January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Ozza »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:31 pm There's no guarantee Newcastle will be after the exact same players as us, or that people will want to go to them.

Honestly people seem to think if we finished 8th this season it'd be a disaster. It wouldn't.

We'd be better off coming 8th and signing good value signings in the summer so that we're stronger next year than panicking and signng the wrong players for big fees now in the desperate hope we can still come top 4/6/7 or whatever.

Just because we've come top 6 once, doesn't men we're entitled to do so again, nor does it mean "signing a striker" will allow us to do so.
It would be a disaster if our lack of striker saw us 8th where if we had one we could finish top 6 to top 4, which then means were not in Europe and stifles our development as a club and has our captain his question future here.

I really wonder at this thinking on here at times
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Arnautovic in our team now would be lethal. Infinitely better footballer than Antonio who's been almost useless since his last minute winner at Leeds.

A striker to come in as first choice is needed, not someone to be a backup to Antonio.
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

Julien Snow Bear wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:25 pm Spurs have got a whole squad of strokers tbf!
:crylol:
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

Burnley seems set to reinvest the wood money on our old friend orsic and on our supposed target Lucas alario
Kakophonix
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Kakophonix »

Vienna wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:02 pm If we don't sign Hlozek we are ridiclous, he is just what we need.
Hlozek would have much better odds than Kral to get into the game as a substitute ...but he is absolutely out of question as a starting eleven because he is not even as good as Vlasic...true, he is younger. But it seems he is very close to his ceiling. He is not improving last two seasons...and that is big red flag. LW or LAM, that is his position. He is not even close to Antonio or Schick. Hlozek is currently at decent Championship level...not a star of Championship
SiO
Has liked: 560 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by SiO »

I'm relatively sure Moyes will utilise Bowen or Vlasic up top if needed, whilst he will add more pace to the midfield (assume Lingard) and a centre half. I'd like the striker who will truly make our squad indefinitely better but can't see him being available this window. I'd be a tad peeved if he didn't roll up in the summer though. That would be very disappointing.

In Moyes I trust. Despite a bit of a wobble, by our standards, I'm really confident and proud of our boys and the way we play the game, unaided by the refs, over the last two years.

Ultimately, I live in hope but not expectation really :wine:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4737 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Ironheart wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:50 pm But not for other teams. Weird that
Have our peers made lots of signings? I must have missed the new signings that's Arsenal and Tottenham have unveiled.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:46 pm I'm starting to sweat..
We can rule you out as being Prince Andrew is disguise then.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

I think the point is the player we wanted wasn’t available this time last year or in the summer or now, what are we doing, waiting for his contract to expire?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Lingard, En-Nesyri and Tarkowski/Carboy.

(Puts feet up.)
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

I am Legend wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:57 pm And that is why I can't stand Ex. Always has to throw in some almost Advertising like bull**** in there.

I think he knows sweet fa about anything. Moyes and Newman don't seem to share anything with anyone.
I too am shocked people pay for his 'information'
He seems to know some things but he's very vague 'we could go for this player' or 'we have interest in him but his club might not sell'
Hopefully moyes is stopping the leaks these days
SiO
Has liked: 560 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by SiO »

-DL- wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:07 pm We can rule you out as being Prince Andrew is disguise then.
Although I think, yes, I think I saw him at Pizza Hut so maybe?
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

I reckon the number 1 target is Caleta Car on a loan to buy but if that fails then we have Abdou Diallo lined up on loan from PSG.

We will then have one more go at Jesse, but it's likely a non starter if the bar codes are throwing obscene amounts of money around.

We dont even seem to be anywhere close on a forward.

I reckon we end up with one player but genuinely hope I'm wrong
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Wilko1304 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:30 pm One is our record Premier League goalscorer, the other is ifs and buts.

If anyone thinks this is the argument around a striker, or Moyes's reason for not buying another, you're on one.

Antonio statistically better on shot creation, defending from the front. Antonio last two seasons and Arnie's two seasons, both players scored 0.15 goals per shot.

On the record goal scorer, come on it’s hardly eye watering numbers. Isn’t Mark Noble 3rd on the list? I don’t get and never got at the time why such a big deal was made of it when he scored 2 against Leicester. Arnautovic is a better footballer than Antonio, give up the stats, he is a better player it’s simple.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 617 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:21 pm Spurs have 3 strokers kane son birdwyn we have stoning

You are Officer Crabtree and I claim my 5 ponds.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

The issue for me is whether the money is in the club for the player that Moyes wants.

It was evident that Abraham was the one the manager wanted, Chelsea made it clear it was a perm offer for £40m and that he was available, we went in with a loan to buy option, Chelsea told us to do one, then we waited as the clock ticked down on the window thinking that Chelsea would shift their stance, the player even said he wanted to stay in London when it was reported Leicester and Villa were interested.

We know the rest
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Caleta Car is a very strong defender and a decent passer. He'll certainly be fine in terms of the physicality and aggression of the premier league. He's very strong in the air too. My only reservations are that he hasn't looked particularly mobile the last couple of seasons... and he can be a little bit too aggressive sometimes. I think he may give away a penalty or two,
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by stammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:06 pm Have our peers made lots of signings? I must have missed the new signings that's Arsenal and Tottenham have unveiled.
Arsenal, spurs or anyone signing someone does not detract from our need for a plan B striker or another centre back who has better distribution than the "super striker" duo that we have muddled through with. I dont get the link.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:07 pm We can rule you out as being Prince Andrew is disguise then.
Although he is a bit of a Queen
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think even Robbie Keane could do a job for us right now.