January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator :  Gnome

Ding
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Ding » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:28 pm

Macca1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm
Awesome, which one's the striker?
How hard is it to understand that Moyes doesn't look at the problem as "striker" but rather "goal scorer"? He isn't obsessed by the striker position but the attacking 4-5 players who can score. Therefore he chose Lingard, Vlasic when his preferred striker wasn't available. The latter is taking longer to settle than he'd like, but all indication was that he bought him as much for his goal scoring ability as his creativity. Likewise Lingard.

It really isn't that difficult to understand, surely?

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by Gsbgsb » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm

Macca1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm
Awesome, which one's the striker?
What do you want a striker to do, score and assist.

Lingard scored 9 goals and got 4 assists in 16 games.

It is not all in the CM label.

VeniceHammer
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by VeniceHammer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm

paulhs1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:24 pm
Didnt Benrhama join in the summer but his move was made permanent in the winter?
yes.

Lovejoy
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:25 pm
Given we were in essence 3 players for 3 positions who we thought were starters in September (Bowen, Benrahma and Fornals) getting in a 4th was not a bad option especially knowing there was also AFCON on the horizon and we had not secured a striker alternative.

What we have is a, perhaps unexpected,re-emergence of Lanzini who many had largely written off but even then 5 for 3 is a minimum in some respects.

I am sure Moyes wanted a striker but if he believed the available options were not as good for the team as switching Bowen and bringing in Vlasic that is his decision.

As for the money it is not just the pure cash but also the details of the deal that nobody knows. Perhaps Moscow would take the £30 over 5 years at £6m per year whereas Chelsea wanted 50% up front?

Paint it up how you want, Vlasic before a forward was dumbfounded. Vlasic was signed as an Lingard alternative right? I think most WH fans accept that. So say Lingard rocks up here in the the next 5 days?. What’s that about, now I said yesterday you’d have to take Lingard back simply cos he is a better player than Benrahma, Fornals, Lanzini & Vlasic. But I think if Lingard did come back it would indicate Vlasic was a waste of money. If we had signed Linagrd last summer and this window was rumored and looking like signing Vlasic people would be questioning why the f*** we are looking at signing another attacking midfielder.

I’d take Lingard but the squad becomes more unbalanced if he does sign.
Last edited by Lovejoy on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm

Ding wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:28 pm
How hard is it to understand that Moyes doesn't look at the problem as "striker" but rather "goal scorer"? He isn't obsessed by the striker position but the attacking 4-5 players who can score. Therefore he chose Lingard, Vlasic when his preferred striker wasn't available. The latter is taking longer to settle than he'd like, but all indication was that he bought him as much for his goal scoring ability as his creativity. Likewise Lingard.

Clearly it is for some who see the label only not the product behind it.

Diogenes
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 267 likes

Post by Diogenes » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm

Ozza wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm
As i said last night, the thing to look at was the Abraham transfer, loads of news outlets and ITK's on here saying he was the one Moyes wanted, Chelsea made it clear he could go and it was £40k, apparently we went it in with a loan with an option to buy, Chelsea said no and Roma paid what Chelsea wanted....

If that's the player you want and you know he can do it in the prem, then pay the asking price..... my view is there isn't the cash in the sock draw to get who he wants and therefore we can only do a try before you buy
My understanding is that he didn't want to come here and if not Roma he much preferred Arsenal. Chelsea put a £40m price on his head which even most on here (including me) balked at. I also have no idea how keen on him Moyes actually was, obviously not £40m worth.

I agree that I believe we are not 'cash rich' at this present moment (or last year and probably next) and, if it can be done, a loan to buy deal has done us very well in the past (and present). Having had our fingers severely burned by Pellegrini you can understand a certain amount of nervousness. I would be very surprised if were looking at 'any' potential player to 'buy' over £25m - £30m. Indeed, my gob would be smacked!

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Post by S-H » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:34 pm

Macca1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:22 pm
So what happens if Moyes' top striker target chooses somewhere else each window? Is that it, he takes 6 months to settle on another one and risk a repeat each transfer window? That's madness. This is the third window he has has to buy a striker which he has admitted he wants.

