The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by JLCABA »

If we sign Phillips … The man bun goes ? Yeah?
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

One or two reports this morning saying Phillips is all set to sign a new contract with Leeds his summer.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

hammer1975 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:25 am Vlasic is an odd one. There is clearly a player there - when he gets the ball he is good with it. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen an attacking/creative player seek the ball less. He came on against spurs, played a give and go and immediately ran behind two spurs players where he couldn’t possibly receive it and made no effort to get into space. Coming on as sub and you’d have expected him to be up for it to get on the ball. He’s heading towards the Haller bracket of ‘good player but does he really fit us?’.
I have noticed this too but, with him coming on to try and change the game, we don't know what his instructions were. Maybe he was told to get into the box and create space for Yarmolenko. That's the problem with mainly being an impact sub. I think he's an intelligent player that's good at shielding the ball and I'd personally be telling him to stay outside the box or around the edge of the box, involving himself in build up play or taking a shot when the opportunity arises. Judging from his youtube video, that seems to be the kind of position he was effective in. I don't criticise Moyes much, I think he's been great and I've supported him since the beginning, but in the case of Vlasic - I don't think he's handled it right.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:57 pm Spence is on loan from Middlesbrough. Can’t see them selling just yet imo.
Why on earth not? They have a highly competent right back that they are playing there. And a guy who they have had some issues with, but now looks like a star on loan.

So their choices are take him back to the club next year, and hope to integrate him in to the team - but perhaps stifle the guy playing there this year. Or sell him, which if premier league clubs are sniffing around will be for really good money - and enable them to fill a hole they actually have in their team.

It is about the most moneyball thing you could do...

It might change if they were to go up - but even then with limited resources is two good right backs essential

[The only even more moneyball idea would be if Forest go up then loan him another year to raise his profile even higher.]
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:36 am One or two reports this morning saying Phillips is all set to sign a new contract with Leeds his summer.
I don’t think he wants to leave there. He’s a local lad and he loves the place. Now they’re relatively safe reckon he will stay put
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 pm but where honestly, do we figure that extra 27M is going ? and I don't believe for one single minute all of it will find it's way in the transfer kitty.

call me an old cynic...

:crylol:
You old cynic, but you can call me old fashioned if you want
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 pm but where honestly, do we figure that extra 27M is going ? and I don't believe for one single minute all of it will find it's way in the transfer kitty.

call me an old cynic...

:crylol:
C&H is preparing an article as we speak that will say 26.9m of that is committed on player bonus’ and we need to manage our expectations….but Moyes has £100 billion dollars to spend but won’t buy anyone and the new fella hasn’t really turned up properly and needs to put his hands in his pocket. The co-chairmen have been working round the clock though….
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1365 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Character is a fundamental part of Moyes recruitment decisions, and there are a lot of rumours Loftus-Cheek is primarily in it for the money and while very talented both physically and technically that’s not a great fit with Moyes ethos. Phillips on the other hand seems prepared to sweat blood for the cause, question is if his love for Leeds is stronger than personal ambition, he’s 26 now, 3 years older than Declan and at a stage where he needs to make career decisions. Would love him here alongside Dec allowing Soucek to get forward in his most effective role. Switching to 4 3 3 allows Coufal to get forward, ideally balanced with a Hickey / Sosa at left back, and means attacking talents like Benny and Bowen don’t use so much energy as auxiliary defenders. I also think signing Phillips ( or similar Kamara etc) probably gives us a years breathing space at centre back if Oggy returns fit and we’ll. And maybe the front 3 is a more mobile unit a la Liverpool, so perhaps it’s Brennan Johnson rather than a traditional lump ? As many on here have commented our issue is conceding less rather than scoring more, this would help do that, and hopefully convince Dec and Jarrod we are going places.

Leaves 2 big questions… do we have the cash for Phillips AND a quality left back plus the prime requirement up front, and if Phillips is ready to leave Leeds would he want to jump straight to Champions League, watch Liverpool come in there with him ideal to replace Henderson / Milner. We are talking over £100m for Phillips, Sosa / Hickey and Brennan but the side is massively improved in both quality and pace

Agree with earlier comments Moyes seems against wholesale change, could see money spent on just 3, cf / cm / lb, all fitting his “ improve the team” objective, ideally extending Areola loan with a view to buying him and a centre back the following year. All fits his small squad ideal, but moves from current 13 or 14 to 18 or more with a couple of the kids like Ashby and Perkins and probably a Bosman.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

1895Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:49 am Character is a fundamental part of Moyes recruitment decisions, and there are a lot of rumours Loftus-Cheek is primarily in it for the money and while very talented both physically and technically that’s not a great fit with Moyes ethos. Phillips on the other hand seems prepared to sweat blood for the cause, question is if his love for Leeds is stronger than personal ambition, he’s 26 now, 3 years older than Declan and at a stage where he needs to make career decisions. Would love him here alongside Dec allowing Soucek to get forward in his most effective role. Switching to 4 3 3 allows Coufal to get forward, ideally balanced with a Hickey / Sosa at left back, and means attacking talents like Benny and Bowen don’t use so much energy as auxiliary defenders. I also think signing Phillips ( or similar Kamara etc) probably gives us a years breathing space at centre back if Oggy returns fit and we’ll. And maybe the front 3 is a more mobile unit a la Liverpool, so perhaps it’s Brennan Johnson rather than a traditional lump ? As many on here have commented our issue is conceding less rather than scoring more, this would help do that, and hopefully convince Dec and Jarrod we are going places.

