West Ham Utd 2-2 Manchester City (15/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by arlhe »

1-3. Don't get the optimism!
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Scratchy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:11 pm I've long said Soucek holds us back and always been coated for it. His actual ability on the ball is not Premier league standard, but his elite work rate, bravery and positioning make him a solid but unspectacular Premier league player. If you swap him for a Lanzini, we have an entire midfield very good at keeping the ball. It completely changes us for the better.
Except we become less brave, positionally worse, and get less work rate, which we are hugely dependent on. Plus we become less aerially dominant at our own set pieces and theirs (see Arsenal game). Man City are pretty handy at set pieces.

Lets be honest, against City we are going to be looking to get goal on the break. Lanzini in midfield is a luxury we don't need to think about affording.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

JonG86 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:58 pm Except we become less brave, positionally worse, and get less work rate, which we are hugely dependent on. Plus we become less aerially dominant at our own set pieces and theirs (see Arsenal game). Man City are pretty handy at set pieces.

Lets be honest, against City we are going to be looking to get goal on the break. Lanzini in midfield is a luxury we don't need to think about affording.
I agree there are games where we will want him to partner Rice. Obviously City is one of those games. When we play someone outside the top six I'd rather Lanzini for Fornals next to Rice.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Bloody hell, just looking at the results of past games & we've only won THREE league games since 2006.

The win was 2015 when Payet was playing & we won 2-1 away.

We also beat them 2-1 the previous season when Super Morgan Amalfitano opened the scoring in another 2-1 win.

Mark Noble played in both those games :winker:

And the only other time since 2006 was in 2009 when Collison scored the only goal. We finished above Citeh that season :grin:

Prior to that results were fairly even. I can't think what would have happened around 2007 or so that propelled Man City into a different stratosphere. A tweak in nutrition? Change in tactics? More Weetabix?
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

They just lost Laporte.

Edit: Nope, looked worse than it was.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Loving the optimism from some......but hey....

Can I just say that I know EXACTLY what will happen on Sunday........ :arry:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

West Ham United 4 - Manchester City 0

Vlasic (8, 45+2, 69), Noble (90+2); Sterling (79)
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I am sure they will cover it with their billion pound squad !
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:17 pm West Ham United 4 - Manchester City 0

Vlasic (8, 45+2, 69), Noble (90+2); Sterling (79)
Assume VAR went with the bigger team as normal, and wiped out the Sterling effort given 4-0 result?

😂
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:20 pm Assume VAR went with the bigger team as normal, and wiped out the Sterling effort given 4-0 result?

😂
“No consolation for Pep today…”

:lol:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

I’m an optimist and never concede a game to thinking the opposition is better. The way this Citeh team are carving their way through teams tests that optimism. However, we always make life awkward for them on recent times and Pep will be wary of the threat we pose. Wolves showed the damage that can be done if you break on them quickly and press them. I feel we can get a draw at least and make the last day a real nail biter.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

As with most of our battles with them with Moyes as our manager, we will give them a game.

Will be a draw or a narrow loss I reckon. Hoping for a 1-1 but can see a 1-2. Pretty confident we will score.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

With Wolves losing last night we are practically guaranteed ECL football next season, as they have Liverpool to play in their last game - so this for us is a free hit now, and if we want to catch Man U for 6th we need 3 points maybe assuming Palace do them which I think they will.

I hope Moyes sees it the same way as playing 5 at the back never gets us a result, irrespective of how unlucky we were up there earlier in the season they still had chances to score more and dominated. I always feel the best way to play City is a mid block, flood the midfield and try and retain possession there - when we play 5 at the back it just keeps coming back at us as they press high and we are not good enough the beat the press.

If we do play a mid block it means we have more of the ball and we can get players in more advanced positions. Believe me if we go on the defensive again it will be the same score all over again.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

We need to get something here.

Despite Man United being crap I could easily see them salvaging a point next week against palace. Which means we need to collect four points to get into that sixth sport.

The other reason we need something is that there’s a chance Wolves could be playing the scouse reserves on the last game of the season, assuming they know they can’t win the league.

Let’s get a point.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If only Real could loan us Benzema for this match, that would make things really interesting
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

bonzosbeard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:18 pm Who thinks we'll give them a right old game. After losing the semi final the weight seemed to come off the players.

Only Norwich? Behave, those that are long in the tooth here knows that didn't used to matter.
Gonna be tough.
I still think there is going to be a twist though in the Liverpool/Man City title race. This could be it.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I'm a bit puzzled as to why so many are saying we'll get something from this. Blind optimism, perhaps?

I think we'd lost five straight games before relegated Norwich were stuffed 0-4 on Sunday.

The only hope we have is that the players are up for this in a 'last night at They Boleyn' kind of way due to it being Noble's last home game - but on the other hand, the emotion of it could be an Achilles heal.

Oh I don't ****ing know.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

head says a city win heart says we will get a point

fabianski
coufal dawson zouma johnson
rice soucek lanzini
bowen antonio fornals

subs areola fredericks cresswell diop noble yarmolenko vlasic benrahma okoflex

1-1
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I give you the League cup win. Manchester City’s first defeat in the competition in 5 years.

:grin:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:03 am I give you the League cup win. Manchester City’s first defeat in the competition in 5 years.

:grin:
Yes and they had most of their superstars out that night too