NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:41 pm Interesting, and that is only 'free agency' which is players out of contract I believe

Now players seem to get traded whilst still under some form of contract with their current club, with draft picks as the transfer fee
correct to a degree.

I think that one player who is out of contract can also have a "franchise tag" placed on them.

effectively I think this means that they stay at their current club, but HAVE to be paid the average highest salary to players at their position. maybe the top 4 or something like that. I might have that slightly wrong but that's the jist of it.

if they cannot agree a new contract with their current club, they get an automatic one year deal which I'm pretty sure they HAVE to agree to, which pays them this much. they can't be designated again next year, so they do in effect become a free agent then.

I think though there's also a designation which does a similar thing but it's up to the club and player to negiatate this "new" deal and the team can choose to match that figure and they cannot agree he goes to the club of his choice which offered that salary but the club he leaves from, gets a specific draft pick in liue of him. i.e. it's as if he was traded but he gets to chosse where he is traded to. again I might have this slightly wrong but I think it's somewhere correct.

then there's the DeShawn Watson type of thing where when he renewed his new contract he asked for a no trade clause to be inserted which the Texans agreed to. which effectively meant he could never be traded.

he ended up getting the best financial deal from the Browns, who might not have offered what the other "bidding" clubs agreed to in terms of draft picks, but he could refuse to waive his no trade clause to any of the other bidders in effect getting himself traded to the only club he wanted to go to.

I think

:crylol:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Bobby Wagner to the Rams. That'll do nicely. :coolas:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:29 pm Bobby Wagner to the Rams. That'll do nicely. :coolas:
Lamar Jackson not happy.....

posted a tweet with just this apparently..

:angryred:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Terrible news about the Steelers QB. Run over :eyes:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The football player was walking on "a limited access facility for unknown reasons" as he tried to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 when there was oncoming traffic, Lt. Indiana Miranda told NBC News in an email. That's when he collided with an oncoming dump truck.

that's REALLY strange.

Interstate's are usually at least 6 lanes. albeit at 6.30 a.m. on a Sunday morning they're usually fairly heavy with traffic. if not it's still about a 50-60 yard dash from the hard shoulder to the other side.

maybe his car broke down and he was trying to cross the freeway to get help or that, but these days with a cell phone, you sit tight and call for help.

sad news for the young man and his family.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:25 pm The football player was walking on "a limited access facility for unknown reasons" as he tried to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 when there was oncoming traffic, Lt. Indiana Miranda told NBC News in an email. That's when he collided with an oncoming dump truck.

that's REALLY strange.
It really is bizarre.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Bleacher Report's team draft grades for anyone interested,

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/295 ... every-team
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WCpete wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:37 pm Bleacher Report's team draft grades for anyone interested,

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/295 ... every-team
I read a different review yesterday and that was quite a departure from this one. For example the one I read gave The Rams an A, and this one gives a C. Same with the Colts but the other way around.

Obviously all just based on opinion. We'll see soon enough. Bruss & Williams seem to be the stand out picks for the Rams from what i have read. Another SB appearance should be achievable, especially with our defense and the Stafford to Kupp axis.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Yeah. There's a huge disparity in reviews, I would imagine so that they'll get read. I posted one that didn't require signing up to. On the whole it probably wasn't a very good analysis. Most of the teams were B or better which is unrealistic. Most high draft picks do not become 'A' players.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Very good draft for my Giants, hopefully now have a GM and head coach in place to run us properly. Jets also had a great draft, maybe things looking up for NY football after a decade of misery!

Patriots draft was bizarre. I think they could actually finish last in the AFC East.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:43 pm
Patriots draft was bizarre. I think they could actually finish last in the AFC East.
Behind the Dolphins? :eh:
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:23 pm Behind the Dolphins? :eh:
Absolutely, Tua now has Hill and Waddle to throw to, they've got a good selection of running backs, Terron Armstead came in too in a good summer.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:43 pm
Here's hoping :crylol:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:23 pm Behind the Dolphins? :eh:
A voice from the distant past. How goes biny?
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:36 am A voice from the distant past. How goes biny?
Complicated.

With the NFL, didn't really have time to study up on the draft this year. Generally happy with the direction of the Giants. Really couldn't have gotten much worse.

The Dolphins have always been my second team, so I am not a hater. But that franchise is a mess, on and off the field. The rot starts at the top. The Fish have had the same GM in place since 2016, a journalism major who got into the league through family connections. His only success came with the coach they just fired and who is suing the team (and the league), it is not like he is some sort of personnel wiz. He shopped Tua all over the place and had no takers. Houston refused to take him back in the mooted trade for Deshaun Watson. If Tua is the linchpin of the franchise, that is quite the radical shift from 6 months ago.
blaze.s8n
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by blaze.s8n »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:43 pm Very good draft for my Giants, hopefully now have a GM and head coach in place to run us properly. Jets also had a great draft, maybe things looking up for NY football after a decade of misery!

Really good drafts by both teams. I'm Jets, and it's been a miserable time over the last decade, but I love the GM and hope Saleh can stay for a few years and bring the green part of NY some happiness. I think Giants will come good as well, will be an interesting couple of years to see how it all goes.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

blaze.s8n wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:22 am Really good drafts by both teams. I'm Jets, and it's been a miserable time over the last decade, but I love the GM and hope Saleh can stay for a few years and bring the green part of NY some happiness. I think Giants will come good as well, will be an interesting couple of years to see how it all goes.
Would be great to see the Jets not be so ***** for once. The fans deserve it. How many games have they won in the last 2 years? 5? Must be worse than supporting West Ham!
blaze.s8n
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by blaze.s8n »

Yeah, man. Jets and West Ham... since mid 80s. what a combo. No wonder I'm usually depressed :crossed: I love it, really.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

however, supporting the Oilers and then the Texans is really akin to supporting West Ham.

under Bum we did great things befitting our small team status. fell at the final hurdle a couple of times.

then the Texans. get great wide receivers, shytty qb's finally get a great defensive line who get too old by the time we get a franchise qb.

go to the brilliant Kansas City, go up I think it was 24-0 then lose 51-31 maybe ?

our franchise qb wants a say on who the next boss will be. they say okay then hire someone completely unqualified for the job. qb then wants out. then has 22 women say he sexually assaulted them.

qb has no trade clause so that combined with the lawsuits result in us getting less than market value from the Browns.

:cried:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:08 pm Would be great to see the Jets not be so ***** for once.
Going to have to disagree there, :wink: