January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by LeonRivers »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:56 pm That's only one part. He can say where he won't go of course, but he cannot dictate where he DOES go at this point. So it's not all "down to the player".
You're misinterpreting the claim. "it's down to the player" whether he leaves or not. They claim that an acceptable offer has been received by his club. If he wants to accept it, he'll leave. If he doesn't, he'll stay. Everything 'is agreed' between the clubs. The player will decide if he goes or not.

He certainly does not hold all of the cards with regards his long-term future (not for another 5 months, anyway), but he does hold all the cards specifically with regards to that one particular offer once the clubs have agreed a deal.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

If 10 million buys Lingard on a permanent deal we should just pay it. You got to look it that he’s worth more than that value in reality (take away contract situation) so although it’s paying more than we may want it’s still a good deal for a very good player.
It’s harsh if Man Utd won’t sell to us - on Lingards part.
He’s kept loyal to Man Utd without kicking up a fuss.
OGS said previously that he wanted what’s best for the player. He’s gone, but the club should honour it by showing him some loyalty.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Re Lingard, I'd imagine that Sky Sports are already working on a scenario where Jim White is sat in a helicopter with Jesse Lingard at 23:45 on Deadline day deciding on whether they should fly to Rush Green or Newcastle.
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:36 pm Surely the Broja rumours are a complete non-starter whilst he is on loan at Soton?
Agreed. Like most of names on here they should be in the Summer Transfer thread.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If Lingard really wants to join us he knows what he has to do. If he doesn’t then by all means join Newcastle, or whichever club he would prefer to wait for in the summer. And no hard feelings if he does.

The ball is in his court. No one else’s.
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

I struggle to understand how and why we should prioritize Lingard as a target over the glaring holes we have already in the team. If Lingard ends up being the "striker" brought in this window, it would be a mistake.
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

What i don't understand is despite the club being on an upward trajectory the last two years and being in the Europa league we don't seem to be attracting the "next level" signings.

Areola and Zouma are good players. So are Soucek and Bowen. I don't mean the quality of the player I mean the reputation.

And no I don't mean over the hill 35 plus year olds who once played for Real Madrid. Nobody wants that. But Villa recently got Digne and Coutinho. Everton got James Rodriguez.

Someone mentioned signing Eden Hazard a few pages back and I laughed. Not just because he is a shadow of the player he was but because he would either never come here or we wouldn't be interested.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Newcastle bid £10m loan fee. Man U accept. Lingard says "I'd rather go to West Ham"
West Ham offer £5m permanent fee and £5m signing on fee. Take it or leave it. We're not paying any more.

Offer them the max we're willing to pay, and declare it as such. Accept it now or we'll look elsewhere. We don't have time to mess around. We've only got £10m for this deal. If you refuse it, we'll give Lingard a £10m signing on fee in the summer.
Man U get £5m less than they might have done, but also get £5m more than they will at the end of the season.

No reason why any of this needs to happen on the last day. WHU and Lingard can force this through now. At the very least, we will know if we need to look elsewhere for the remainder of this season.

To be honest, if the above is close to what actually is happening, it probably happened at the start of the window and we were told the transfer would only be sanctioned after our recent match.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

VeniceHammer wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:16 pm I struggle to understand how and why we should prioritize Lingard as a target over the glaring holes we have already in the team. If Lingard ends up being the "striker" brought in this window, it would be a mistake.
But 'you' said this last season and he scored 9 goals.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2655 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:32 pm I was simply asking the question of who you think for £25m would've been better than Benrahma. Or if you want to go the data route, who you think would've produced better numbers. Literally just asking a question based on the opinion you gave. There's no hidden agenda.

As for Watkins, what did they pay, £33m? I think Joao Pedro looks a great player and could be cheaper. Ismaila Sarr also at Watford would probably be similar price, but I'd much rather have him. I'd have happily seen us take Edouard for the price or even Origi, both of which would cost half. Berardi might have been obtainable at the time. Again, my opinion. People may rate Watkins higher and that's fine. Personally, I'm happy we got Benrahma.
It wasn't me that wanted to go the data route, it was you. I'd love to have had a forward that would hit double figures. We have been looking for (and failing to sign) a forward for two years and have not done so.

