Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by -DL- »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am 250 quid later they said that someone must have screwed it in because there was a thread in the tyre - if I'd run it over it would have just punched a hole, not made a thread.
Just to pick up on this - not saying it wasn't deliberate btw, but you can punch a screw through a tyre and once it's it there, the rubber closes around it and an imprint of the thread is formed, so the tyre bloke (whom let's face it, are not really the sharpest tools in the box usually) is talking nonsense.

We had a spate of that around here, and it turned out someone had slung a box of screws over the carriageway in protest at new builds going up. The contractors were fine in their big tyred Transits, but loads of locals copped it instead.

It was very expensive for the bloke, as somebody named and shamed him, and he coughed to it after having it put on him, the poor sod.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:30 pm Just to pick up on this ......
Mate, after the week DL has had up at ToMoS' he probably knows a thing or two about rubber. :winker:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:45 pm Mate, after the week DL has had up at ToMoS' he probably knows a thing or two about rubber. :winker:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:45 pm Mate, after the week DL has had up at ToMoS' he probably knows a thing or two about rubber. :winker:
You're just jealous.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

-DL- wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:05 pm You're just jealous.
What was Skye like, DL?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Difficult to answer that when I was gagged and blindfolded for most of it...
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

-DL- wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:40 am Difficult to answer that when I was gagged and blindfolded for most of it...
What with it being winter, it sounds like it was quite dark in more ways than one …
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

-DL- wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:05 pm You're just jealous.
True 'dat...
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am Whilst we're talking about tyres....

I thought someone had a vendetta against me (barely believe able, I know) but having spoken to a few neighbours it seems like a lot of them have had the same experience. Obviously the work of a nut job.

Police aren't interested, won't even give it a crime number because it might just be coincidence that 20 people have run over screws. I said I'd set up cctv so we could film the bloke at it, but even then they said they wouldn't investigate, and I can't cctv the whole street.

What would you do?

You've got two choices -

A] - Sell the screws on Ebay .

B] - Burn down the Police Station .
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

-DL- wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:40 am Difficult to answer that when I was gagged and blindfolded for most of it...
A normal Saturday night for you then.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Pretty much.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Recent car purchased, problem is its not new. So no DAB, no aux-in and no USB interface. My solution buy a new cheap head unit and replace the old one.

The head unit is cheap, so not expecting much in terms of reception, and from previous experience I know that near where I live I will struggle to pick up any DAB signals. I don't want to cane my data so is there any other way to download streams without paying for the prime versions of music apps? Spotify, amazon, YouTube, etc.?

I really enjoyed listening to centreforce, so would rather copy or stream live shows as just the music can become jarring after a while.

Cheers :newthumb:
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Does it have a cassette player?

My first car was a fiesta back in 2009. A hand me down from one of my older brothers. Back then i spent a tenner on this fake cassette that jas a lead that you plug into your mp3 player (back then) and it will play it.

I'm sure they still do them and probably the cheapest and easiest way of doing it.
chelmsfordhammer91

Sorry, completely misread what you were asking.

But I'll still carry on as i found a link to what I mean, not that it will help you much!

chelmsfordhammer91

Try YouTube Vanced. I use it on my phone and it's basically a hacked version of YouTube Premium for free.

I only downloaded it to skip the ads and be able to lock my screen whilst it still plays, but you can download stuff fr YouTube to play later without using data.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:13 pm Try YouTube Vanced. I use it on my phone and it's basically a hacked version of YouTube Premium for free.

I only downloaded it to skip the ads and be able to lock my screen whilst it still plays, but you can download stuff fr YouTube to play later without using data.
Not in the Google store then?

Thanks I'll look into this. :newthumb:

Edit I'm such a muppet, not sure what I want. I had Google music = having YouTube full version now. What I'd like to do is download shows (like the centreforce ones) as it's nicer to have the tunes intermixed with BS. Used to be quite a lot on sound cloud, but that seems to have turned into free/paid version now as well.
Last edited by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:13 pm Try YouTube Vanced. I use it on my phone and it's basically a hacked version of YouTube Premium for free.

There's also one called New Pipe which is similar too.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

How do you download non-google apps on to your phone? Do you need to disable anything?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:49 pm How do you download non-google apps on to your phone? Do you need to disable anything?
You get a warning along the lines of this thing could be harmful. Just dismiss it.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

God forbid...

But when Paul Gambaccini passes away.

Who are they going to get on the morning sofa ...or on a radio soundbite.......to pay their respects to such a wonderful DJ and long standing member of the music world....??

Because, only Paul Gambaccini does that gig...... :crylol: