Nat Phillips. It might also be the type of statement signing that make Rice and Bowen think that it is worth staying around.

If we can't make this type of signing, we are never challenging the top 6.

To think that a week ago some people on here were laughing at the possibility of spending £45m :coolas:

Weve got the money peeps
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Love the transfer thread. Taking the rumour on face value, apparent interest in Calvert-Lewin has finally got to, somehow, 9 months and Moyes is out of a job :D
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Rozzop »

I don't understand the Calvert-Lewin links.

He isn't exactly a like for like with Antonio. They are completely different strikers.

Wonder how he would fit in. Certainly wouldn't fit our free flowing counter style. Would be interesting to see the impact on Bowen, Benrahma, Lanzini etc.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:28 pm I don't understand the Calvert-Lewin links.

He isn't exactly a like for like with Antonio. They are completely different strikers.

Wonder how he would fit in. Certainly wouldn't fit our free flowing counter style. Would be interesting to see the impact on Bowen, Benrahma, Lanzini etc.
Too be honest I’m not sure we need, or would find an Antonio duplicate. What we need, and i believe Calvert Lewin would give us, is something different. At the moment we’re extremely one dimensional and a lot of teams I fear are working out how to best deal with us, and specifically Antonio
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

P.S - I think he's scored something like 5 against us since Moyes has been here.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

An obligatory goal compilation