What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by DasNutNock2 »

S-H wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:54 pm Forza is a bit special isn't it?

I'm blown away at just how good it looks in next gen.

Really enjoying it.
Only disappointment is that it doesn’t run at 4k/120, which would require absurd levels of GPU/cpu grunt, but is still an insanely pretty game.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

The Mrs and I have both been playing the remastered GTA trilogy. The nostalgia factor is pretty great, but outside of the slight graphics and rendering upgrade, they seem to have made it worse, with some of the controllers changes made for the worse, and the auto-aim target lock is atrocious compared to the old games (this may have been done to make the game more challenging, I'm not sure, but it's frustrating as ****).

If anyone were looking to purchase it, I'd advise them to either stick on the old games, or wait a few weeks for the inevitable patches to fix all the bugs (there's a fair few).
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Loop Hero - a real old school RPG/Town builder that looks boring - you go round a loop of a dungeon until you die or leave of your own accord - but once you pay it and work out what to do it's very addictive.

Very old school graphics, old school sound and old school gameplay but if you played Rogue/Moria etc you'll love it.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Decided to play some of the free games I've grabbed in the last couple of years. Started with Amnesia: a machine for pigs , bloody spooky game, has literally made me jump a few times already :crylol:
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Been playing a fair amount of Far Cry 6 with my mate in coop. Really enjoying it although some missions are stupidly hard, how you would complete them on single player I have no idea.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

A bit of Mount & Blade II while waiting for Deathloop to arrive.

And Wii Sports.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Now I've got the Stadia up and running, I treated myself to RDR2 which was on offer for about 16 quid or so. Had a £10 welcome voucher so that covered most of it.

What a beautiful game. I'm only on chapter two (John has made an appearance and I've just took little Jack fishing), but I'm already immersed. I have skipped a lot of the cutscenes (basically any not directly about the main storyline) but I'm thinking i should slow down a bit and take them in.

I found a few of the gold bars early to get a few upgrades in to make it slightly easier but mostly enjoying just roaming around and admiring the detail.

Before i got further in the story, I'm looking to get the pelts and stuff to get the legend satchel crafted but I'm not too keen on the hunting (feels a bit slow but it is realistic).

I am late to the party with this game but it is bringing back lots of fond memories of RDR1, which i narrowly missed out 100% completion on. I've spent a decent chunk of time going through online guides etc., But still feeling a bit overwhelmed by the scale. I'm hoping I find my rhythm a bit more as I play.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:19 am But still feeling a bit overwhelmed by the scale. I'm hoping I find my rhythm a bit more as I play.
Interesting one, this. For me, RDR is up there in the top ten titles of all time on any platform. RDR2, as much as I tried I just couldn't get into it.

For as aesthetically pleasing it is (and it is stunning graphically), a lot of it seemed laboured and drawn out. I put around 50 hours in then got entirely disillusioned and haven't picked it up since.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I loaded up RDR2 again at the weekend. I wanted to see what it looked like on my new TV

I quit playing originally because my Arabian White horse died and I was really pissed off about it.

It is too big for me as a game. You can't play it for an hour at a time, which with a 10 week old is all I can really afford it. 1 hour and you've barely ridden your horse between a few towns.

I'm not averse to those massive sandbox games but I've laboured to get into RDR2 4-5 times now and it never hooked me.

I think Starfield will be the one that gets me personally.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:20 am Interesting one, this. For me, RDR is up there in the top ten titles of all time on any platform. RDR2, as much as I tried I just couldn't get into it.

For as aesthetically pleasing it is (and it is stunning graphically), a lot of it seemed laboured and drawn out. I put around 50 hours in then got entirely disillusioned and haven't picked it up since.
Same for me, preferred RDR to RDR2. RDR2 is an extraordinary achievement, but I felt that it was made to win awards rather than be enjoyable. The story and graphics were fantastic, but I spent most of the time playing it wishing it controlled like the Assassin's Creed games. I don't know how many times I shot people when I was trying to talk to them.

