January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Doc H Ball »

It’s just warming up…
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Chadwell Chief wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:33 am Not that bothered about transfers today after hearing the news about Isla Caton. Life is outrageously cruel. How anyone can say there’s a supreme being somewhere when children suffer and die from cancer I’ll never know. Would rather end up in hell than worship a **** like that anyway. RIP
I hadn’t seen the news until this post - can’t be doing with anything right now - doesn’t matter really.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

kitthehammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:01 am Maybe Soucek and coufal might be the only Czech players worth getting apart from Schick?
There's Barak who's playing in Serie-A. he's fairly decent and we've been linked with him before now.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Talks are progressing well over a deal for Manchester City to sign Julian Alvarez from River Plate.

City are expected to pay a fee in the region of £17m for the Argentina striker.

Obviously there is wages to consider but at that transfer fee, why is this not a player we would go in for?
status i suppose, champions league?

Newcastle have stepped up their pursuit of Jesse Lingard.

The Magpies are willing to pay almost £500,000 a week to land Lingard on loan
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:06 am A Spanish mate reckons that the Spanish press are reporting that we’re close to signing Iago Aspas from Celta Vigo for 10m euros. Can’t believe that’s true as he’s 34. Unless it’s a bold stop gap until the summer.

I can’t see it reported anywhere else.
Can't see this being true, to be honest - Aspas loves Celta so much. The guy cried a couple of years ago after scoring the winner against Villareal. He is beloved there and he loves it there. Doesn't match the profile Moyes would want to be signing either, I don't think.
ironilunga wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:52 am Daka and Edouard are decent enough prem standard strikers. However, I think Moyes is looking for a striker that is a class above (DCL or El Nesyri).

If Moyes gets his man this window then we will marvel at his aspirations for our club and self flagellate for doubting him.
I think this is really true, and worth taking into account. We certainly could have signed a striker in the past couple of seasons, but my thinking is that what Moyes wants is someone who is better than Antonio. I don't think he wants to spend money unless he's convinced the player is going to improve the team on the pitch, either immediately or within 12-24 months. We've long said that the way to improve is to buy better than we have, then relegate our current first teamers to the bench - I think Moyes views it the same way.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:38 am We've long said that the way to improve is to buy better than we have, then relegate our current first teamers to the bench - I think Moyes views it the same way.
Fair enough. But in terms of 'better than we have' we don't have anyone to replace Antonio, so it really wouldn't be difficult to buy better.
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Well, there aren't many strikers who have outperformed Antonio over the past couple of seasons, are there? And even fewer of them who outperform Antonio at what Antonio does in terms of playing style.

Even if you reduce it to simply the players that scored more than him in the Premier League last season, it's only a clutch of 19 players. Take out the unrealistic (Kane, Salah, Son, Rashford, Mane, Bale) and the non-strikers (Fernandes, Gundogan, Zaha, Pereira) and you're left with a list of Bamford, Calvert-Lewin, Vardy, Watkins, Wood, Wilson, Ings, Iheanacho. Some of those are unsuited to our system (Wood, Ings), some would be very unlikely moves due to age and injury history (Vardy, Wilson). So Bamford, Calvert-Lewin, Watkins, Iheanacho are your list of four possibilities who scored more in the Premier League last season and might be realistic striker targets for us. The first three are all key to their clubs and their prospects going forward - unlikely to leave in January. Leaves us with Iheanacho.
kitthehammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:01 am why is my gut telling me that signing Hlozek is about the equivalent of signing Jordan Hugill?
Kral is also a czech international and he's not even getting picked after two other injured players, arthur masuaku and sonny perkins.
What does not getting picked to play at left back or striker have to do with Kral, a central midfielder?
Last edited by YorksHammer on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Interesting to see Psycho's comments on Lingard. If the barcodes really are offering that level of silly money I can't see him turning that down.

Apologies for talking about transfers in the Wayne Rooney thread.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

steveyrockstar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:35 am Wow, I posted an actual transfer rumour 3 pages back and it seems to have got totally missed among a load of debate about Rooney and Everton.
I saw it mate. Made me think whether Aspas would be a good stop gap for now to allow us to sign a proper forward in the summer.

Like how Everton signed Rooney again in his 30s. God that was a banger he scored against us. He still had it at that age didn’t he?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:47 am Interesting to see Psycho's comments on Lingard. If the barcodes really are offering that level of silly money I can't see him turning that down.

Apologies for talking about transfers in the Wayne Rooney thread.
He’s 1/3 to go Newcastle.

Traore is 1/20 to go to Spurs.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Newcastle to offer Lingard £500,000 a week on load till the summer

The Magpies are willing to pay almost £500,000 a week to land Lingard on loan, according to The Sun.
Last edited by Rasp on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Rasp wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:52 am Newcastle to offer Lingard £500,000 a week on load till the summer
This sport has blown way off course :thumbdn:
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Rasp wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:52 am Newcastle to offer Lingard £500,000 a week on load till the summer
No they're not - they're offering to pay his £100k a week wage, then roughly £400k a week to Man United to sign him.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:55 am No they're not - they're offering to pay his £100k a week wage, then roughly £400k a week to Man United to sign him.
I stand corrected but it is only what I have read.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

kitthehammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 am Talks are progressing well over a deal for Manchester City to sign Julian Alvarez from River Plate.

City are expected to pay a fee in the region of £17m for the Argentina striker.

Obviously there is wages to consider but at that transfer fee, why is this not a player we would go in for?
status i suppose, champions league?
Because there are no strikers available for us, silly kitt.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:55 am No they're not - they're offering to pay his £100k a week wage, then roughly £400k a week to Man United to sign him.
Hi York’s,
Appreciate so much sh&£ around, but I’ve just seen another fan forum that Newcastle have offered him 50% take home pay rise. The balance may be going to Manure as phased loan fee, but what do I know. Always a risk to our prospects that other clubs start throwing money about.

It could all be boll*&£ of course as nearly everybody is speculating in the absence of any real deals.

👍🇨🇿
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

time to forget lingard me thinks !
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:01 am Hi York’s,
Appreciate so much sh&£ around, but I’ve just seen another fan forum that Newcastle have offered him 50% take home pay rise. The balance may be going to Manure as phased loan fee, but what do I know. Always a risk to our prospects that other clubs start throwing money about.

It could all be boll*&£ of course as nearly everybody is speculating in the absence of any real deals.

👍🇨🇿
Morning BH59,

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did offer him a little sweetener into the deal. Let's be honest, Newcastle are desperate right now, have money to spend, and are (effectively) moving to back their new manager in the transfer market. If Howe says he wants Lingard, I suspect they'll do anything to get him.

Regarding rasps post specifically, the headline is 'Newcastle offering £500k a week to get Lingard on loan', but the details the report then have are the £100k wage/£400k loan fee split. Doesn't necessarily make it any less ridiculous, but for perspective we reportedly paid £4.5m for Lingard in wages and fees last season, split over the same period that's something like £300k a week.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I honestly have some PTSD over strikers.

When was the last time we signed a striker that didn't turn complete and totally sour.

I genuinely think it was the Harewood, Zamora, Sheringham influx, and of course Sir Carlton of Cole.

Other than that it's been injuries (Ashton, Carroll, even Sakho), relatively big money flops (Valencia, Haller) or just utter trash (Carew, Borriello, Piquionne, Obinna, Baldock etc.)

Any striker we sign has me sitting in the corner rocking backwards and forwards.

I'd love us to sign Schick, or Calvert-Lewin but I'm convinced if we did they'd be hit by a truck the next day or decide to quit football to take up their dream career of being a life model.