January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

e20too
Has liked: 666 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by e20too »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:26 pm But, but, I thought I'd read he wants to go to Newcastle and we'll never sign anyone ever and next season every single team in the country except us will spend £100 million and Rice, Bowen, Fornals and Soucek will leave and the club will collapse and have to reform as AFC West Ham at the bottom of the football pyramid.

Such a sliding doors moment if we'd only buy Gabriel Barbosa to come off the bench 5 times this season we'd finish 4th.
Wow hadn’t realised the Beano was that insightful.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

NedN wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:45 pm It doesn't. At his age I'm not sure if he can run the channels well enough to be an Antonio alternative.
He does look a bit like Bluto these days though, which is surely an asset?
Colonial Marine
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Colonial Marine »

Colonial Marine wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:49 pm Some more padding to get us to page 817.

Clermont allegedly looking to sign Komnen Andric from Dinamo Zagreb to replace Bayo when he 'possibly' joins West Ham...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/01/25/a ... placement/

Or we could cut out the middle man and just sign Andric?

Again never heard of him, will have to check out his haircut.
No, Andric looks ****.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:21 pm Phil Jones it is then...
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 pm Definitely not. However I do think Fab has gone up a level since Areola came in.
To be fair most blokes go up when near an Areola :grin:
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Denzil wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 pm Why are Newcastle trying to loan him? Surely they can just pay £10m transfer fee.
I get the feeling he very much wants to join us though is being blocked by Man Utd. Loan to Newcastle and permanent transfer to us in the summer.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

ageing hammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:53 pm To be fair most blokes go up when near an Areola :grin:
I honestly don’t think Fabs knows how to handle Areola….
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

IF (big if) we are asking to loan Caleta-Car then that is unbelievably cheeky. Imagine Espanyol approaching us and asking to take Zouma or Fornals on loan :lol:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Between them Burnley and Man United are giving everyone in the Premier League a lesson on how to deal with Newcastle right now.

'We want Chris Wood'
'His release clause is £25m, pay it or leave'
'OK!'

'We want Jesse Lingard'
'Well, it'll cost you £10m'
'Would you take £6m?'
'Nope, £10m'
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 156 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Are we all thinking Broja is unlikely? I also like the look of Brereton-Diaz for his pace and work rate, but neither seem likely this window.

Who will be this window's David Speedie or Clive Allen? :crossed:
DublinDave
Has liked: 2751 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:53 pm Image
Phil Jones is wasted in this era...
He would have been world gurning champion in the 1950's...
Nowadays he's just a particularly ugly, oft injured footballer on massive money who sits on his hole alot.
I joked earlier, if we do sign him I will probably be sick...
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Loved the idea of Auba on half wages. We could pay him a third wages and he would still be our second most expensive after Zouma. Seems he is on £350k a week.

Do not want En-Nesyri guy is an out and out cheat.

Still hoping on Lingard signing but if it is nobody rather that than the wrong body on a long term deal.

Loans who cares? With rare exceptions (eg a Lingard or equivalent) the quality of players who are affordable and seem to be available on this basis are unlikely to get much game time without a real injury emergency.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

5 days left in the window and more things getting done. Seems like it’s not impossible to find a striker in January. Sevilla have signed Martial on loan, Juve are on the verge of signing Vlahovic. Fiorentina who have also signed Jonathan Ikone are close to replacing Vlahovic with Cabral. Barca look to be signing Morata, and Man City are signing Julian Alvarez.
That’s 7 pretty high level strikers/forwards moving (I’m not counting Chris Wood), don’t get me started on centre backs and left backs.
Speaking of Left backs, Arthur is being linked with Fenerbache and Napoli, my Italian is a bit rusty, but seems like Napoli have been offered Arthur, but are luke warm on the idea. I can see him going to Atalanta to replace Robin Gosens if he moves to Inter.
I hope to God we get Caleta-Car in. I can’t think of a club and player who were a better fit. Apparently Vlasic has been talking up West Ham to him. Moyes has scouted Caleta-Car for 18 months, apparently we’ve tried to sign him at least once. He’s now available for a reasonable fee, and we want a loan. Caleta-Car for £15 to £17M is not a gamble. Playing Zouma on the left side, or playing him with Diop is a gamble. I hope common sense prevails on this one.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Peaches wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:40 am 5 days left in the window and more things getting done. Seems like it’s not impossible to find a striker in January. Sevilla have signed Martial on loan, Juve are on the verge of signing Vlahovic. Fiorentina who have also signed Jonathan Ikone are close to replacing Vlahovic with Cabral. Barca look to be signing Morata, and Man City are signing Julian Alvarez.
That’s 7 pretty high level strikers/forwards moving (I’m not counting Chris Wood), don’t get me started on centre backs and left backs.
……
Not seeing the 7 but anyway..

If Man Utd are balking at loaning/selling us Lingard why loan Martial who will earn £200k a week at Sevilla (who he wanted to go to). Madness for us to pay that wage even if we could attract him.

Vlahovic wanted to stay in Italy and go to Juve, if Arsenal could not attract him what chance did we have.

Cannot recall seeing Ikone so cannot say if he is “high level” but his record of 11 goals in 121 appearances for Lille hardly screams a regular goal scoring forward.

Cabral has the work permit issues discussed previously given he has few if any caps. Links suggest we looked at him.

Morata will again be a sizeable wage as well as whether he is really keen to return to the PL and West Ham ahead of Barca.

Last I read part of the deal for Alvarez (who I have not seen play so cannot comment on whether he is a “high level” striker) is that he stays with his current club until the summer so does not deal with the “immediate” issue of no striker for the next 6 months.

The only one I believe we could reasonably expected to have signed is the one you discount in Chris Wood, we could have paid his £25m release clause not that I would advocate we should have.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

WestcliffHammer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:15 pm By all accounts Lingard is pissed off he isn't allowed to go to Newcastle they'll put in a larger bid they'll get Lingard that's one deal that will happen
People do come up with some **** on here.
EssexIron
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by EssexIron »

Gsbgsb wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:29 pm I have seen both play.

Antonio would run through a wall for his team and teammates, there is no such thing as a lost cause, he just keeps battling until he cannot. Arnie not so much. How do you assess that in “better player”.

Do not get me wrong I loved Arnie when he moved central for us and would have had him back in the summer as cover but for who we are and what we are Antonio is better.
Antonio definitely definitely smiles more though. That counts for the most, just ask Haller!
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Getting bored of reading the same couple of posters talking down every single striker that someone mentions on this thread :asleep:
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 am Getting bored :asleep:
This
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The latest on Caleta-Car this morning is, we want him, we really, really, really want him, and the player really, really, really wants to come to us, but not enough to pay £20m for him and that is why we are trying to loam him
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Elsewhere:

- PSG need to sell a midfielder (Pardes, Gueye, Wijnaldum, Herrera, Danilo Perreiria) to sign Ndombele from Spurs
- AC Milan expected to go for Botman in the summer
- Vlahovic to Juve, €75m
- Newcastle and Arsenal chasing Bruno Guimares

Danilo is a CB/DM, isn't he?

Fairly sure, we were linked to this fella too..