👋 Farewell, Pablo Fornals

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Straw
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Re: Pablo Fornals

Post by The Straw »

James P wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:42 am The guy loses the ball in unpressured situations more than any other player. He is constantly running the ball out of play, playing passes behind players and generally turning possession over to the opposition.

His pass to Cresswell against Wolves was exquisite. It was fantastic. But that’s the one time out of ten. More often than not he plays the wrong pass in the wrong place.

He was terrible tonight and rightly hooked
That's b*llocks. All of the above is embarrassing. He's always doing a job for us. Imagine playing a game of football where every time you recieve the ball you're on your wrong foot in space out wide by the opposite half way line. You take it on the back foot and recycle possession as best you can. You can do one of two things, try a speculative ball into Antonio depending on what mad run he's decided to make. Or you can keep possession of the football. Away from home especially Pablo is important.
The Straw
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Clucking Bell wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:45 am He's got the best football brain at the club by some distance and his vision and ability to make exactly the right pass is comparable to anyone in the top flight.

If I'm being super critical, I'd say that there are two issues. One, he has no pace. Even when he's got five yards on a defender, my money is on the defender. There's nothing he can do about that but, it does mean that he needs blokes with either pace or good football brains around him. The second thing, and it's something the coaching staff need to address, is his reluctance to shoot. Even when he does, it often looks like the last resort as he blasts the ball into a wall of bodies.

I agree with the Straw, he'd be outstanding in the Citeh side and the comparisons with the likes of David Silva and Iniesta wouldn't look far fetched.
Agree about the lack of pace. I reckon that's a right touch for us all things considered 😂
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

James P wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:42 am The guy loses the ball in unpressured situations more than any other player. He is constantly running the ball out of play, playing passes behind players and generally turning possession over to the opposition.

His pass to Cresswell against Wolves was exquisite. It was fantastic. But that’s the one time out of ten. More often than not he plays the wrong pass in the wrong place.

He was terrible tonight and rightly hooked
Amazing how we fans see the game so differently.

1/10 passing rate? Seriously?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Can we play him in the opposition's half, please?
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Last night was another game recently when the pressure they put on our midfield meant too many players tried to force passes when there wasn't one on. Pablo should watch Lanzini on how to stop if there isn't a pass on and keep hold of the ball and wait for a player to become available in space.

He hit an exquisite pass to Johnson in the first half that should have put Johnson away. Unfortunately Johnson's first touch was poor and the chance faded.

He had an off-night last night, but he was far from alone in that.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:05 am Amazing how we fans see the game so differently.

1/10 passing rate? Seriously?
I’m not saying he has a 1/10 pass success rate obviously. But the killer defence splitting pass is a rarity. The pass to Cresswell against Wolves was a fine example as I’ve said but it is the exception rather than the norm.

Comparisons to Silva and Iniesta are ridiculous.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Filled in, and did a job vs Wolves...

But please, PLEASE, Moyes, do not play him at LWB ever again.

Such a waste.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Decent player, but a bit too.lightweight for my taste and too often a passenger

James P wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:50 am I’m not saying he has a 1/10 pass success rate obviously. But the killer defence splitting pass is a rarity. The pass to Cresswell against Wolves was a fine example as I’ve said but it is the exception rather than the norm.

Pass to Declan at Kidderminster - the assist that booked us the chance of even turning up at St Mary's

Pass across pen area to Cress, vs NUFC, which he didn't get on target.

Played another perfectly weighted ball in the penalty area to Antonio last night, from which we almost scored.

Only Lanzini, Bowen and Rice have the same light and shade in their feet (and Bowen realistically with his left only, if we're talking about the sweetest passing) as Fornals.

And only Rice is called on to also cover acres of space, whilst trying to bring the team forward.

He's obviously a long way off Iniesta, or even Silva, but he's in a select group in our squad.

I doubt he would chose to play the position he's presently used in, but you wouldn't notice that from how he goes about it.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

4th best player in the club. Should start every single week.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

People questioning Fornals tells me it isn't only the players who are suffering from a long season.
Madness.

The bloke is the only player in the squad who can play a killer pass (and pulls it off quite often). If it wasn't for him In the dying moments in the last round it would've been kiddiminster playing Southampton last night.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

He put it on a plate for Bowen against Wolves

I would say he is our best 'short range' passer and the one most likely to pick out and deliver a slide rule forward pass that bisects the defence

Probably the only 'attacking' player we have that has the skill set to play for team that dominates possession. He would certainly thrive at Manchester City for example
Alcaucin Ammef
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Alcaucin Ammef »

Appreciate I am an unashamed Pablo fan but I watch every Hammers game here in Spain usually with Malaga supporting Spanish friends. They (to a man) struggle to understand our use of Pablito. They see him very much as a central midfielder whose key strength is transitioning from defence to attack. Apparently he played more as a 10 even in early days at Malaga.
The comparisons with Iniesta come from a belief that he has a similar eye for a defence splitting pass, NOT that he is in that league (but could grow to be).
The general feel here is that he is being criminally misused and that it won't be long before a return to Spain is on the cards to one of the big boys.
I would love to see him play more centrally rather than defending our obvious left side issues.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Alcaucin Ammef wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:55 am Appreciate I am an unashamed Pablo fan but I watch every Hammers game here in Spain usually with Malaga supporting Spanish friends. They (to a man) struggle to understand our use of Pablito. They see him very much as a central midfielder whose key strength is transitioning from defence to attack. Apparently he played more as a 10 even in early days at Malaga.
The comparisons with Iniesta come from a belief that he has a similar eye for a defence splitting pass, NOT that he is in that league (but could grow to be).
The general feel here is that he is being criminally misused and that it won't be long before a return to Spain is on the cards to one of the big boys.
I would love to see him play more centrally rather than defending our obvious left side issues.
I can't believe you could possibly be suggesting he is being played in the wrong position?
at west ham? lol
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

James P wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:50 am I’m not saying he has a 1/10 pass success rate obviously. But the killer defence splitting pass is a rarity. The pass to Cresswell against Wolves was a fine example as I’ve said but it is the exception rather than the norm.

Think most of our chances recently have gone through him.
Unfortunately due to his attitude and work rate has to focus on the team job.
Would love to see him be able to express himself more.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Mate what are you watching.

Playing LWB in the last two games he laid on at least three defence splitting balls to Cresswell, Bowen and Johnson. And a few more that put us in good positions which we wasted.

Of course he’s not Silva or Iniesta, but he’s a very good player.

Even better when he isn’t used as an auxiliary defender.

We are lucky to have him. One of our best players.

Did he pause for breath once last night?

I knew without even looking that it would be him up in support of Mike, when the ball was worked free.

Would have had the whole goal to aim at, if the pass had been just a bit more accurate.

For me, next season, if Rice stays, the midfield options of Rice, Sou, Fornals and Lanzini will only strengthen as they blend better together.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

An absolutely essential cog in the wheel.

His work rate is ridiculous. His team spirit is unparalleled.

If I was going into a war I'll have him please.

Total fan boy of his character.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

He celebrates his teammates goals as much as if they were his own, and I will never tire of that.

Also.. is he left or right footed?

:D

If you watched him last night for the first time, it'd be impossible to tell..

:heart: Pablo.
Sergei
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by Sergei »

davids cross wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:32 am An absolutely essential cog in the wheel.

His work rate is ridiculous. His team spirit is unparalleled.
He's relentless. Always gives the absolute best of himself. Not everything he tries comes off but he just gets on with it and goes again. Incredible team player. Does it all with a small on his face too.