UELSF: West Ham Utd 1-2 Eintracht Frankfurt (28/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Eintracht Frankfurt: match thread

Post by Ilford Paolo »

super slav wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:11 pm Has everyone received their emailed ticket for this. Not had mine yet but had my Arsenal one
Last Thursday, and then the extra ones on Friday.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'm not really bothered about tomorrow.

We're going to win the tie in the away fixture.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:17 am I'm not really bothered about tomorrow.

We're going to win the tie in the away fixture.
It's the 2nd leg where weve done the business in the last two rounds, would be nice take a lead over there though
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

No need to risk Zouma if he isn't quite ready. We may need him for a 'backs to the wall' effort next week.
After much debate in my own head, and after seeing Johnson play so solidly at Chelsea, I have settled on the following for the 1st leg. I don't expect Frankfurt to come at us away from home and I think we have the better players if we match them up man for man. They have a couple of key defensive players out, Ndicka at CB and Jakić, their holding midfielder are both huge losses to them.

--------------------- Areola ---------------------
--------- Johnson Dawson Cresswell --------
Coufal ------------- Rice ------------- Fornals
----------- Bowen Soucek Lanzini -----------
-------------------- Antonio --------------------

Solid defensively with Coufal, Fornals and Rice all dropping in when we are under pressure, dangerous in attack with Bowen Soucek and Lanzini all playing off of Antonio. The only position I am not 100% sold on is LWB, Fornals can 'do a job' there as we saw against Wolves, but do we really want that mentality for a semi final? I think it is just about our best bet.

Having scanned through many of their highlight edits, they seem to almost monotonously stick to one game plan, and it is quite effective. They get the ball into the channels and then cut it back into the box along the floor (a lot like Chelsea's winner against us at the weekend).
For a team so good at crossing the ball, they seem surprisingly poor at defending crosses.
One game to take huge hope from is the recent Union Berlin 2-0 defeat. Union have an unfashionable, strong, awkward forward who runs the channel and causes defenders all kinds of problems (remind you of anyone?). Frankfurt couldn't handle him on the day.

They certainly don't seem to be any stronger than Lyon or Sevilla to me (Leipzig seem to be far stronger) so I'd certainly say we have beaten better this season. Obviously it is going to be a tough tie but this is very winnable in my eyes and we could even be out of sight if we get at them early at home then keep our discipline.

Let's get that London Stadium rocking, get at them from the off and watch a well rested Antonio rip them a new one before they even now the game has started.

COME ON YOU IRONS!!!
:hamm:
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2949 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Buzzing for this one.

Buzzzzzzzzzing!!!! 🐝
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

Starting to feel a bit sad about not having tickets for this one, but I'll be making a pilgrimage to the Black Lion to watch it.
We watched the last match at the Boleyn there, after enjoying the atmosphere at the ground as the coaches arrived. It was a bit special.
Hope they have the game on.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

WHUST had a meeting on Monday to discuss arrangements for supporter safety at this week’s match against Eintracht Frankfurt at the London Stadium. This was a typical call that WHUST has with Football Supporters Europe before a European match and we were joined by Dario Minden from the Eintracht Frankfurt fan organisation and Superintendent Jo Edwards who is the Met's match commander for Thursday’s game.

https://www.whust.org/news/west-ham-vs-frankfurt-supporter-briefing
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Saw my first game in 1972......3-0 home win v Man Utd

Have seen two cup wins and the 75-76 Cup Winners Cup run.

In regards to winning something (and not staving off relegation...or wining a play off final or a domestic cup, which brings small financial benefit).. this is the biggest game since the 1980 Cup Final....for me at least.

Make no mistake, opportunity beckons here and now........it doesn't come along too often. We have to take this. We have to make this happen.....not be proud losers....or proud runners up. Just this once....let's grab this chance and run with it so fast, that our pants fall down as we sprint away off into the distance.

100% support for the team. Make it horrible and hostile and loud....and unforgiving for everyone apart from West Ham.

This is our trophy, our history to be made...make it so......no regrets this time. And onto the final.

ComE oN wesT hAM ...... :hamm:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Wembley1966 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:54 am WHUST had a meeting on Monday to discuss arrangements for supporter safety at this week’s match against Eintracht Frankfurt at the London Stadium. This was a typical call that WHUST has with Football Supporters Europe before a European match and we were joined by Dario Minden from the Eintracht Frankfurt fan organisation and Superintendent Jo Edwards who is the Met's match commander for Thursday’s game.

https://www.whust.org/news/west-ham-vs-frankfurt-supporter-briefing
Interesting the German OB dont think there will be many ticketless Frankfurt in London tomorrow.
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

davids cross wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:56 pm ComE oN wesT hAM ...... :hamm:
Well put sir!!
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:59 am Hopefully Moyes can keep the frankfurters guessing on Zouma all the way until the teams are announced at 6.30:thup:
Ein tricked Frankfurt

International man of moyes-tery that he is
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Wembley1966 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:54 am WHUST had a meeting on Monday to discuss arrangements for supporter safety at this week’s match against Eintracht Frankfurt at the London Stadium.
Endi stated that the incident in Sevilla happened not as a result of Frankfurt fans looking for trouble with West Ham fans but as a result of a police decision to lead the Frankfurt fans after their match directly to the square where West Ham fans had gathered.
An interesting observation.

I wonder, did the Spanish Police make the Frankfurt fans who weren't looking for trouble throw chairs and bottles at West Ham fans too?
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Kumb have said zouma will not be playing tomorrow good chance 2nd leg .
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Garry wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:12 pm Kumb have said zouma will not be playing tomorrow good chance 2nd leg .
What the f*** do those old men know.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:30 am
I am way too excited for a middle aged man about a game of football..
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I must be doing this fan thing wrong as I'm not excited at all. I feel like I'm in a hospital waiting room waiting for a doctor to tell me if a loved one has pulled through.
Sawbo
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Sawbo »

I'm hearing the Frankfurt team are staying here.
https://shoreditch.courthouse-hotel.com/

Surprised they aren't staying at a Docklands hotel. Maybe they've been put off by the Lasagne. 😄
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 pm An interesting observation.

I wonder, did the Spanish Police make the Frankfurt fans who weren't looking for trouble throw chairs and bottles at West Ham fans too?
And put those big sticks into their hands.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Mega Ron wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:20 pm I must be doing this fan thing wrong as I'm not excited at all. I feel like I'm in a hospital waiting room waiting for a doctor to tell me if a loved one has pulled through.
Snap! Everyone else is bonkers.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Sawbo wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:23 pm I'm hearing the Frankfurt team are staying here.
https://shoreditch.courthouse-hotel.com/

Surprised they aren't staying at a Docklands hotel. Maybe they've been put off by the Lasagne. 😄
Who's going to keep them awake all night. :scarfer: :crylol: