January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by stammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:33 am The last day means it's when the buying club are at their most desperate, and knowing they won't have any time to source alternatives, can therefore be taken advantage of for the maximum return by the selling club.
I dont know that brinkmanship works well for anyone though AH, many a club been left with a disgruntled player whose application and value plummets as a result of a move not coming off.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

stammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:20 am I dont know that brinkmanship works well for anyone though AH, many a club been left with a disgruntled player whose application and value plummets as a result of a move not coming off.
I agree mate. It's a symptom of the arrogance of football as a business in general. Clubs are so pig-headed that they will cut their nose off to spite their face a lot of the time.

We're seeing it with Lingard.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Gonna be a tough summer window for sure. Noble, Cresswell, Yarmolenko, Masuaku, Diop, Ogbonna all need replacing really. A couple more out of contract players, add to that we don't own Areola and Kral.

Antonio will be 32 by the end of this season and is still our only striker. Also, going to be a hard job keeping hold of Rice and Bowen after the shocking lack of ambition this window.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Martial going to Sevilla must surely make En Nesyri more accessible? He's had less starts this season and so probably going get even less now? He is without doubt the best striker out there for us imo that is probably available. He's contracted until 2025 so may be north of 40m but his salary only around 50k pw. I think the biggest stumbling blocks will be him wanting CL football so not willing to come and Sully trying to penny pinch. However if they can get it done and bring a decent CB in too, all will be forgiven!
Last edited by Hamburger on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Macca1973 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 am Gonna be a tough summer window for sure. Noble, Cresswell, Yarmolenko, Masuaku, Diop, Ogbonna all need replacing really. A couple more out of contract players, add to that we don't own Areola and Kral.

Antonio will be 32 by the end of this season and is still our only striker. Also, going to be a hard job keeping hold of Rice and Bowen after the shocking lack of ambition this window.
Someone piss on your cornflakes this morning? :grin:

Seriously it's not that bad fella.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I don't think we need to worry about the summer window, there are so many quality players out there, who will be out of contract.

It wouldn't surprise me, if some of our inactively this window, was down to the fact we have a few already lined up for the summer.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

norse wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:22 am Newcastle were linked to Berge earlier, however they're linked to everyone
Newcastle aren't just linked to everyone, they've put £30m bids in for everyone.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Pob! wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 am Someone piss on your cornflakes this morning? :grin:

Seriously it's not that bad fella.
:lol: the more I look at our squad the more I think it's a right mess. We've never got any options to change games off the bench (I don't consider Masuaku and Yarmolenko in this bracket). We have some excellent players in Rice, Bowen, Soucek, Zouma and Benrahma. They have papered over a lot of cracks. This window should have been an opportunity to address a couple of those shortcomings.
S-H

Post by S-H »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:34 am Newcastle aren't just linked to everyone, they've put £30m bids in for everyone.
Allegedly.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Hamburger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 am Martial going to Sevilla must surely make En Nesyri more accessible? He's had less starts this season and so probably going get even less now? He is without doubt the best striker out there for us imo that is probably available. He's contracted until 2025 so may be north of 40m but his salary only around 50k pw. I think the biggest stumbling blocks will be him wanting CL football and not willing to come and Sully trying to penny pinch. However if they can get it done and bring a decent CB in too, all will be forgiven!
If Martial is going to start ahead of En Nesyri then shouldn't we have tried to sign him instead?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

stu1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:09 am That’s a bit of a strange comparison tbh.

Phillips has looked ok in some games and not great in others (last season) at least. He’s also 24 and Liverpool clearly have no real interest in keeping him.

Borja has looked excellent when he’s played and managed establish himself at Southampton after about 10 games despite only being 20.

I’d be absolutely staggered if Borja doesn’t have a better career than Phillips. One looks like he might have the potential to be a relatively solid prem defender the other looks like he could become a top player.
He might well go on to be a top player.... but it's impossible to really make a conclusion after just 10 games. His actual performances outside of goals have been hit and miss and he's still dropped from the first team for some games. He has no assists and makes an average of 10 passes a game. He currently averages 1 key pass per 10 games. He's a player that can look completely anonymous in some games. So goals aside, is that the kind of striker we're looking for? Would we rather have a player thats more involved in play and better at bringing others into the game? Do we know how hard he works or how well he presses? Would he fit into our team? He's so inexperienced at present he's still waiting for his first career headed goal. Southampton appear happy to wait until the end of the season - that could be wise of them. I think it would be a bit rash to jump in with a 25m bid for a player that's only proven himself over 10 games. And as much as I think some people are perhaps over-rating Broja, I also think they're under-rating Phillips. I thought he looked very solid in most of the games he played in his spell in the first team. I think it's a very fair comparison to make... both players have potential and both have done a good job in terms of what was asked of them. Only a lot of people seem unsure about one of them due to the lack of experience, but have no concerns about the other despite the same lack of experience.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-H

Post by S-H »

No idea if this geezer is credible or not..

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

jastons wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am If Martial is going to start ahead of En Nesyri then shouldn't we have tried to sign him instead?
Man Utd aren't going to loan/sell us Martial either...

Also depends what suits best. En Nesyri might be the best fit for us.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:32 am however we need a CF first as antonio will be knackered after his jamaica trip.
He'll have a week off before his next game after that trip. He'll be fine.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

jastons wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am If Martial is going to start ahead of En Nesyri then shouldn't we have tried to sign him instead?
It's not a simple as that you have to look at the individual skill sets to your needs.
Martial wouldn't suit us plus financially wouldn't work.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Broja is on a one year loan deal with Southampton.
For him to be sold to us, Chelsea would have to void that contract then agree a price with us.

I'm not sure thats even possible.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's gonna be Bloody, ****ing no one, we all know that
Gotta say, I'm.not exactly best pleased with Kretinsky. Not a ****ing word from him throughout the entire duration
of the transfer window. Thought the geezer was supposed to have a thick wedge
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:42 am It's gonna be Bloody, ****ing no one, we all know that
Gotta say, I'm.not exactly best pleased with Kretinsky. Not a ****ing word from him throughout the entire duration
of the transfer window. Thought the geezer was supposed to have a thick wedge
Craig, to you :smiler:

Maybe the way Kretinsky got to be rich is by holding on to the wedge - like Sulli
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

duplicate
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »