The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by mushy »

Big shout out to Andy's Man Clubs who appear to do an excellent job with Men's mental health.
They have weekly meetings every Monday both in person (in a hall) and on Zoom.
Basically you can go along and talk about all your struggles and be listened to with a non-judgemental ear. You can talk as much or as little as you want, in fact you don't have to talk at all, you can just listen to others.
They were originally based up North but now have clubs in Southend and Chelmsford and are aiming to open their first London branch in Barnet in the next couple of months. My initial dealings with them are extremely positive.
If you need any more info then please check out the website.
https://andysmanclub.co.uk/
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:27 pm I’ve bought some cbd oil as recommended by SH and will try it as soon as it arrives. I’m also looking at the cherry supplement as recommended by Burnley.

I have a sleep tracker on my watch and I only seem to get light sleep or very rarely REM or deep sleep. Usually less than an hour of deep sleep and average between 4-7 hours a night.
Melatonin (3mg) seems to really help me sleep better and longer. You can't get it in the UK without prescription but you can get it from other places where it's treated as a supplement and have it imported. I bought a bottle of 180 capsules from Biovea for about 20 quid (imported from the US) and it came through customs OK. As a bonus, studies have also shown that it's beneficial against COVID. You do see some report side effects but I used to take it all the time back when you used to be able to buy it on Ebay and had no side effects at all, only benefits. Rhonda Patrick takes it - that's good enough for me ;) It's also been shown to help with the body's production of glutathione and protect against mitochondrial dysfunction.

With regards to the sleep tracker, both my sleep tracker and my girlfriends both show similar results with regards to deep sleep. I don't know whether this suggests that its perfectly normal to have such small amounts of deep sleep, or that sleep tracking watches are crap! :)

Does it always say that your hour of deep sleep happens at the beginning of the night, not long after you've fallen asleep?
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

RE: Suicide. My cousin, my dad’s brother’s only daughter, committed suicide. She had two young sons. Her funeral was the most difficult I’ve attended. My dad’s was easier as we all knew he was terminally ill and this day would come.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

I'm truly sorry to hear that, Jim, and I'm sorry for your loss.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Feeling a bit meh the last week or so. Probably just the 'January blues'.

Looking forward to lighter mornings and lighter evenings. Had enough of this winter weather now.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

last.caress wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 am I'm truly sorry to hear that, Jim, and I'm sorry for your loss.
I didn’t know her particularly well as I’ve barely had a relationship with that side of the family. After my parents divorced, I was pretty much raised my mum’s side. My uncle never recovered and passed away a few years later. He left everything to his grandkids.

I shudder to think what might have happened had I not gone to the doctors when I fell ill.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:06 pm Feeling a bit meh the last week or so. Probably just the 'January blues'.

Looking forward to lighter mornings and lighter evenings. Had enough of this winter weather now.
I've long suspected that I might have seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D.) but I never got around to having a proper chat with the quack about it and, with the times in which we now live where you can't get a gp appointment for love nor money, it doesn't feel like something I can bring up with the doc anymore.

But I become terribly "down" whenever the day darkens up because of an incoming storm or whatever, and I have to fight lethargy, anxiety and weight gain every single autumn/winter; all symptoms of SAD. By March/April I start shedding weight, I become brighter, more focused. Come October, the cravings and depressions all come crashing in again.

I'm alright on bright days and I'm alright at night. It's just during the half-light of a gloomy wintery dawn or dusk, or the half-light of a grey gloomy poor-weather day, or as I say when the skies blacken right up in the middle of the day because a storm's coming. The sky in Pitsea seems to me to be almost permanently grey; as do the buildings, the floor, and most of the people.

I guess one could look at all that and say, "Pfft! You just don't like grey, gloomy weather. That's all. Who does? And everyone dodges the salads and tucks into the pasties in the cold weather. So what?" And that's all true, I suppose. But I think it's more than that. I think. I dunno.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Elsie, SAD is more common than people think. Jan is a ****er of a month for me too, Feb I start to feel more me again. Only thing I have to offer that helps me, lots of walks in the daylight, even when pishing down & grey, also, and this takes a huge amount of will power for me, I hit the gym really really hard in Jan just to get those good endorphins in my nut. I still suffer in Jan, sometimes Feb, but the above does help me get through it somewhat.

It is though a horrible feeling, so you have my sympathies.

One other thing, friend of mine has a SAD lamp, it wasn't for me but he said it helps him, maybe worth a go?
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:34 am
One other thing, friend of mine has a SAD lamp, it wasn't for me but he said it helps him, maybe worth a go?
Those SAD Lamps are mental. Next door neighbour has one. It's like sticking your face into the Sun. I guess that is kind of the point but I was surprised at how bright it was.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:41 am I've long suspected that I might have seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D.) but I never got around to having a proper chat with the quack about it and, with the times in which we now live where you can't get a gp appointment for love nor money, it doesn't feel like something I can bring up with the doc anymore.

But I become terribly "down" whenever the day darkens up because of an incoming storm or whatever, and I have to fight lethargy, anxiety and weight gain every single autumn/winter; all symptoms of SAD. By March/April I start shedding weight, I become brighter, more focused. Come October, the cravings and depressions all come crashing in again.

I'm alright on bright days and I'm alright at night. It's just during the half-light of a gloomy wintery dawn or dusk, or the half-light of a grey gloomy poor-weather day, or as I say when the skies blacken right up in the middle of the day because a storm's coming. The sky in Pitsea seems to me to be almost permanently grey; as do the buildings, the floor, and most of the people.

I guess one could look at all that and say, "Pfft! You just don't like grey, gloomy weather. That's all. Who does? And everyone dodges the salads and tucks into the pasties in the cold weather. So what?" And that's all true, I suppose. But I think it's more than that. I think. I dunno.

