Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

omch@
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: Russian troop build up on Ukraine border.

Post by omch@ »

EvilC wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:41 pm How is the rule of law in Russia?
At the end of the year, law helped me return the money for a broken vacuum cleaner.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

omch@ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:58 pm I will write again. I was told by the cannon people who live in the DPR how the Ukrainian military killed civilians. I KNOW THIS NOT FROM THE RUSSIAN MEDIA. THIS IS SAYING BY PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE DPR.
Nothing to do with my point.
omch@

Post by omch@ »

I heard that there are a lot of criminal oligarchs from Russia hiding in London.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

omch@ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:47 pm At the end of the year, law helped me return the money for a broken vacuum cleaner.
Good one.

That doesn’t answer the question.

I’m not sure why I’m bothering to try and debate with someone that themselves is unwilling or unable to debate in good faith or follow a sequential argument. Such traits are obviously core for anyone trying to stand up for actions of the Russian state, because any attempt to do so by discussing it properly would crumble in the face of the facts.
omch@

Post by omch@ »

EvilC wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:04 pm Good one.

That doesn’t answer the question.

I’m not sure why I’m bothering to try and debate with someone that themselves is unwilling or unable to debate in good faith or follow a sequential argument. Such traits are obviously core for anyone trying to stand up for actions of the Russian state, because any attempt to do so by discussing it properly would crumble in the face of the facts.
Maybe I don't understand the question. Sorry.
omch@

Post by omch@ »

Het-Field wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:58 pm Nothing to do with my point.
This is your point. You decide what to believe.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

omch@ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:07 pm This is your point. You decide what to believe.
Of course. But that doesn’t mean your source is superior or more trustworthy.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Why The Ukraine Crisis Is The West's Fault - by US Professor , John Mearsheimer of the University of Chicago .

omch@

Post by omch@ »

Het-Field wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:10 pm Of course. But that doesn’t mean your source is superior or more trustworthy.
Of course. I trust the common people, not media.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:20 pm Why The Ukraine Crisis Is The West's Fault - by US Professor , John Mearsheimer of the University of Chicago .

I’m sure I speak for many when I say that I am not watching 70 minutes of this, however he was absolutely right when he said that Ukraine should never have given up their nukes.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

omch@ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:06 pm Maybe I don't understand the question. Sorry.
How about some simpler ones then:

1) Do you believe that Putin would get 77% of the vote in a truly free presidential election?

2) Do you agree it's correct that the constitution has been rewritten to allow him to serve for 2 more terms?

3) Do you think the treatment of Alexei Navalny is justified, or an attempt to silence him?

4) Do you accept that Russia used nerve agent in the UK and killed our citizens illegally?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 922 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Five banks. Three oligarchs.

That will send shockwaves through the Kremlin alright.
omch@

Post by omch@ »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:31 pm How about some simpler ones then:

1) Do you believe that Putin would get 77% of the vote in a truly free presidential election?

2) Do you agree it's correct that the constitution has been rewritten to allow him to serve for 2 more terms?

3) Do you think the treatment of Alexei Navalny is justified, or an attempt to silence him?

4) Do you accept that Russia used nerve agent in the UK and killed our citizens illegally?
1) Maybe. Putin did not have worthy participants.

2) Changing the constitution is Putin's deal with the liberals. 2 terms of Putin is not a problem. There are problems created by Sulivanov, Chubais and others.

I voted against changing the constitution.

3) I am neutral about Navalny, because he did nothing and did not offer to do anything for ordinary people. He called pointless rallies with schoolchildren.

Russians are also to blame for corruption. Because of the bureaucracy, it's easier for us to pay. This is a bad feature of the Russian mentality.

The video about Putin's house is funny. He officially can choose where to live and what kind of house to build.

4) Perhaps Skripal knew something. These are spy games. Britain's intelligence of the breaches is working, since it could not prevent it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

omch@ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:42 pm Putin is not an angel, but... :fingerr: People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

https://ru.scribd.com/book/353182420/Al ... t-Round-To
This isn't a response, this is trolling, but nonetheless since we're playing that game, here is a map of the Grand Duchy of Muscovy that existed before the Russian Empire. It's significantly smaller than the current Russian Federation.

Britain has given independence to all of it's former Empire save the bits that want to remain tied to the UK. I'd say Russia should be doing the same thing. You know, because people who live in glass houses should not throw stones and all that.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

omch@ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:58 pm 1) Maybe. Putin did not have worthy participants.
Funny you put that. Tends to be a habit in dictatorships that the leader doesn't have any worthy opponents in an election.

You might also note point 3 at this point and where that person is currently located.

Also point 4, you haven't denied Russia carried out an attack on UK soil. At least you haven't tried to tell is those men were studying our Cathedrals.

Do you have any other items you can educate us on from a Russian point of view?

Is it embarrassing that so many.of your athletes cheat via doping, and your country even manipulates 15 year old children?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

If nothing else, can we kick Chelsea out of the PL (& the EFL) & take away all of their trophies of the last 20 years?
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Might is right by the sound of things......
omch@

Post by omch@ »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:16 pm Funny you put that. Tends to be a habit in dictatorships that the leader doesn't have any worthy opponents in an election.

You might also note point 3 at this point and where that person is currently located.

Also point 4, you haven't denied Russia carried out an attack on UK soil. At least you haven't tried to tell is those men were studying our Cathedrals.

Do you have any other items you can educate us on from a Russian point of view?

Is it embarrassing that so many.of your athletes cheat via doping, and your country even manipulates 15 year old children?
Doping is accepted by all athletes. Everyone on the Norwegian team has asthma. China did not allow a shipment of asthma drugs for Norwegian athletes to pass. And how did Klebo perform?

Those who allowed this are to blame and should be punished! RUSADA is subordinate to WADA (Putin is not famous here) A lot of negativity has poured out on Valieva. I don't think she deserved it.

I have a lot of questions about doping.

Why did they open this particular doping test? The doping test before the Olympics was clean.

Why did the media get information earlier than the IOC?

Why did WADA allow Simone Bales to take methylphenidate and amphetamines as an exception?
r99c
Has liked: 707 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

Their annexation of Crimea didn't get half the coverage this did, and no talk about all going to war etc. Why the huge fuss this time?
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

I recall a lot of coverage and reaction. The same in 2008 when the crisis was in Georgia.