UELSF: Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 West Ham Utd (5/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: ⚽ Eintracht Frankfurt v West Ham United: match thread

Post by HammerAl »

I’m not Cresswell’s biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, but to put the blame solely on him is very unfair.

It was one of those ties and we just didn’t have quite enough quality or nous to beat them, although I thought they were the weakest of the three teams we’ve played in the knockout stages.

I’m so proud of this team for this season and all the effort I’ve put in. No one thought we’d get this far in Europe, or be challenging for Europe in the league, let alone doing both at the same time!

We are a very good team and with a bit more investment, we’ll be challenging for Europe again.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

SoulCircus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:26 pm That bottle throwing at Fornals wound me up something chronic. Hope Rangers stuff them in the final.
That put him off the corner.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Vienna wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:21 pm Tears have just hit me, I'm so so sad, that's part of being West Ham. :cried:
Of course it is and I wouldnt want it any other way. I truely believe this is a journey we will learn from and grow, improve and win trophies.

Next year Rodney!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Sorry to hear that Hammers92. Hope you and your Mrs are ok. I 100% agree with you btw. Just posted similar.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

SoulCircus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:26 pm That bottle throwing at Fornals wound me up something chronic. Hope Rangers stuff them in the final.
So do I mate, on and off the pitch and the jocks will outnumber them as well
IronRhino
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by IronRhino »

hammers92 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:28 pm I
My wife had a miscarriage today and i’m fuming with absolutely everything. Gutted with just ****ing everything to be honest.
Really sorry to hear that, understand your anger
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1365 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:25 pm Well said

Really proud of this team. Some great nights and days they've given me and my kids this season. Liverpool and Sevilla at home and Lyon away will live long in the memory. Thankfully we get to choose how we react. I'll take pride and happiness.

IRONS :hamm:
Absolutely, it’s so many years since we had 2 years like the last 2, so proud of the team and Moyes, when was the last time we had any excitement bar relegation fears at the end of a season?
Now the onus is on GSB to support further growth, and us as fans to stay right behind this team.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:28 pm Quick summary for those whose streams turned to adverts on the 'w' of whistle?
Only have one striker.

Cresswell should’ve learnt from the Lyon game and it’s poor for him to do he same again in this one.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

hammers92 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:28 pm If it was Johnson that got the red Id accept the argument that it was inexperience, the occasion got to him, he just panicked etc.

How many games has Cresswell played in the Premier League? How has he not learned from Lyon?

There’s no hiding from the fact he’s cost us a place in the final, and I’m not having it from anyone that I’m not a proper fan , I’m overreacting or whatever.

My wife had a miscarriage today and i’m fuming with absolutely everything. Gutted with just ****ing everything to be honest.
Really sorry to hear that mate. Big love to you and your family.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:27 pm Wow.... is this a genuine opinion?
So you think if Cresswell had stayed on the pitch we would’ve played any differently to how we played for the rest of the game?
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by brothernero »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:27 pm Hate to break it to you but we aren’t even in it next season.
No really, doh!!

My god you are one of the most anoyying posters on here. Time to put you back on ignore
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

funky chicken wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:31 pm So you think if Cresswell had stayed on the pitch we would’ve played any differently to how we played for the rest of the game?
For one thing we'd have had another creative player in Lanzini on the pitch
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

hammers92 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:28 pm My wife had a miscarriage today and i’m fuming with absolutely everything. Gutted with just ****ing everything to be honest.
Puts everything into actual, real perspective. Sending best wishes :hamm:
Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

This group of players has been immense this season. A small squad has given everything. 10 men were the better side tonight and they did us proud, every one of them.

Mickey A has taken some criticism recently but he was a lionheart tonight and left nothing out there. He is what he is.

Cresswell will be distraught I’m sure. It’s so painful right now but I hope people get behind him and remember how many positive things he’s contributed this season, and many before.

This tie v Frankfurt just felt like one that was always going against us. Not one jot of luck in either leg.

Gutted, but still proud of our boys. They’re still a team I want to watch and give my full support to.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Regards Creswell... the ball was bouncing, the keeper was closing in, why did he feel the need?
I'll accept it because I'm west ham but I'm bored of being plucky losers.
Last edited by Absolutely Hammered! on Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

hammers92 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:28 pm If it was Johnson that got the red Id accept the argument that it was inexperience, the occasion got to him, he just panicked etc.

How many games has Cresswell played in the Premier League? How has he not learned from Lyon?

There’s no hiding from the fact he’s cost us a place in the final, and I’m not having it from anyone that I’m not a proper fan , I’m overreacting or whatever.

So sorry to hear to hear that h, puts a game of football into perspective.
Hope you & Mrs get through it.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:30 pm Sorry to hear that Hammers92. Hope you and your Mrs are ok. I 100% agree with you btw. Just posted similar.
Me too Hammers92. Thoughts with you
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

WCpete wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:13 pm Not sure why people keep saying we lost to a poor team. Don't know if you've noticed, they were better than us. Yeah circumstances blah, blah. It's May. Every side has its own 'what ifs' and 'buts' and 'coulda/shouldas' at this point in the season. IIRC, we weren't that far off relegation spots when we met Frankfurt in 75/76 season. Let's not sound so damned entitled. We got done. Right side is in the final.
Agreed. Complete and utter disappointment but the Frankfurters were the better side over the 2 legs.
Red card aside, I still think we would have lost.
I'm not Moyes' biggest fan but I loved the passion from him tonight.
Why are sone people knocking Antonio?
I thought he was immense. He ran himselof into the ground.
Finally, I know there must be one or two others on here who went to Frankfurt in '76, but I don't remember anything like the support for them back then.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Football comes second to what you and your wife have gone thru I'm sorry for your loss.
Disco_1
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Disco_1 »

All relevant points but sometimes in life, unexpected moments and opportunities arise. We have missed an extraordinarily good opportunity to make a mark on West Ham's current and future history. There are zero guarantees we find ourselves in this position anytime soon. We have had a great season but we'll do well to finish 7th and the side needs some glaring weaknesses dealt with. Throw in the age of our side and the ever closer departure of Rice, mid table mediocrity is absolutely on the cards.

Just like my dreams, they fade and die....