Zouma: Catgate

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

wizzo_66
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: Zouma: Catgate

Post by wizzo_66 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 am

Moyes made the right call. The longer this went on the longer the cloud would have been hanging over us for when he played again.

Let the club take their internal action, allow any due process to take place in terms of the RSPCA/Police and then we move on whatever those outcomes are.

In the meantime he's our player and one of our better ones, showed he is focused and get on with his responsibilities.

And for all the noise on socials, his reception wasn't universally bad at the game.

Whatever the outcome, I hope he can learn a lesson about how you treat animals in this country.

Sead Hakšabanović

Post by Sead Hakšabanović » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:55 am

There was as many people clapping him as booing him where I was sitting

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:57 am

I see one of our sponsors has said they are going to evaluate their relationship with the club over the incident.

Doesn't look like this story is going to disappear anytime soon, and rightly so.

ironilunga
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 318 likes

Post by ironilunga » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:57 am

duncanio wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:18 am
Or does society just love to blow every incident to gargantuan proportions and apportion unlimited amounts of disgust and condemnation to the latest offender regardless of the crime?
There is a randomness to what some people condemn and minimise. There will, for example, be some fans last night who did not voice any ill feeling towards Zouma’s torturing of an animal. Some of those very same fans may, back in the day, have screamed dogs abuse at Paul Ince season in season out for putting on a Man Utd shirt before he signed for them.

Denbighammer
Has liked: 147 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by Denbighammer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:58 am

ironilunga wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:16 am
Only if justice is seen to be served. The problem is that it increasingly isn’t.
Seen in whose opinion? This is why we have a justice system. What we are seeing is another trial by social media.

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:00 am

carnage wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:43 am
A heavy fine and some rehab is. That’s how things work in this country.
Oh that’s why it’s going so well 👍

Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:01 am

What Zouma did was wrong, but who am I to condemn him.

I wonder if these righteous people on here have the right to judge him. I take it you who do so have committed no transgressions in your life.
if you are transgression free then judge him but if you are not leave him alone.

Puncher12
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:02 am

Happyhammer52 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:57 am
I see one of our sponsors has said they are going to evaluate their relationship with the club over the incident.

Doesn't look like this story is going to disappear anytime soon, and rightly so.

That sponsor also apparently sponsor Seaworld so y'know, nice to see where they draw the line at cruelty to animals.

Whilst I'm in the camp of not wanting Zouma out the club but still punished accordingly, I do think Moyes should have left the dust settle first, very bold statement to send Zouma out to the wolves last night.

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:05 am

Exiledin cardiff wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:01 am
if you are transgression free then judge him but if you are not leave him alone.
You can’t condemn any crime unless you are transgression free???

Pob!
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by Pob! » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:08 am

Exiledin cardiff wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:01 am
What Zouma did was wrong, but who am I to condemn him.

I wonder if these righteous people on here have the right to judge him. I take it you who do so have committed no transgressions in your life.
Dear god please forgive him for he does not know his sin! :pray:

carnage
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by carnage » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:09 am

ironilunga wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:05 am
You can’t condemn any crime unless you are transgression free???
Of course you can. It’s all the other crap that’s been posted, “ashamed of the club”, “he should never play again.” He’s ****ed up, and will pay the price with a big fine.

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:09 am

Happyhammer52 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:57 am

Honestly unless that sponsor is an animal charity then they're only going that for the media it would generate.

I want him sold, and I wouldn't have played him. But playing him last night was the best thing to do of your perspective is keeping him.

He faces the music straight away, and imagine if Diop started and made the mistake that lost the game, the hatred for Zouma would have gone through the roof.

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:11 am

Denbighammer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:58 am
What we are seeing is another trial by social media.
What does that even mean?

There is no trial by social media because he has already admitted his guilt. There is only condemnation on social media, which happens when a video appears of you torturing a cat.

Denzil
Has liked: 75 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by Denzil » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:11 am

Xabbu wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:02 am
Whilst I obviously will because I’m rational and I’ve made my point whether you agree or disagree, who are you to tell me what to do on an open forum when I’m only expressing an opinion, admittedly to the contrary of many others but that’s the way it goes sometimes.
I’m someone telling you to not tell a good contributor of this forum to go and post on another forum instead of this one because you don’t like what he says and because he supports another club. You tried to shoot him down in front of everyone for no reason and you deserved, IMO, to be told to knock it off.

It’s also beyond ironic you don’t want people telling you what to do on an open forum, however you’re happy telling others what to do.
Last edited by Denzil on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 162 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:12 am

wizzo_66 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 am
Moyes made the right call. The longer this went on the longer the cloud would have been hanging over us for when he played again.

Let the club take their internal action, allow any due process to take place in terms of the RSPCA/Police and then we move on whatever those outcomes are.

Nope. Playing him pumps the story up. This now IS a West Ham story instead of an isolated case of a professional football player acting out of order once again. NOW we are part of the story. A real kick in the teeth.

steps
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by steps » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 am

Suzannah Reid’s going to be discussing his “future in football” on GMTV shortly, and they just had a reporter outside the LS talking about how the petition is gaining signatures.

They want him cancelled.

WebmasterFF
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by WebmasterFF » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 am

Puncher12 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:02 am
That sponsor also apparently sponsor Seaworld so y'know, nice to see where they draw the line at cruelty to animals.
This. Don't let any big sponsor try and play the role of social justice champions, the only reason why they are doing things like this and releasing statements is to protect their own profits, especially when some of these companies (like certain kit manufacturers) have used child labour and other equally morally wrong structures to maximise their income.
Last edited by WebmasterFF on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 am

DusseldorfHammer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:12 am
Nope. Playing him pumps the story up. This now IS a West Ham story instead of an isolated case of a professional football player acting out of order once again. NOW we are part of the story. A real kick in the teeth.
I disagree.

What Moyes did is get the West Ham part of the story out of the way.

Unless Moyes and the club were planning on sacking him or never playing him again and selling him in the Summer then he was always going to play, and the longer he didn't play for the more of a circus and furore there would have been about him playing.

Personally, I wouldn't have played him he'd be first on the transfer list in the Summer, but if that's not the plan then playing him straight away was the right move.

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:21 am

Hope all those condemning Zouma (rightly) have the same morale outrage when they remember our manager threatened violence against a female journo.

I think both were appalling, but punishment has to be proportionate.

Or do those same posters want Moyes out of our club?

one.paulhilton
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by one.paulhilton » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:21 am

steps wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 am
Suzannah Reid’s going to be discussing his “future in football” on GMTV shortly, and they just had a reporter outside the LS talking about how the petition is gaining signatures.

They want him cancelled.
Ahh Suzannah has spoken. We are all saved. Long live the cat.