So assuming we're not going to buy a striker in the next 5 days. What happens if Moyes 'top target' is not available again in the summer? Is that still ok, we move on again with one striker. When does it become not ok in some people's minds because to a lot of us it's already not ok.
With respect, none of us have a clue what's going on, some of us are on one side of the fence, and some are on the other side.

I'm not saying what is happening in this window, or has happened in previous windows is right, but having listened to the many answers Moyes has given to date on transfers, I'm just trying to see it through his eyes, not mine and what I want us to do, but what Moyes the manager of West Ham wants or is trying to do.

Of course I would love to see us sign a striker, a centre back, a left back, a midfielder, but you also have to be realistic and acknowledge that as frustrating as it might be, Moyes just hasn't been able to bring in his main target on the striker front, and doesn't appear to want to settle for second best, again not an approach I might agree with, but one I can certainly see the logic in.

I'm still pretty confident that we will bring in a couple of players, a CB on permanent and a striker on loan.
Last edited by S-H on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Macca1973
Has liked: 431 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by Macca1973 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:34 pm

Ding wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:28 pm

Then why does he keep saying things like he wants 'competition for Antonio' and 'I mean trying to pick a number nine up who is going to come in and make a difference to a team who is in the top six of the Premier League'

Maybe that's why it's difficult to understand.

ageing hammer
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ageing hammer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:36 pm

paulhs1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:24 pm
Didnt Benrhama join in the summer but his move was made permanent in the winter?
The broadband in the OS must be shitt

hammerddh
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by hammerddh » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm

YorksHammer wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:33 am
Does anybody know what these are? The only thing I can think of is whether or not we paid Man United the reported extra (£500k or something) for qualifying for the Europa.
Something to do with a stolen watch

Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:38 pm

He’s been playing out of skin recently.....

e20too
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by e20too » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:41 pm

Ozza wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm
As i said last night, the thing to look at was the Abraham transfer, loads of news outlets and ITK's on here saying he was the one Moyes wanted, Chelsea made it clear he could go and it was £40k, apparently we went it in with a loan with an option to buy, Chelsea said no and Roma paid what Chelsea wanted....

If that's the player you want and you know he can do it in the prem, then pay the asking price..... my view is there isn't the cash in the sock draw to get who he wants and therefore we can only do a try before you buy
I did find it interesting with Abraham that for a week the rumours were he was keen to come followed thereafter by equally strong rumours that he wasn’t interested. You assume either one or any are wrong but with Sullivan’s machinations you really do get the feeling that both are very possibly (probably) true.

This is only strengthened by the Lingard info regarding an issue ( likely money) over the loan outstanding. One flips between Sullivan being a total ball bag of an idiot and the pure self serving genius of the man by his poison pilling the situation by pissing off the other party meaning the player won’t be available so not having to either pay a largish fee for him early doors or later on pay the very high wages he will demand (and signing on fee) all under the guise of Mancs refusing to let us have him because we are so ‘massive’ a threat. How to make the fans feel good about not getting the player they want and expected eh. Just needs Lingard to not express his boyhood desire to come here in the Summer I guess to be the cherry on the cake for him.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:43 pm

Lovejoy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm
Paint it up how you want, Vlasic before a forward was dumbfounded. Vlasic was signed as an Lingard alternative right? I think most WH fans accept that. So say Lingard rocks up here in the the next 5 days?. What’s that about, now I said yesterday you’d have to take Lingard back simply cos he is a better player than Benrahma, Fornals, Lanzini & Vlasic. But I think if Lingard did come back it would indicate Vlasic was a waste of money. If we had signed Linagrd last summer and this window was rumored and looking like signing Vlasic people would be questioning why the **** we are looking at signing another attacking midfielder.
Not if we see Vlasic as replacing Yarmo or what was, in the summer, a misfiring Lanzini. It is not all about the here and now but the next few seasons as well. Get Lingard and we are even better placed as the “new striker” then definitely has to offer more than Bowen through the middle.

