January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Ironing Board »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:42 pm The Antonio is the only type of forward who would be successful in our team/system is a myth, a technically good striker who scores goals regularly would thrive imo. Add in one with decent pace and bingo.
DCL can do all the things Antonio can. Having both would be great.

HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:24 pm
I wonder though if Moyes looks at his team and concludes that he has 7 or 8 at the right age and level and needs to fill just three or four more.

If two of those were Lingard and Tarkowski signed on 'frees' , has he got a situation where he can put almost all his funds into one player?
This is what I was saying in my post as well. From the list of players who would be cheap this winter or free this summer, you could literally sign a lot of top quality in positions of need:

Jan/summer recruits:

Calvert-Lewin (ST): £50-60m
Eddie Nketiah (ST) Free
Jesse Lingard (AM): Free
Fabio Carvalho (CAM): Free
Boubacar Kamara (DM/CB): Free
Niklas Sule (LCB): Free
Niklas Stark/James Tarkowski (RCB): Free
Denis Zakaria (CM): Free
Lee Buchanan (LB): £2-3m
Sam Johnstone (GK): Free

Again, obviously we won’t sign everyone on this list, as the wages/signing fees would be astronomical. But the quality on this list is enough to at least get Moyes/Newman looking and thinking that a lot of budget can go to 1-2 players.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Carroll returning to save our season !

Sully special
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:28 pm I don't understand the Calvert-Lewin links.

He isn't exactly a like for like with Antonio. They are completely different strikers.

Wonder how he would fit in. Certainly wouldn't fit our free flowing counter style. Would be interesting to see the impact on Bowen, Benrahma, Lanzini etc.
From what I've seen of him, DCL would fit very well into our system. He's hardworking, good in the air, quite physical, and certainly not slow. In fact, he looks quite pacey for such a big guy.

He's also a very good finisher.

I'd love him here. Shame there's (probably) no chance of it happening. (And boo to Ex for being a party pooper).
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Scratchy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:11 pm If I had any faith in us having a sane transfer strategy, I would assume we are exploring the high ambition targets like Schick and DCL, knowing we could get an Arthur Cabral at the end of the window relatively cheaply. I am certain however that we won't any striker.
I'd be happy with Cabral or Brereton or Schick. I even think Origi would do well here.

So long as it's not Mitrovic.
blahblahblah
Has liked: 252 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by blahblahblah »

We need speed and not even ludicrous speed like Adama Traore. Too many of our front players get caught by defenders even AFTER they've beaten their man and get a step or two. Even Antonio has lost a step after injuries. Whereas he used to run past just about any defender, this season has seen him relying on should to shoulder challenges at the end of runs to create space for a shot or a cross.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

:nonpl: The window closes one week today. Ideally we need a LCB, LB, and at least one striker, plus a couple of “depth” players better than Yarmolenko and Masuaku. At the very least we need a left sided defender and a striker. We’re trying to sign a better striker than Antonio and a better defender than Ogbonna. We’re all hoping for one of Schick, David, Isak, Belotti, Scamacca, Calvert Lewin, En Nesyri and one of Botman, Kilman, Lloyd Kelly or Caleta-Car. I think we’ll fail in attracting our top targets, but after not signing a striker in the summer or last January, and admitting to have been frustrated in his search for two years, it is possible Moyes compromises enough to squeeze Sullivan into buying the cheapest and easiest of our primary(ish) targets. I hope we at least get Diallo on loan and Cabral or Origi because they are a huge improvement on nothing, and if we don’t sign anyone you get pretty much guarantee Antonio’s hamstring goes.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

What Ex said on his Patreon, with regards to Calvert-Lewin:

We can confirm that there is no truth in the story today linking us with Dominic Calvert-Lewin. The manager has not identified him as a target and it isn’t believed that Everton want to/need to sell him, despite reports. I have been reassured that there is money available for Moyes to buy players but as yet he hasn’t managed to narrow down a target he wants that is available. Work will continue this week.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

So, 3 weeks into the transfer window, if 'Ex' is to be believed, Dithering Dave is still yet to narrow down his list of targets
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:14 am So, 3 weeks into the transfer window, if 'Ex' is to be believed, Dithering Dave is still yet to narrow down his list of targets
And yet last week Ex said Moyes had put in a bid for Lingard….
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1081 likes
Total likes: 1386 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 am What Ex said on his Patreon, with regards to Calvert-Lewin:

We can confirm that there is no truth in the story today linking us with Dominic Calvert-Lewin. The manager has not identified him as a target and it isn’t believed that Everton want to/need to sell him, despite reports. I have been reassured that there is money available for Moyes to buy players but as yet he hasn’t managed to narrow down a target he wants that is available. Work will continue this week.
This screams that Ex has been fed a bit of propaganda... a few people are panicking that if we don't sign anyone so they're laying the foundations to blame Moyes. I don't blame Ex...he's passing on what he has been told but it's a shame that there is still this culture coming from the top

It's going to be an interesting week, the domino's will begin to fall
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 am What Ex said on his Patreon, with regards to Calvert-Lewin:

I have been reassured that there is money available for Moyes to buy players but as yet he hasn’t managed to narrow down a target he wants that is available. Work will continue this week.
This seems par for the course for Sulli…sounds like he’s back to the usual games of throwing unsuitable names from favored agents at DM…and Moyes saying no, while DM has probably has given names of players who may be one or more of: more established/expensive/not signed by favorite agents and had these suggestions rebuffed by the owners as too expensive.

This way, at the end of the window, they can claim they made the money available and it is the managers fault we didn’t sign anyone. Leak the above to ex, rinse and repeat the line for the next 4 windows
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

I don't get the expression 'available players'. It's a new phenomenon. Is there some of football player Ebay where you can bid for 'available players'?

Were any of Lacazette, Aubameyang or Pepe being actively touted for sale when Arsenal spent a combined £175m on them? I think not. Arsenal would have been knocked back initially when they made their 1st offer. Were Suarez or Coutinho available when Barcelona initially contacted Liverpool?

There is a difference between offering peanuts and the player not being for sale. Players not being available is rubbish, they are all available. It's bloody annoying that this phrase is used as an excuse.

"We are too prudent (tight/don't have the money) to offer what the selling club wanted"

At the time we paid well over the odds (eye watering amounts) for Phil Parkes, Ray Stewart and Paul Goddard. They ended up being the missing links in a team that led to the most successful period I have witnessed in my 55 years. Frustratingly I believe we are on the verge of a similar era, we just need to add a couple of top quality attacking options.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

We can confirm that there is no truth in the story today linking us with Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
I respectfully disagree. Moyes’ challenge in getting players in is due to the fact that he is trying to shop in Waitrose rather than Tesco. He got Zouma in the Summer and is wanting another top shelf product from there.

The DCL rumour came completely out of left field and was not an obvious player to connect to West Ham. This is why I think it has some validity. Do I think we will get him? Perhaps not; Do I think we made an enquiry? I think so.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Peaches wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:17 am :nonpl: The window closes one week today. Ideally we need a LCB, LB, and at least one striker, plus a couple of “depth” players better than Yarmolenko and Masuaku. At the very least we need a left sided defender and a striker. We’re trying to sign a better striker than Antonio and a better defender than Ogbonna. We’re all hoping for one of Schick, David, Isak, Belotti, Scamacca, Calvert Lewin, En Nesyri and one of Botman, Kilman, Lloyd Kelly or Caleta-Car. I think we’ll fail in attracting our top targets, but after not signing a striker in the summer or last January, and admitting to have been frustrated in his search for two years, it is possible Moyes compromises enough to squeeze Sullivan into buying the cheapest and easiest of our primary(ish) targets. I hope we at least get Diallo on loan and Cabral or Origi because they are a huge improvement on nothing, and if we don’t sign anyone you get pretty much guarantee Antonio’s hamstring goes.
We can agree that we need a striker more than any other position.

I'm not sure I'd agree that LCB, LB are the next most essential (although it would be nice). For the rest of the season, signing say Lingard, in addition to a striker would be more useful than a Full Back and a Centre Back.

We can hope that we don't get injuries at the back but we will need attacking options.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1982 likes
Total likes: 4731 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:26 am I don't get the expression 'available players'. It's a new phenomenon. Is there some of football player Ebay where you can bid for 'available players'?

Were any of Lacazette, Aubameyang or Pepe being actively touted for sale when Arsenal spent a combined £175m on them? I think not. Arsenal would have been knocked back initially when they made their 1st offer. Were Suarez or Coutinho available when Barcelona initially contacted Liverpool?

There is a difference between offering peanuts and the player not being for sale. Players not being available is rubbish, they are all available. It's bloody annoying that this phrase is used as an excuse.

"We are too prudent (tight/don't have the money) to offer what the selling club wanted"

At the time we paid well over the odds (eye watering amounts) for Phil Parkes, Ray Stewart and Paul Goddard. They ended up being the missing links in a team that led to the most successful period I have witnessed in my 55 years. Frustratingly I believe we are on the verge of a similar era, we just need to add a couple of top quality attacking options.
Weren't all of your examples summer transfers?

Players are unavailable because it's midseason and they're needed for promotion, title, or European pushes, or relegation fights.

Would we sell any of our first 11 players right now for any amount of money?
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm that confident we will sign players, that if we don't, I will log out of KUMB and never return..

Stop cheering at the back!!
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

S-H wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:34 am I'm that confident we will sign players, that if we don't, I will log out of KUMB and never return..
Just to clarify the terms, is that player or players?
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:40 am Just to clarify the terms, is that player or players?
Players.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Thank you.