January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by El brooko79 »

HoustonHammer24 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:05 pm If I’m Lingard, I pay out the remainder of my contract (£2m or so) and have my new club agree to pay that plus a signing bonus. Saves the new club money, and Jesse gets to sign as if he were a free agent now, win-win.
Pretty sure (although the legal Jargon is confusing) that players can only terminate their contracts (and thus pay compensation) at the end of a season.

Also heavy sanctions if a third party (ie another club) are arranging the deal and compensating the player.

Also be surprised if you are allowed to sign for another club in the same league (again lots of words).
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:25 pm Well then, should we not just use Chesters?

They're talking about £15m Brennan Johnson. Shall we just invest a bit of time in one of our own rather than that kind of money for someone? We could spend £15m on Johnson and him not actually develop beyond his current level. We could invest some time in developing Chesters and maybe have another academy graduate regularly turning out alongside Rice and Johnson.
Chesters has made 15 appearances and scored once for the U23s this year, at the same age Johnson scored 11 and assisted 5 whilst playing for Lincoln in League 1, now has 7 goals and 6 assists for Forest.

Only a year older than Chesters.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

We have quite a few highly rated youngsters. The recent loan moves for some of them hasn't gone to plan. Potential sometimes isn't always fulfilled and we have high hopes for a few more on our books.

The lads at Fulham and Forest respectively are playing championship football and getting a fair bit of game time. Unfortunately some of our players couldn't get a game in league one.

I would be tempted to bring those players in if the opportunity presents itself. Think this is an area we need to improve in recruitment wise. Spurs in the past benefited by sweeping up some of the talent from divisions below. We need to do the same.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Surely Morelos is worth a punt as a lower cost option? Averages more than a goal every two games for Rangers.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Teams targeting the top 6 don’t stop signing players because they have a youth player who might step up in a couple of years.

If Cheater pushes on and is good enough then he’ll get his chance.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:01 pm Surely Morelos is worth a punt as a lower cost option? Averages more than a goal every two games for Rangers.
Surely you of all people know Moyes cares about a players attitude.

The blokes a liability. We don’t need to sign players like that.
Last edited by stu1 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:01 pm Surely Morelos is worth a punt as a lower cost option? Averages more than a goal every two games for Rangers.
Is he a bit of loose Canon? Welcome addition to the nutter thread
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:35 pm Possibly, although Johnson would be ahead of him at the moment. He is Forest's best player. Real pace. Imagine a young Lingard (although probably better than JL at the same age). Might end up as a striker.

Chesters is the same; pacey and direct. He should always be on the 1st team bench, could make things happen in the last 15 minutes. A better sub than Arthur (in an attacking sense).

We just have to have more attacking options.
Chesters seems to have disappeared or it's gone quiet on him since his debut in Europa. Johnson at Forest must be considerably further down the line in development, especially if you're saying he's probably better than Lingard was at that age.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

steveyrockstar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:41 pm Craig Nobody? But he's 35 and playing in New Zealand.

No, hold on, I've got something wrong there...
Ah, your autojoke generator has gone wrong! I don't think noone noticed.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

stu1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:04 pm Surely you of all people know Moyes cares about a players attitude.

The blokes a liability. We don’t need to sign players like that.
His attitude has improved. He has some quality and could end up being a decent player in the league.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Wrong thread. Morelos belongs under the ' Nutters' title.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Bayo from Clermont may be a possibility for 15m.
Fast strong scores a lot sounds ideal!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

stu1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:02 pm Teams targeting the top 6 don’t stop signing players because they have a youth player who might step up in a couple of years.

If Cheater pushes on and is good enough then he’ll get his chance.
True, but the truth is we score and create plenty of chances with our front four, and have cover for a lot of those positions too. Antonio accepted, we have at least two players that can play on the left, centrally, and on the right already in our squad. The re-emergence of Lanzini really helps us, too.

Spending £15m there seems pointless, to me. It's why a part of me thinks any move for Lingard is just wasting money right now.

Johnson ain't going to be anywhere other than the bench if he comes here. Might as well make that spot Chesters' through the next four months.

We need to upgrade Dawson/Diop to shore up defensively. It's urgent now, and I say this as someone who has and will defend Diop's ability. If we only make one signing this window, it has to be the long-term Ogbonna replacement over anybody else.

Second is then the Antonio alternative/upgrade.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:23 am True, but the truth is we score and create plenty of chances with our front four, and have cover for a lot of those positions too. Antonio accepted, we have at least two players that can play on the left, centrally, and on the right already in our squad. The re-emergence of Lanzini really helps us, too.

Spending £15m there seems pointless, to me. It's why a part of me thinks any move for Lingard is just wasting money right now.

Johnson ain't going to be anywhere other than the bench if he comes here. Might as well make that spot Chesters' through the next four months.

We need to upgrade Dawson/Diop to shore up defensively. It's urgent now, and I say this as someone who has and will defend Diop's ability. If we only make one signing this window, it has to be the long-term Ogbonna replacement over anybody else.

Second is then the Antonio alternative/upgrade.
All depends on who us available. Save for Lingard there does not seem to be anyone we really want to sign long term.