It was more like a cowboy simulation than a game. Still finished it, and thought it was very good though
ThreeSixes

Post by ThreeSixes »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:19 am Now I've got the Stadia up and running, I treated myself to RDR2 which was on offer for about 16 quid or so. Had a £10 welcome voucher so that covered most of it.
If it's not too expensive, try and get the Piggyback paperback guide for the game. It's really good, and will help you find things you would have missed
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 am1 hour and you've barely ridden your horse between a few towns.
That, and the micro-management of your camp, hunting etc.
ThreeSixes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:20 amIt was more like a cowboy simulation than a game.
:newthumb:

Though I dare say, in about five years time, I'll revisit it and have the most fun (a la Fallout 3, Vegas, No Man's Sky etc)!
chelmsfordhammer91

Getting a bit more involved in RDR2 now I've worked out the hunting mechanics.

Just got to get the cougar the the legend satchel is mine, then will carry on with the story (I've just started chapter 3).

Such a vast and immersive game but does feel a lot more like a cowboy sim than an actual game.

I've been lucky enough to pump a few hours in during the day whilst working from home, and don't really have time outside that to get into games (a 4 month old and a 4 year old prevent that!).

Has anyone played Sekiro: Shadows die twice? Had my eye on it but looks to need some time focused on it to get the combat mechanics right.

Failing that, I'm tempted by cyberpunk or go a bit more old school and try and get an emulator for Fallout New vegas. There was a patch of games i had back at uni including that and RDR1 that I spent countless hours playing, so a bit of nostalgia may suit my limited time better.
ThreeSixes

Post by ThreeSixes »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:45 pm

Has anyone played Sekiro: Shadows die twice? Had my eye on it but looks to need some time focused on it to get the combat mechanics right.

Failing that, I'm tempted by cyberpunk or go a bit more old school and try and get an emulator for Fallout New vegas.
Not played Sekiro as not keen on hard games at my age (gave up with Nioh which seems similar).

I did about 10 hours of Cyberpunk. It isn't broken (at least not on an Xbox Series S), but the last time I played it, I sat through 15 mins of unskippable dialogue, and was just bored. I don't think I'll go back.

Loved Fallout New Vegas. It's on Xbox gamepass if emulators are too much of a faff
chelmsfordhammer91

I finished RDR2 story yesterday. I was aware of the spoilers already but the end did seem rather underwhelming.

Looking for another Stadia game toget stuck into. No offers on at the moment so the prices are ridiculous. Might keep an eye on far cry 6 or wait until later in the year as it is anticipated that GTA 5 will be ported across.
RayleighIrons

Post by RayleighIrons »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:53 pm I finished RDR2 story yesterday. I was aware of the spoilers already but the end did seem rather underwhelming.

Looking for another Stadia game toget stuck into. No offers on at the moment so the prices are ridiculous. Might keep an eye on far cry 6 or wait until later in the year as it is anticipated that GTA 5 will be ported across.

+1 for Farcry, great game and you can play the whole story in coop.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

RayleighIrons wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:44 am +1 for Farcry, great game and you can play the whole story in coop.
I'll bear that in mind next time I go to the supermarket although the missus may grumble :)
RayleighIrons

Post by RayleighIrons »

More fool you for shopping in the Co-op. :wink:
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

I stumbled upon Kid A mnesia in the PS store yesterday, a free download for the PS5 that takes music from Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac albums and puts you in a Radiohead themed virtual art installation that you wander around and the music changes to a different track depending on what room you're in.

The combination of the music from these two arty albums, both a bit of an acquired taste it has to be said, and the Tate Modern-like art was quite unusual but an interesting thing to wander around if you like that sort of thing.

If you're not a fan of Radiohead and/or modern art I wouldn't particularly trouble your bandwidth though......
Maja

Post by Maja »

Breath of the Wild - got 3 of the 4 Divine Beasts and currently wandering the Gerudo Desert.
Last edited by Maja on Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.