January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by S-H »

I quite like the idea of bringing Hugo Ekitike to compete with Antonio for the remainder of the season (if Moyes' preferred target isn't avilable this month)

Then bring in someone approaching their prime (a preferred Moyes target) with a view to replacing Antonio, in the Summer.

Will leave us with 3 decent attacking options, with a good young striker, with one eye on the future, a striker for the here and now, and an experienced Antonio, who we can then start to use more sparingly.
Last edited by S-H on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I don't believe those rumours that were floating around about us making a club record bid, but if we were to, I'd go for Darwin Nunez. We have actually been linked with him a bit in the past. Probably a level too high, but hey isn't the point supposed to be for us to get better and better until we can compete for stuff and keep ahold of Rice?

Would be the perfect striker for us.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Iron Bhoy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:21 am My housemate is a Croat and reckons he'll be ripped to shreds in the Prem. Decent on the ball but apparently he has the mobility of a LEGO man.
The turning circle of an oil tanker. The grace of a reversing dump truck without any tyres.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

I get that you need everyones acquiescence to the purchase, we want to buy, team willing to sell, player willing to go but why on earth does everyone treat the last possible day, hr, as the day that it needs to happen.
Every other commercial walk of life would give itself some wiggle room to play with.
Treat tomorrow as the last day of the window, in essence, in terms of effort and final offers, and use the remainder for any loose ends.
3 days should not make a significant difference from anyone's perspective. I find it bizarre.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

That’s my biggest worry about Caleta-Car - his pace (or lack of). The PL is so fast and unforgiving. If he plays LCB and Cresswell LB then we’re very slow on that left side of the defence.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Joe Worrall is a right footed left sided centre back too. Like Caleta-Car, he's also fairly comfortable passing with his left foot. I personally think he'd prove to be the better signing out of the two despite the fact he's injured at the moment.

It's funny too how everyone wants Broja after half a season of good performances but nobody is keen on Phillips who has proved himself over a similar time period.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

stammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:28 am I get that you need everyones acquiescence to the purchase, we want to buy, team willing to sell, player willing to go but why on earth does everyone treat the last possible day, hr, as the day that it needs to happen.
Every other commercial walk of life would give itself some wiggle room to play with.
Treat tomorrow as the last day of the window, in essence, in terms of effort and final offers, and use the remainder for any loose ends.
3 days should not make a significant difference from anyone's perspective. I find it bizarre.
The last day means it's when the buying club are at their most desperate, and knowing they won't have any time to source alternatives, can therefore be taken advantage of for the maximum return by the selling club.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think what I'd do this window is....

Bring in Dieng on loan - I really like the look of him and think he'd fit a Moyes team
Go all in for Lingard but have Carvalho standing by as plan B
I really like the look of Szalai but if we don't want to take a risk on someone plying his trade in Turkey then I'd go for Joe Waorrall

And then I'd do everything possible to bring Kamara in during the summer. If there's a chance Rice goes then we need to be looking at bringing in some real quality to replace him. We can also go big on a striker.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

This will be the same as every other transfer if we buy players 50% will think its great and another 50% will think there crap and we could have done better I have seen it with all the players we have been linked with
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Get a LCB that can also cover LB,prefferably one that can play in Europe and look to replace Diop with Tark/Kelly/ whoever in the summer, when we know the score with Ogbonna.
For me - Diallo - Kamara - a CF
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

So by judging some of the comments about Caleta-Car, its no to our inflexible friend then
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Cabral going to Fiorentina for 14.5m euros.

There are so many good players out there that you can safely assume are available.

Fabio Carvalho
Keane Lewis-Potter
Boubacar Kamara
Attila Szalai is a great shout, I'd have him in heartbeat

I'd rather have Carvalho and/or Lewis-Potter than Lingard if I'm honest. Tired of the Lingard thing, especially when there are proper exciting talents available for apparently the same sort of price, but a decade younger.

Don't really know what we are doing. Four days left so still hoping.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

If we were gonna buy players it shouid have been done earlier
We're in 2 major competitions and are still in a good position in the league id say a good 75% off us if not more can see we need at least 3 players in and to say which I think is a poor decision that we've been looking for the right striker for the last 2 years is crap, we just won't pay some of the prices for players, some I understand but some I don't like losing out to Leicester for daka and the one that palace pipped us too, under this board we will never push on. I'm hoping the Czech guy can see the potential that we have and moves in a different direction.
I don't think there will better chances in the future for us to be up there, everyone's talking about the summer window but there won't be much left with the old top 6 and now Newcastle and villa with money behind them for us to buy, we couid even lose Dec's and Bowen ( where we shouid be building around them )
I've enjoyed the ride but I'm worried it's coming to an end.
If we bring in some decent signings now may gives us a chance to win the europa and gain a champions league spot were we couid gives us a pull for the summer window and also keep Dec's and Bowen Rant over :scarfer:
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:53 am Cabral going to Fiorentina for 14.5m euros.
That's about £12m.
Can only imagine that the work permit is the reason no one in the Premier League has bid.

Think would have to be over £20m for the fee to mitigate it.
You can't pay 66% over the odds just to gey a work permit.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 am It's funny too how everyone wants Broja after half a season of good performances but nobody is keen on Phillips who has proved himself over a similar time period.
That’s a bit of a strange comparison tbh.

Phillips has looked ok in some games and not great in others (last season) at least. He’s also 24 and Liverpool clearly have no real interest in keeping him.

Borja has looked excellent when he’s played and managed establish himself at Southampton after about 10 games despite only being 20.

I’d be absolutely staggered if Borja doesn’t have a better career than Phillips. One looks like he might have the potential to be a relatively solid prem defender the other looks like he could become a top player.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

We’re not going to sign anyone are we :crylol: Looks like possibly a CB on loan and that’s it. Dear god.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

I have just gone on hammers chat and geo as a good discussion about players we will need in the summer bloody hell we are going to need 8 to 10 players that will cost about 150 million maybe more sorry not geo gonzo
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Slight change of direction in view of what's not happening:-

Transfer windows are rubbish.

The only advantage I can see is if you don't lose your best players during them then you have them for a few more months.
I think the old system was better IMO. Any player can move anywhere until transfer deadline day at a Pre determined date a few weeks before the end of each season.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:10 am We’re not going to sign anyone are we :crylol: Looks like possibly a CB on loan and that’s it. Dear god.
One player is looking the most likely option barring us seriously pulling our fingers out pretty sharpish
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I think we will end up signing Nat Phillips.