Whilst I agree we need to upgrade the defence this might have to be via loan. If Lingard comes even close to replicating last years form he is an immediate upgrade on any of the other AM save Bowen and means if we cannot find the striker cover his presence helps out there as well.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2722 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:13 am Wrong thread. Morelos belongs under the ' Nutters' title.
Morelos is a bonafide nutcase....
Knows where the goal is mind you...
If he was PL quality Stevie G would have signed him...
It's a no from me...
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

We should sign some more good players so that we get better and do really well
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

27th of January, less than 5 days until the window closes. It’s going to be disappointing if we don’t bring in a LCB and a striker. I’ve already said we would be foolish not to sign Caleta-Car. I think a striker will be very hard to find, especially one who fulfills Moyes requirements.
For all the talk players are expensive in January, there are several bargains available. I know they aren’t the most pressing needs but we could probably sign Fabio Carvalho, Lee Buchanan and Boubacar Kamara for £15M combined and the asking price for Lewis-Potter has fallen to £14M. That’s 4 very talented young players for the same price Blackburn are asking for Bereton Diaz.
Kamara is a £30M+ player if he wasn’t out of contract in June. As highlighted in Michael Hare’s piece, he would transform our midfield allowing both Rice and Soucek to be more progressive if we played all 3 and allow us to rotate our completely overused midfield duo.
Carvalho is a special talent who has a little Payet about him, and who if he wasn’t out of contract in June. would be £20M +. Lewis- Potter is Bowen 2.0 but a right footed version, and Buchanan is a highly rated Left back who is cheap because he’s out of contract in June and Derby are in dire straits. I don’t expect us to sign all 4 ( although I’d be happy if we did), but I think we should be trying to sign at least one, and if I had to choose I would go for Kamara.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Peaches wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:45 am 27th of January, less than 5 days until the window closes. It’s going to be disappointing if we don’t bring in a LCB and a striker. I’ve already said we would be foolish not to sign Caleta-Car. I think a striker will be very hard to find, especially one who fulfills Moyes requirements.
For all the talk players are expensive in January, there are several bargains available. I know they aren’t the most pressing needs but we could probably sign Fabio Carvalho, Lee Buchanan and Boubacar Kamara for £15M combined and the asking price for Lewis-Potter has fallen to £14M. That’s 4 very talented young players for the same price Blackburn are asking for Bereton Diaz.
Kamara is a £30M+ player if he wasn’t out of contract in June. As highlighted in Michael Hare’s piece, he would transform our midfield allowing both Rice and Soucek to be more progressive if we played all 3 and allow us to rotate our completely overused midfield duo.
Carvalho is a special talent who has a little Payet about him, and who if he wasn’t out of contract in June. would be £20M +. Lewis- Potter is Bowen 2.0 but a right footed version, and Buchanan is a highly rated Left back who is cheap because he’s out of contract in June and Derby are in dire straits. I don’t expect us to sign all 4 ( although I’d be happy if we did), but I think we should be trying to sign at least one, and if I had to choose I would go for Kamara.
All completely makes sense Peaches but what doesn't make sense is this 'right fit' mentality from Moyes. His last 'right fit' signings, Vlasic and Kral, aren't exactly setting the world on fire. So all this selection dithering appears not only wishful thinking but detrimental to our results, therefore I cannot see any sense in this stringent, restrictive attitude considering the dire straits we are in with our squad. We're now getting the old 'wait until summer' line again where it will probably be much of the same. It also appears we are losing potential signings because we want to loan and try somebody out. Nothing wrong in that but it doesn't work for getting first team players from clubs - who would loan them out for peanuts and then have to fork out millions in a few days for a replacement or weaken their team with a reserve? If they buy someone in and we ship the loanee back, they are stuck with an extra player. Totally ridiculous proposition. Loans are usually only players getting near past it or surplus to requirements that are finding difficulty selling, like Lingard which did work out well for us. We have been waiting over a year for the 'right' striker and now it seems we are probably going to have to make do with someone that is available and a punt after all, like 19yo kid Ekiteke (or punt Brereton-Diaz). Same goes for a defender, 20yo kid Buchanan, both untested in the PL and possibly no better potential than Okoflex and Alese/Baptiste of the same age. Happy to get prospects in but we need seasoned first team pros at this stage. For example if Antonio got injured, who would you rely on starting a few games to keep us in the hunt, the kid or someone like Origi for the same money?
Last edited by Hamburger on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Hamburger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:23 am All completely makes sense Peaches but what doesn't make sense is this 'right fit' mentality from Moyes. His last 'right fit' signings, Vlasic and Kral, aren't exactly setting the world on fire. So all this selection dithering appears not only wishful thinking but detrimental to our results, therefore I cannot see any sense in this stringent, restrictive attitude considering the dire straits we are in with our squad. We're now getting the old 'wait until summer' line again where it will probably be much of the same. It also appears we are losing potential signings because we want to loan and try somebody out. Nothing wrong in that but it doesn't work for getting first team players from clubs - who would loan them out for peanuts and then have to fork out millions in a few days for a replacement or weaken their team with a reserve? If they buy someone in and we ship the loanee back, they are stuck with an extra player. Totally ridiculous proposition. Loans are usually only players getting near past it or surplus to requirements that are finding difficulty selling, like Lingard which did work out well for us. We have been waiting over a year for the 'right' striker and now it seems we are probably going to have to make do with someone that is available and a punt after all, like 19yo kid Ekiteke. Same goes for a defender, 20yo kid punt Buchanan, both untested in the PL and possibly no better potential than Okoflex and Alese/Baptiste of the same age. Happy to get prospects in but we need seasoned first team pros at this stage. For example if Antonio got injured, who would you rely on starting a few games, the kid or someone like Origi for the same money?
I agree with you to a point, but we are losing Noble, Kral, Fredericks and Yarmolenko at the end of the season. Our squad is already too small. Cresswell is 32 and Arthur is terrible defensively. Bringing in young, cheap, promising (in the case of Kamara, top class) players is prudent and forward looking. As I said not expecting to sign all of them , but Kamara and one of the others for 10M or so is good business.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Have we signed the players who can play the football game yet?