Leaves 2 big questions… do we have the cash for Phillips AND a quality left back plus the prime requirement up front, and if Phillips is ready to leave Leeds would he want to jump straight to Champions League, watch Liverpool come in there with him ideal to replace Henderson / Milner. We are talking over £100m for Phillips, Sosa / Hickey and Brennan but the side is massively improved in both quality and pace

Agree with earlier comments Moyes seems against wholesale change, could see money spent on just 3, cf / cm / lb, all fitting his “ improve the team” objective, ideally extending Areola loan with a view to buying him and a centre back the following year. All fits his small squad ideal, but moves from current 13 or 14 to 18 or more with a couple of the kids like Ashby and Perkins and probably a Bosman.
I hadn't heard of RLC character issues.
But I do understand the need for the right attitude.
We need to realise that most players think about the money though. In fact he has played more than I realises this season so maybe a no go.

Obviously Phillips is a more desirable choice, certainly from me. But likely 3 times the price and in high demand. It just won't happen.

We absolutely have to get a LB, CB, CM and CF. Then either re-loan Areola, sign him or get another.
We also probably need another AM with Yarmo leaving.
There are no excuses.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I’ve always though RLC was of the Yarmolenko (big guy blown over by a stiff breeze) variety. He seems to get linked every window but I’ve never really been that keen - my impression has always been that his best seasons have been higher up the pitch than where Soucek and Rice play so that he has had the comfort of ball winning midfielders behind him.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

hammer1975 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:11 am I’ve always though RLC was of the Yarmolenko (big guy blown over by a stiff breeze) variety. He seems to get linked every window but I’ve never really been that keen - my impression has always been that his best seasons have been higher up the pitch than where Soucek and Rice play so that he has had the comfort of ball winning midfielders behind him.
Played CM and CDM the few times I have seen him this season.
But teams at the top tend to be able to use players with more ability deeper and in defence as they dominate the ball. Of topic but Cancelo at Man City would be a number 10 for us.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

You have to look at RLC's gametime and performances for Fulham last season to see what you're getting.

He should have been one of the first names on the teamsheet and he should have really took that as a chance to step up.

He wasn't and didn't.

His career seems to be descending into a bit part player in a big team but not a player with the hunger / drive to take a 'step down'. That's all good... but not someone I particularly see as the player we are looking for.

The last time he really showed what you want to see from him was 4 years ago at Palace. 4 years is a long time in football.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am You have to look at RLC's gametime and performances for Fulham last season to see what you're getting.

He should have been one of the first names on the teamsheet and he should have really took that as a chance to step up.
In the league.
22 starts
9 on as a sub.
Only twice on the bench and didn't get on
Missed 3 games through injury and 2 vs Chelsea.

You can certainly argue he didn't perform enough in respect of output. But that was a team that just couldn’t score, but we rode our luck to get 4 points from then. I thought as far as using and holding the ball Fulham were decent against us.

For the right price, think its a good option. But don't know enough about fit/attitude/tactical discipline which as others have pointed out is key.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:36 am One or two reports this morning saying Phillips is all set to sign a new contract with Leeds his summer.
Those were the noises coming out from the media in Jan when we supposedly bid for Phillips. If true, that is extreme loyalty - a huge rarity in today's game. Phillips could and should be playing for a club competing at the top end of the table and in Europe. Not sure if he'll achieve that at Leeds. But if he wants to stick with his boyhood club, then gotta admire him for being a rare breed.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

The Straw wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:25 am I was banging the drum for Olise last summer, and Eze the summer before him (although for mad some reason I had reservations about his turn of pace) . Both natural footballers with technique and vision. I can imagine Peaches was all for them as well as he is a poster I admire on here because he clearly watches a lot of football.

It annoyed me that we went and spent a fair amount on Vlasic when there were options like Olise who were out of contract.
There were a few clamouring for Olise in the summer (I didn't know much about him at the time). In hindsight, I make you all right. As I said a few pages back, I think Olise would've made a bigger impact for us this season than Vlasic at a fraction of the price. He looks a serious talent. Also homegrown, also. File under 'Robert Lee'. :winker:

That's not to say I wasn't excited by the signing of Vlasic. I thought he was going to be the nuts for us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Disco_1 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:40 pm I see according to the Swiss Ramble (finance analyst), our Europa League run to date has netted the club an additional €27m in revenues. Surely the pot for transfers will be substantially higher this summer??
The club will turnover record revenue this year even if it goes out in the next round. They should be on track for at least £230m in total. With a fair wind and good results, that could hit £250m.

The net budget for acquisitions should be higher than Pellegrini was given in 2018.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Kretinsky having his dough in Gazprom cannot be a good thing for us.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

wildkard wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:19 am Kretinsky having his dough in Gazprom cannot be a good thing for us.
EPH, whilst probably headline profitable, will also be facing massive risks at present.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

These people that buy into West Ham, or sponsor West Ham.....they never learn, do they?

Might as well file for bankruptcy.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

wildkard wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:19 am Kretinsky having his dough in Gazprom cannot be a good thing for us.
He has investments in loads of companies around the world, that's what (and why) he does. We already have his initial investment and I do not believe he had any plan to invest more before his option to buy comes up next year. Of course he could look to sell his stake if he needs the cash (which I doubt) or Sullivan needs to look for another investor, which given our performances over the past two years there will be plenty (there will be at least 5 or 6 disappointed bidders for Chelsea with money to invest).