West Ham Utd 1-1 Burnley (17/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Burnley: match thread

Post by e17 »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:16 am Moyes won't play kral , he doesn't trust him
Probably based on the fact he’s basically “the invisible man” whenever he plays. He’s not even terrible, he just is.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I know it’s a big chance to gain some ground on Tottenham and Arsenal, but I think this is a match where we should rotate a bit. we only have 2 fit centre backs and only 2 competent central midfielders so Rice, Soucek, Ballon D’awson and Diop have to play, but i think Fredericks, Cresswell, Benrahma and Vlasic should all start tomorrow.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Agree we should use the squad for this game.In my opinion we have to rest Antonio,Dawson,Rice and Bowen for this game.
Personally as a fan I want our best players rested and fresh for the Frankfurt game.The chance of winning the Europa cup is at the forefront of mine and no doubt many others minds.
I want to see what Alese can do at centre back an ideal opportunity for him to play.Likewise with Oxoflex.
Use the squad and if the likes of Vlasic,Benrahma and a few others have anything about them they will want to up thier levels of performance to be in contention for the semi final.
fabianski
fredericks diop Alese cresswell
Chesters noble Souceck Benrahma
Vlasic
Yarmalenko
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I can remember the time when sides challenging for something would put out weakened teams against one of our relegation rivals late season and there would be uproar about it being unfair etc. How times have changed.

I would agree that no risks should be taken with anyone the medics/fitness staff believe need resting but otherwise look for a strong side v Burnley; going to generally rest players next week v Chelsea (far closer to the tie and let’s face it the only club really to have anything riding on the match is us) is the game.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a bit like the Brentford @@@@ show.
1-2 to Burnley. But who cares if we can win the europa?
:scarfer:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I am not too bothered about swapping into contention 2, max 3, performers, perhaps to allow Benrahma and Vlasic starts (LW and #10, respectively), but this team has got to this position by digging in and going again, from Zagreb away onwards.

They are close enough knit and well enough drilled to be able to carry on in the same shape with modified personnel.

We can't however start without Rice, Soucek and Dawson on the pitch. They know it and so does Moyes (and the other coaches).

Bet each of those players has woken up this morning, got out of bed early and started his preparations.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A good test for us this today, with Burnley making the utterly bonkers decision to offload Dyche, we have to go all out for the win. That would allow , and I can barely believe I'm typing this, us to rest key players against Chelsea with a view to getting the job done against Eintracht in the home fixture.In essence, beating Arsenal matters more to a top 4 chance than beating Chelsea.

Rumours of Dyche having a scrap with one of his players might suggest an element of a Dyche exit bounce if he had an unhappy squad, but I wouldn't bet on it: if you hang around the trap door season after season, you eventually fall through it.

Today will therefore see the PL's 4th most experienced manager of all time play a rookie, with barely a whole day under his belt.

A must win game given the circumstances.
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Fabi, Cress & Benny will come in. That’s it I reckon. I’d like to see Yarmo & Vlasic as well but can’t see it.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

BondsoBob wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:26 am I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a bit like the Brentford @@@@ show.
1-2 to Burnley. But who cares if we can win the europa?
:scarfer:
Well I care, as I am sure 55,000+ other supporters who are going do. This is the bread and butter football that feeds everything else. I'm sure Moyes will remind them of the Brentford game and what is at stake. Win this and Norwich and hopefully get 4 to 6 points out of our other games and top 6 is on.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Its must win if we want to stay in the mix. A loss would, I suspect , confirm us to be in a direct fight for 7th with Wolves.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Including today's game there are 5 key games for a top 4 finish, before we visit Chelsea. If most end favourably for us a win at Stamford Bridge would put us right in the mix for 4th.

I'm certain none of our players wants a day of rest on these two Sundays.

One of two tweaks in the full back positions maybe, but that's it for me.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

ironilunga wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:31 am Its must win if we want to stay in the mix. A loss would, I suspect , confirm us to be in a direct fight for 7th with Wolves.
A loss today and I’d actually put Wolves as favourites for 7th.

Our remaining games are remarkably similar, we both have to play Burnley next, with winnable games against Brighton and Norwich but all three are the inverse fixtures in terms of location.

We both then have Man City (h), Chelsea (a) with the only difference being with have Arsenal (h) whilst they have Liverpool (a). If you factor in our two semi finals either side of the Arsenal game, id say the difficulty of our runs ins is pretty much identical.

Fortunately we have a 2 point cushion and a better goal difference, but we need to win today or I fear we’ll finish 8th.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

only1post wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:37 am Including today's game there are 5 key games for a top 4 finish, before we visit Chelsea. If most end favourably for us a win at Stamford Bridge would put us right in the mix for 4th.

I'm certain none of our players wants a day of rest on these two Sundays.

One of two tweaks in the full back positions maybe, but that's it for me.
Taking other fixtures into account I'd expect us to finish level on points with Arsenal and finish 6th or 7th depending on goal difference providing we beat Arsenal. But that has Arsenal losing to Tottenham and us losing to Chelsea.
IronRhino
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Peaches wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:43 am I know it’s a big chance to gain some ground on Tottenham and Arsenal, but I think this is a match where we should rotate a bit. we only have 2 fit centre backs and only 2 competent central midfielders so Rice, Soucek, Ballon D’awson and Diop have to play, but i think Fredericks, Cresswell, Benrahma and Vlasic should all start tomorrow.
I agree, but can't see Moyes changing the habits of a lifetime. Expect the strongest possible starting 11
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Really interesting game today - for once this is a real test of where we are at as this new weird West Ham. Lose this… and well we aren’t that much different from the old West Ham only slightly further up the league and challenging in Europe :lol:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Fully expecting to lose this, then win our next four against Chelsea, Frankfurt, Arsenal and Frankfurt before losing to Norwich.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:55 am Really interesting game today - for once this is a real test of where we are at as this new weird West Ham. Lose this… and well we aren’t that much different from the old West Ham only slightly further up the league and challenging in Europe :lol:
Yup. These are the bread and butter matches all teams chasing honours must win. It doesn't matter how, just win. Jemaine Jenas, ex Spurs himself, summed up Spurs to a 'T' yesterday. "We all know Spurs win when they play well, but every team wins, when they play well. The very best teams still win when they don't play well"
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 315 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Think a few minimal changes, obviously Fabianski and Cresswell returning, I would rest Antonio he ran himself into the ground Thursday night, probably would mean Bowen upfront and Benhrama or Vlasic wide in his place?
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Tough game after Thursdays exploits, but we really have to go for it, getting into Europe, while not defining success or otherwise, will be very handy again next term for the gradual development of the club.
The ONLY crumb being a loss today put Lampard under pressure.

Was it Fulham under WOY who were 'one season Euro wonders'? Getting to a final and not qualifying ever again ?
I know I could look it up but I'm trying to emphasise my point about 'continuity'