Although I wouldn't say I had SAD personally I can totally understand how you feel mate. You just cant beat that warm sun on your face.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Anyone got experience with Mirtazapine?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Like others, I feel a bit down in the dumps more during this time of year and things are a lot more effort. One thing that I have found beneficial is getting out in the open - even in the cold and rain. I wrap up warm and look for signs of spring - birds, plants popping their heads up, insects. Surprisingly uplifting.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Well all things must come to an end. After 140 days I return to the world of work tomorrow got 11 days paternity leave cover in a school.

I’m looking forward to it but at the same time as today has gone on I’ve getting increasingly anxious. I doubt I’ll sleep tonight.

What I would say from my recent experience is realising something, work didn’t make me unhappy, I was just unhappy at work. I can say this because over the last 4 months have I haven’t been any happier, in fact at times I’ve felt worse.

It’s also make me think about what I want. If I’m asked I’ll say I want to be left alone, don’t want to get involved in work politics and generally want to ungracefully age, alone in my computer chair. We’ll I’ve done that for 4 months and I still feel generally rubbish. So maybe I don’t want that (or not that all the time), worst case I can be unhappy and earn money rather than be unhappy at home but maybe there is more.

That saying that I have felt quite good lately (last few weeks, being off the beer has unfortunately helped) I’d like to be able to report in two weeks I still do (fingers crossed).
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Good lucky Wolfie, hope it goes well :newthumb:
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Rio wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:51 pm Anyone got experience with Mirtazapine?
Yes, been on it about 6-8 months.

Primarily the GP gave it to me to aid sleep (the chief side effect), usually I take something much stronger as an anti depressant. At first, the effect on sleep was remarkable, and as a result I felt unusually really well. In recent weeks they haven't been so effective, but I'm still sleeping far better than I used to.
Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if there's anything I've obviously missed out.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:35 pm Yes, been on it about 6-8 months.

Primarily the GP gave it to me to aid sleep (the chief side effect), usually I take something much stronger as an anti depressant. At first, the effect on sleep was remarkable, and as a result I felt unusually really well. In recent weeks they haven't been so effective, but I'm still sleeping far better than I used to.
Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if there's anything I've obviously missed out.
Totally agree with Tenners. I got it as a sleep aid too.Initally it zonked me right out and I got a great nights sleep. You feel good in the morning too as you are well rested.

I haven't taken some for over a week now as I run out and getting a repeat perscription from my Doc is a real ball achce. BUT I've had really bad insomnia again and last night was the worst - no sleep whatsoever. I looked and felt like **** today, as was confirmed by my sister! So I went to the doc and got some Mir today and will take one tonight before I go to bed. If THAT doesn't work I'm on the Tramadol as in conjunction with Mir I definately will sleep.

I've been trying to stay of medication for a week now, but sleeping is a real issue. I lay there thinking "I can have no sleep all night or I can take a little tablet and sleep like a baby. Why not take one? I'd take a pain killer to ease my pain. no?"
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

That's a really good post Pablo and something I try and do everyday to keep my head together and the demons away .Great advice.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:26 pm Well all things must come to an end. After 140 days I return to the world of work tomorrow got 11 days paternity leave cover in a school.

I’m looking forward to it but at the same time as today has gone on I’ve getting increasingly anxious. I doubt I’ll sleep tonight.

What I would say from my recent experience is realising something, work didn’t make me unhappy, I was just unhappy at work. I can say this because over the last 4 months have I haven’t been any happier, in fact at times I’ve felt worse.

It’s also make me think about what I want. If I’m asked I’ll say I want to be left alone, don’t want to get involved in work politics and generally want to ungracefully age, alone in my computer chair. We’ll I’ve done that for 4 months and I still feel generally rubbish. So maybe I don’t want that (or not that all the time), worst case I can be unhappy and earn money rather than be unhappy at home but maybe there is more.

That saying that I have felt quite good lately (last few weeks, being off the beer has unfortunately helped) I’d like to be able to report in two weeks I still do (fingers crossed).
Wolf, I can relate to this in a few ways.
I too have my computer chair in which I sit for most of my life at home. I work full time in a job which I like but I don't earn good money.
I like solitude very much. I wake in the night between 2 and 4 in the morning and its bliss to hear the silence of the world. I have a little read and go back to sleep, but those moments in the quiet hours are glorious.
My work does give me a purpose. That is about all. I like the people I work with but wouldn't want to be social. My circle is very small.
I just want to get through with the minimal fuss and noise.
As I say, my job does give me a reason, a purpose.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Rio wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:51 pm Anyone got experience with Mirtazapine?

My mate , Mike who was recently hospitalised for depression [ and put on Suicide Watch ] was prescribed Mirtazapine along with another drug beginning with ' D ' which I've now forgotten - as Tenners says it makes you sleep - Mike was telling me that initially he was sleeping at all hours of the day because of Mirtazapine so be aware of when you take them etc .
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:41 am I've long suspected that I might have seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D.) but I never got around to having a proper chat with the quack about it and, with the times in which we now live where you can't get a gp appointment for love nor money, it doesn't feel like something I can bring up with the doc anymore.

I noticed I had SAD quite a view years ago. I tried a SAD lamp but requires too much effort after a while. My sister suggested I take some Vit D drops and I believe they had a positive effect. The year after I didnt take any (laziness) and felt the difference. Now I take Vitamin D all the time and I'm less affected.
I'm in Wickford and know Pitsea. It's not the most exciting place but you do have Bowers and Pitsea ground there where you can have a pint and watch a game. I went a while back and watched Hashtag and Redbridge, it was in the summer but really enjoyed it. Pitsea isn't all grey!