As a squad being able to choose from Antonio, Bowen, Lingard, Benrahma, Fornals, Vlasic and Lanzini going forward for the front 4 positions would be good in my view but in essence that is the issue for me, someone like Lingard obviates the need for a “top mark” striker and enables spending on the longer term project (like this youngster from France we are linked with). What we need is actually another quality body in that area irrespective of label.

Yes there are greater disparities elsewhere between the first team and the bench but that will always be the case in a club our size.

ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by ashbanki » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:45 pm

Personally, I would prefer another DM (Kamara from Marseilles) and the option of pushing Soucek forward than another,elderly or not right for our formation(Sulli special)CF.

paulhs1
Has liked: 533 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by paulhs1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm

Newcastle will have a brand new starting 11 by Monday at this rate

stu1
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by stu1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm

Aceface wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:20 pm
None of them looked much cop against us but hattrick against Tottenham the previous season shows he's got something about him
He looked decent in the home game against us imo, even ignoring the wonder goal.
Ozza wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:55 am
Only thing I can think of is we still owe them money? That's worrying if that's the case
That's a strange conclusion to jump to. The much more plausible reason which has been mentioned many times before is because we are a rival to them in the league. There's a strong argument to say if we'd had Lingard all season instead of them we'd still be above them.

funky chicken
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by funky chicken » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:51 pm

I get the impression Moyes does actually have 1-2 players lined up before the window slams shut. I reckon the only reason he is holding fire is because he is waiting to see if his number 1 target, or at least a player higher up in his list becomes available. E.g. if Tarkowski is his number 1 target at centre half and he doesn’t manage to bring him in, he’ll then try and bring in Caleta-Car.

It happened last summer. Moyes thought he wasn’t getting Zouma, went ahead with the Milenkovic deal and then when Zouma became available he went back for Zouma. Lingard wouldn’t come back, so he went for Vlasic instead.

The biggest myth for me is Moyes’ nickname ‘Dithering Dave’. From what I have seen in all his transfer windows he is more ‘Decisive Dave’. He knows exactly who he wants.
Last edited by funky chicken on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ding
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ding » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:55 pm

Macca1973 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:34 pm
Then why does he keep saying things like he wants 'competition for Antonio' and 'I mean trying to pick a number nine up who is going to come in and make a difference to a team who is in the top six of the Premier League'

Maybe that's why it's difficult to understand.
How so?

No one (let alone Moyes) is denying that we need another striker (or even two).

The reason why we are sitting here talking bullocks and Moyes is paid a lot of money to do what he does is that his solution to the unavailability of his preferred striker target isn't to settle for a striker he isn't sure about but rather to think of some other way to fulfil the function of "goal scoring".

And you know what? So far he has mostly been successful. The goal scoring load in this team has indeed been spread evenly among many attacking players. The thing that's let us down most in the last couple of months hasn't been the lack of another striker as much as the thinness of our defence.

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by steveyrockstar » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:56 pm

paulhs1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm
Newcastle will have a brand new starting 11 by Monday at this rate
Who was it they postponed games against in December? They must all be delighted.

Lovejoy
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:58 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:43 pm
Not if we see Vlasic as replacing Yarmo or what was, in the summer, a misfiring Lanzini. It is not all about the here and now but the next few seasons as well. Get Lingard and we are even better placed as the “new striker” then definitely has to offer more than Bowen through the middle.

As a squad being able to choose from Antonio, Bowen, Lingard, Benrahma, Fornals, Vlasic and Lanzini going forward for the front 4 positions would be good in my view but in essence that is the issue for me, someone like Lingard obviates the need for a “top mark” striker and enables spending on the longer term project (like this youngster from France we are linked with). What we need is actually another quality body in that area irrespective of label.

Yes there are greater disparities elsewhere between the first team and the bench but that will always be the case in a club our size.
But Vlasic isn’t Yarmolenkos or Lanzini’s replacement, they are still here getting game time. Vlasic was a Lingard alternative/replacement, I’m pretty sure all fans thought that and accepted that. The Bowen upfront thing needs to stop, he is essentially our only out n out winger at the club, playing brilliantly wide right, works his nuts off helping the full back out. Why move him? I just don’t get it.
Last edited by Lovejoy on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.