The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:36 am Can anyone seriously suggest they believe our death toll would have been as catastrophic under a Labour administration, Corbyn led or otherwise?

Their cabinet would have acted with more responsibility, more seriousness, more compassion and much much more probity than this clown show. They would not have been blinded by a 'private=good, state=bad' ideological dogma that led to many billions of our money thrown around to mates, donors and some bloke down Hancock's local, they would never have tipped elderly patients into nursing homes to improve some statistic that seemed oh-so important at the time, they wouldn't have treated our NHS staff and carers with much more decency and empathy....I could go on, the rap sheet is long and depressing.

We had likely the worst COVID response in the developed world, many more of us died than was necessary. How anyone tries to rationalise that away with a 'Yeah, but Labour...' mantra is beyond me, and then stretch to enormous lengths and cut massive slack to Tory incompetence they wouldn't to any other political party or leader.
If the death toll had started to get up into the thousands under Labour, make no mistake, there would have been a coup in this country, and the Establishment would have had Corbyn in jail.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Wether or not Corbyn would have been better/worse is an interesting, but entirely irrelevant, sideshow.
While your perceptions maybe an excuse for voting for Johnson at the last GE, it doesn't, as some lifelong tories seem to want to suggest, excuse his present performance. IMO, anyone, Conservative or otherwise, who values even a shred of probity and decency in public office should condemn Johnson's behaviour, and do whatever is possible to return him back under the stone he crawled out from.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Honest to ****ing god if you wanted to encapsulate one of the many problems with our political system the last few pages does it brilliantly.

I have always voted red/blue/purple rosette bollax, I honestly don't get it, it's like some are so entrenched in the colour they vote for that they could have a reincarnation of Jimmy Saville leading their party and they would still vote for them as that's the colour rosette they always vote for to keep the other evil party out.

It's just such silly soppy bollax.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Let's check in on how the party who are best for the working people of Britain are getting on this week....

£4.3bn of COVID support fraud written off.
Chancellor about to remove the small amount people WFH can claim back on their taxes to save £500m.

Very cool :newthumb:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Repka started it :lol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

That's better Danny :newthumb: :grin:

Juncs - Repka started a lot of things in fairness in C&B :D
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 am I'm not bigoted nor hate filled, and I take exception to the implication, I don't know if you were around at the time Thatcher was PM - I certainly was - voted for the first time in'83. Twice that year as there was a GE and also a byelection where I was living.

I remember the destruction Thatcher heaped on individuals , families and working class communities in the 1980s. And not just in the North. South Wales, Scotland, there were also mines in Kent - Snowdown Colliery for example. And don't get me started the Wapping, or her policies on Ulster. Or indeed her support of South Africa's apartheid regime.

I remember the lies and the cover ups of Orgreave and Hillsborough.
I remember mates of mine being sent to the Falklands as cannon fodder in '82 to save her political skin. FYI one of them was on a ship that got hit by an Exocet missile.
I also remember celebrating as the Poll Tax, which would have meant the richest in the land paying the same as the poorest ( and by Christ did she make a lot of people poor), did for her.

So mate I make no apologies for having had a very decent bottle of champagne in the house ever since the first alarm about her health, and I make no apologies for saying I cracked it open and drank the lot on the day the news broke that the old b*stard died.
No apologies.
And never will because she was the b*stard who set this country on the path it is on now!
You state you are not hate filled then go on to post why you are and then finished by giving an example of it.

I was indeed alive when Thatcher was PM, like plenty of others I lost out in some areas and benefitted in others*, also like plenty of others I got over it.

No one asked you to apologise.

* Much like any other PM of any other party.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

As one who is proud to have taken to the streets on many, many occasions in protest at her Government and it's policies, nevertheless, I think Thatcher had (at least in her own mind) more dignity and sense of duty in each fingernail than Johnson has in his entire carcase.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:54 am Ladies and gentlemen, the fix is in :scarfer:

And people wonder why some others are angry.
People were calling for the police to get involved, now they have it's a fix because they don't want to prejudice their investigation?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:12 pm People were calling for the police to get involved, now they have it's a fix because they don't want to prejudice their investigation?
Police don't want to get involved until the last minute.
Then they say that the report can be published in full.
Then they change that at the last second.

Stinks.

EDIT: Just leaving this here in case it becomes relevant to any leaks in the coming days or weeks.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/7/1 ... tirs-anger
Senior British politicians, including both the contenders to be the next prime minister, joined journalists on Saturday in criticising police for warning media not to publish leaked government documents, saying it was a “dangerous road to tread”.

“It cannot be conceivably right that newspapers or any other media organisation publishing such material should face prosecution”
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:24 am Honest to ****ing god if you wanted to encapsulate one of the many problems with our political system the last few pages does it brilliantly.

I have always voted red/blue/purple rosette bollax, I honestly don't get it, it's like some are so entrenched in the colour they vote for that they could have a reincarnation of Jimmy Saville leading their party and they would still vote for them as that's the colour rosette they always vote for to keep the other evil party out.

It's just such silly soppy bollax.
Best thing written here for a while.
There are those that end up voting for the wrong colour, we’ve all done it, but then there are those that continue to do it over and over again. They are the problem !
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Once this is reversed and a different colour is in charge, all the same excuses will be made by the new lot and their sycophants. Nothing changes for the rest of us.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:37 pm Police don't want to get involved until the last minute.
Then they say that the report can be published in full.
Then they change that at the last second.

Stinks.
If they dont want to be involved and. (presumably) Johnson would rather they weren't why are they involved if it's a stitch up? Because someone that people said was a stooge last week said they should. Lots of people have been calling for police involvement now they are involved they don't like the process the police have to follow.

Just let them get on with the job everyone wanted them to do. In the meantime labour get to make hay with govt paralyzed interviews and hints at criminal behaviour. That can only make their position better.

My guess is a few govt employees get fined. The police say nothing else to see and the report gives both sides a phrase or 2 to latch on to. It will be parliament that shifts Johnson if he goes.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Prob »

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:43 am Repka started it :lol:
Tell tale.

We will have to disagree, but it is shocking how many of you seriously under estimate the potential of Corbyn. Put a smart jacket on him and a red tie and he was just a nice old chap with a few eccentric ideas wasn't he?

How many Labour MPs left the party under his leadership because they saw the direction it was heading? Whatever happened to old Chukka?
How well was anti semitism addressed under his leadership?
Did he ever accept Russian agents left nerve agent in Salisbury?

And the party controls would have stopped Momentum gradually running the whole show?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... select-mps

Righto.

I'm getting hammered for voting for the blue clown over the red one. The irony is, if Labour were in power, and I was on the Corbyn thread moaning about the **** storm after revealing I took Dave's advice and abstained, I'd be called out for failing to vote so therefore not entitled to complain!
Tenbury

I Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by Tenbury »

For Gods sake, Repka I respect you massively, but Corbyn ain't running this shitshow.
Yep, he's adickhead, but he lost., he's not in power, he's a f*ckin nomark, etc, etc, and (however people might want him to be) he ain't responsible for all this chaos.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 am I'm not bigoted nor hate filled, and I take exception to the implication, I don't know if you were around at the time Thatcher was PM - I certainly was - voted for the first time in'83. Twice that year as there was a GE and also a byelection where I was living.

I remember the destruction Thatcher heaped on individuals , families and working class communities in the 1980s. And not just in the North. South Wales, Scotland, there were also mines in Kent - Snowdown Colliery for example. And don't get me started the Wapping, or her policies on Ulster. Or indeed her support of South Africa's apartheid regime.

I remember the lies and the cover ups of Orgreave and Hillsborough.
I remember mates of mine being sent to the Falklands as cannon fodder in '82 to save her political skin. FYI one of them was on a ship that got hit by an Exocet missile.
I also remember celebrating as the Poll Tax, which would have meant the richest in the land paying the same as the poorest ( and by Christ did she make a lot of people poor), did for her.

So mate I make no apologies for having had a very decent bottle of champagne in the house ever since the first alarm about her health, and I make no apologies for saying I cracked it open and drank the lot on the day the news broke that the old b*stard died.
No apologies.
And never will because she was the b*stard who set this country on the path it is on now!
There is an excellent mental health thread in the Snug :newthumb:

P.S. I've met a considerable number of South Atlantic Medal veterans. I have never met one who considered themselves "cannon fodder", most felt they were doing their duty, it was necessary, and in the case of 2 and 3 Para they wanted to get down there for a tear up.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Re: I Re: The Johnson Government 2019-202?

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Tenbury wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:16 pm For Gods sake, Repka I respect you massively, but Corbyn ain't running this shitshow.
Yep, he's adickhead, but he lost., he's not in power, he's a f*ckin nomark, etc, etc, and (however people might want him to be) he ain't responsible for all this chaos.
1) I didn't say he was
2) I'm not excusing Boris
3) This was a debate as to how I could have ever put an X by his name. I have been asked a question, and I'm giving an answer.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Thatcher is my political hero, I mourned the day she passed, the last great leader this country has had. The poster that talks about the Falkland’s and ‘her stance in Ulster’ you sound like another Corbyn. Thatcher refused to negotiate with terrorists, they were not political prisoners they were criminals. Falkland’s was about liberating an illegally invaded overseas sovereign territory. I have friends and relatives that went, proud to do so. As for the coal mines, Thatcher was a visionary, well ahead of her time, imagine if we were still so reliant on coal production now, Greta would have an aneurism! Thatcher was for the working man and woman, she was brought up as a product of a self made family and she championed hard work and getting ahead. Perhaps the poster had an issue with a powerful woman being in control of this great country, only he knows.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Macca1973 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:56 pm Thatcher was for the working man and woman, she was brought up as a product of a self made family and she championed hard work and getting ahead.
Ultimately it coined the phrase 'Essex man' (our core fanbase) those that enjoyed social mobility, through hard work, determination and a poltical doctrine that helped them achieve it.

I can only imagine those against that are either members of establishment (including those in the unions) wanting to keep the working classes in their place, or those who were too feckless to take advantage and are now kicking themselves for missing out.