For me Benrahama blows hot and cold. It seems that there was more availability of attacking midfielders than forwards. We signed a pretty reasonable attacking midfielder on loan last January who outperformed Benrahma pretty comfortably in his short spell at the club.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

VeniceHammer wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:16 pm I struggle to understand how and why we should prioritize Lingard as a target over the glaring holes we have already in the team. If Lingard ends up being the "striker" brought in this window, it would be a mistake.
Surely no one is suggesting signing Lingard and not a forward? Be ludicrous if we done that. Lingard should not be a priority
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Rozzop wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:20 pm What i don't understand is despite the club being on an upward trajectory the last two years and being in the Europa league we don't seem to be attracting the "next level" signings.

Areola and Zouma are good players. So are Soucek and Bowen. I don't mean the quality of the player I mean the reputation.

And no I don't mean over the hill 35 plus year olds who once played for Real Madrid. Nobody wants that. But Villa recently got Digne and Coutinho. Everton got James Rodriguez.

Someone mentioned signing Eden Hazard a few pages back and I laughed. Not just because he is a shadow of the player he was but because he would either never come here or we wouldn't be interested.
Yeah. Much rather James Rodriguez than Jarred Bowen. :?
VeniceHammer

Post by VeniceHammer »

LeonRivers wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:22 pm But 'you' said this last season and he scored 9 goals.
I am not saying Jesse is a bad player per se, but it looks like we will sign maximum 2 players this window, and only one striker. Choosing him would mean another 6 months of 1 senior striker in the team. And I'm sure next summer it will be so difficult to recruit someone perfect for us, maybe we should kick the can down the road until january...
VeniceHammer

Post by VeniceHammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:23 pm Surely no one is suggesting signing Lingard and not a forward? Be ludicrous if we done that. Lingard should not be a priority
The point is that Moyes himself said 2 players. And since he took a year and a half to (maybe) identifying one capable striker, I struggle to believe both these signings would be attack oriented. Plus...we did the exact same last january lol.
Benaloon
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Benaloon »

Rozzop wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:20 pm What i don't understand is despite the club being on an upward trajectory the last two years and being in the Europa league we don't seem to be attracting the "next level" signings.

Think in both the everton & villa examples the pull was the manager - James moved for Ancelloti, coutinhno because of gerrard and then digne off the back of that.

I think like it or not Moyes is never going to be a 'sexy' manager that can draw players of the top calibre in - we're going to have more success with players who can see he will give them an opportunity to get better (see Bowen).

Also the club reputation type things take time to move in any significant way - 1.5 seasons of being in the top 6 isn't going to make much difference in the minds of most players - I'd say 5 years or so of that would though as it proves it's no passing fluke.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

If we sign Lingard then we still need a forward and a centre back.
We cannot keep kicking the can down the road, especially as Antonio clearly needs a break.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I'm confused at who you do mean. Are you referring to players like Vlahovic? I think it'd take more than one season finishing 6th to be able to battle with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd etc on star names with big reputations. Plus those clubs will pay an awful lot more wages than we do.

EDIT: Ahh, you saying you wanted us to have signed the likes of Digne, Rodriguez and Coutinho. Players in their late 20s/early 30s for massive fees and mega wages. That's not the model we're following is it. It could all go a bit QPR if that's not done right. I like what we're doing. And the players we are attracting is next level for us.
Last edited by steveyrockstar on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2712 likes

Post by sendô »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:13 pm Re Lingard, I'd imagine that Sky Sports are already working on a scenario where Jim White is sat in a helicopter with Jesse Lingard at 23:45 on Deadline day deciding on whether they should fly to Rush Green or Newcastle.
Tbh stoney I'd love to see a helicopter that can get from Manchester to east London in quarter of an hour.
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I think the reason those players joined the clubs they did was because no one else bid for them (including West Ham). Nothing to do with who was the most attractive.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:13 pm Re Lingard, I'd imagine that Sky Sports are already working on a scenario where Jim White is sat in a helicopter with Jesse Lingard at 23:45 on Deadline day deciding on whether they should fly to Rush Green or Newcastle.
:D