The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by sendô »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 pm But it's not b*llocks is it?
Yes it is. It's full on "if my Auntie had b*llocks" levels of b*llocks.

Boris Johnson has easily been the worst PM in living memory. He makes Gordon Brown look Churchillian. There is no way anyone can state categorically that a.n.other - including Corbyn - would definitely have been worst.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 am
Also, we now have a presidential system now. I must have missed that.
I may be misinterpreting this, bar Brexit, the whole campaign(s) was run on a popularity contest, nowhere near enough on what policies were about, it was the most presidential campaign I have ever seen for the last GE. I also hope it will be the last seen for the UK...

It was hobsons choice at the last GE, not sure I have witnessed two less deserving numpties allowed to run for PM - well, at the same time/choice...
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Anyone reckon this is Johnson's last PMQs today?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 pm Yes it is. It's full on "if my Auntie had b*llocks" levels of b*llocks.

Boris Johnson has easily been the worst PM in living memory. He makes Gordon Brown look Churchillian. There is no way anyone can state categorically that a.n.other - including Corbyn - would definitely have been worst.
Again, you have to look at the potential.

I don't disagree on how bad Boris has been. But in general most of his failings have been buffoonery and hypocrisy.

The only serious issue I can throw is his handling and dithering over lockdowns, which may well have caused many extra fatalities. However given Corbyn would have been equally in the dark about how to deal with pandemics (we will hope he doesn't think like his brother) and would have had the same scientists advising him, we have no idea if he would have done any better.

Other than that Boris generally tries not to rock the boat, because he is a populist and a patriot.

Where would we now be with Corbyn and Europe? f*** knows, he certainly didn't.

But more seriously we now have a huge Russian issue on the horizon. As much as Boris is an idiot, I don't think he will do anything other than stick to the NATO rulebook and listen to his military chiefs.

Would you be more confident with the Salisbury denier now in charge?

As I said, two types of dangerous in charge. But different kinds of dangerous.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Aside from taking the piss out of everyone by getting pissed with his mates throughout lockdown we also seem to be getting proof today that Russia's friend Johnson intervened to make sure a crucial flight of dogs made it back from Afghanistan. Wonder how many people could have been on that plane that are now dead or in hiding waiting to be killed?

Be annoying for him if there was video of him saying he definitely played no part in that.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2626 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 pm I may be misinterpreting this, bar Brexit, the whole campaign(s) was run on a popularity contest, nowhere near enough on what policies were about, it was the most presidential campaign I have ever seen for the last GE. I also hope it will be the last seen for the UK...

It was hobsons choice at the last GE, not sure I have witnessed two less deserving numpties allowed to run for PM - well, at the same time/choice...
But wasn't Brexit partly about the primacy of parliament?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Starmer pinned The Liar down well in the PMQ's and got him to confirm he must resign he if misled parliament.

Clear as day that he's misled parliament.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:16 pm But wasn't Brexit partly about the primacy of parliament?
Not sure where you are coming from Evil? Parliamentary/legislative supremacy/sovereignty etc - is what all parties want our vote for surely?

My angle was that excluding Brexit, and I know Brexit played a huge part, the GE was fought as a popularity contest, very similar to the states, and ours was not enough about policies, and pulling policies apart from both sides - It was about "character" far too much.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm Where would we now be with Corbyn and Europe? **** knows
That about sums up my point.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm Again, you have to look at the potential.

I don't disagree on how bad Boris has been. But in general most of his failings have been buffoonery and hypocrisy.

The only serious issue I can throw is his handling and dithering over lockdowns, which may well have caused many extra fatalities. However given Corbyn would have been equally in the dark about how to deal with pandemics (we will hope he doesn't think like his brother) and would have had the same scientists advising him, we have no idea if he would have done any better.

Other than that Boris generally tries not to rock the boat, because he is a populist and a patriot.

Where would we now be with Corbyn and Europe? **** knows, he certainly didn't.

But more seriously we now have a huge Russian issue on the horizon. As much as Boris is an idiot, I don't think he will do anything other than stick to the NATO rulebook and listen to his military chiefs.

Would you be more confident with the Salisbury denier now in charge?

As I said, two types of dangerous in charge. But different kinds of dangerous.
I doubt Corbyn would have dodged cobra meetings so maybe would act quicker.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm Not sure where you are coming from Evil? Parliamentary/legislative supremacy/sovereignty etc - is what all parties want our vote for surely?

My angle was that excluding Brexit, and I know Brexit played a huge part, the GE was fought as a popularity contest, very similar to the states, and ours was not enough about policies, and pulling policies apart from both sides - It was about "character" far too much.
If you are voting Brexit for the supremacy of parliament and then get told by one of the keenest sponsors of Brexit that we have a presidential system now then I'd start to consider the choices that I have been making.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 pm Yes it is. It's full on "if my Auntie had b*llocks" levels of b*llocks.

It's also full on "if my Auntie had b*llocks" levels of b*llocks to state he wouldn't have been.
Remember it wouldn't have just been Corbyn, it would've also been his merry band of utter shitwits, both those that we know about and countless other snivelling turds that we don't.........
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pmWhere would we now be with Corbyn and Europe? **** knows, he certainly didn't.
It is hard to tell, but maybe we wouldn't have the border in the Irish Sea that the current PM insisted wouldn't happen just a few days prior to the election.
delbert

Post by delbert »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:02 pm It is hard to tell, but maybe we wouldn't have the border in the Irish Sea that the current PM insisted wouldn't happen just a few days prior to the election.
We probably would, but for different reasons, Corbyn is quite a fan of a united Ireland.....
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

delbert wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:11 pm We probably would, but for different reasons, Corbyn is quite a fan of a united Ireland.....
He could have let the 'ra loose on the prods, thereby ensuring that there is nobody left in NI to object. Decisive leadership.
sendô

Post by sendô »

delbert wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm It's also full on "if my Auntie had b*llocks" levels of b*llocks to state he wouldn't have been.
Hey, you're almost grasping the point.
delbert wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm Remember it wouldn't have just been Corbyn, it would've also been his merry band of utter shitwits, both those that we know about and countless other snivelling turds that we don't.........
So a bit like Bozza and his blithering band of boozy bash beer bendering buffoons then?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:48 pm If you are voting Brexit for the supremacy of parliament and then get told by one of the keenest sponsors of Brexit that we have a presidential system now then I'd start to consider the choices that I have been making.
I believe that he believes that he will see this out - silly sausage that he is. More importantly he ran his campaign on what a brilliant chap he is, not his party, (as per the states) and get Brexit done. or at least, that's how I saw it.
delbert

Post by delbert »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:54 pm Hey, you're almost grasping the point.
I totally get your point mate, it's based on the balance of probabilities, namely the more BJ screws up the more probable it would be that Corbyn would've made a better PM. Even putting aside the Brexit effect there is still a small flaw though, that flaw being Corbyn, BJ would have to get caught red handed sexing up one of the Queens corgi's whilst calling the NHS gay before the balance of probabilities swings far enough in Corbyns favour.
Now if Starmer had been their boss back in 2019 the balance would definitely be in his favour......
sendô

Post by sendô »

No, the point is you have no idea how good or bad a PM Corbyn would have been because he didn't become PM. It's an utter irrelevance, but only ever gets trotted out in order to somehow excuse or deflect from Johnson's utter incompetence.
delbert

Post by delbert »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 pm No, the point is you have no idea how good or bad a PM Corbyn would have been because he didn't become PM. It's an utter irrelevance, but only ever gets trotted out in order to somehow excuse or deflect from Johnson's utter incompetence.
On the balance of probabilities though.....? :grin: