The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Morocco Mole »

Fornals > JWP
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

MB wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:49 am I'm now trying to imagine a skinny Payet playing LWB when we don't have the ball...
Well, that would take a more vivid imagination than I have. But, seriously, with Payet, Bowen and Fornals playing in a 3 behind Antonio, or with Lanzini in the 3 and Bowen in the main striker role ------.

I would be excited by that prospect.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

I don't get the hype surrounding Ward-Prowse tbh. Yes, he hits a mean dead ball, very mean in fact. But whenever I've seen him he doesn't contribute massively in other aspects of the game
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 438 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:35 pm Clickbait sites are quoting French media that a bid for Jonathan David is imminent from us.

we’ve been linked before so may be truth in our interest. I’ve never seen him play but his YouTube shows lots of goals as a result of poor defensive work and miscontrols falling favourably for him….anyone seen him play much? £45m quoted, think his YouTube’s make £50m for Watkins look reasonable.
I’ve seen him a lot for country and mostly highlights for club and think he is a very good player but don’t think he’d fit with how we play. He doesn’t play like Antonio, he likes to play close to other players and either get the ball in the box where he is great at making space for himself to shoot or to combine and set up other players. He also likes to drop deep at times and act as a provider. He is a big game player (scoring winner against PSG in an important title decider for Lille and setting up winning goal for Canada against the USA in an important WCQ). Not that they are a like for like comparison but I could see David being as impactful as Chicharito was with West Ham ie being more of a square peg in a round hole. I could see David doing well in the premier league but with a club like Liverpool where the front three play off each other.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Moyes says we will try to sign "a couple of players" according to the Standard.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:10 am Moyes says we will try to sign "a couple of players" according to the Standard.
Have to admit that was a galling quote that sent a chill down my spine when I first read it. :grin:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Ward-Prowse is essentially Noble with a far superior delivery for me

Could he work for us? For sure
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Kermit wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:05 am Penny pinching or not there is nothing wrong with bringing in a player who is out of contract. Real Madrid's acquisition of Rudiger from Chelsea I think illustrates that point perfectly.
100% agree and our owners love a bit of it. This is precisely their market
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

westlondonhammer wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:13 am Ward-Prowse is essentially Noble with a far superior delivery for me

Could he work for us? For sure
Plus, Ward Prowse has the best golf swing of any player I have ever seen
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:10 am Moyes says we will try to sign "a couple of players" according to the Standard.
I know it means absolutely nothing and I am certain that we are in for quite a few players and are aware we must sign a few players.

But I did chuckle at the thought of that quote being literal and us at end of the window with no new players.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:57 am I think people actually underestimate Payet's technical ability.

Look at the free kicks he scored - especially the Palace one. Honestly, it sounds absurd, but there's barely another player in the history of world football who could have scored that.

If Payet's fitness and work ethic had matched his talent, he'd have been up there with the best of his generation. (And never have played for West Ham.)
I always thought it was motivation that's been his problem tbh. That 1st year with us with a world cup looming he was motivated to be a footballer. Never thought fitness and work ethic were a massive issue that year. In his career it feels like he hasn't always been motivated to push himself.

What he has (that all the really top players have) is abilities that gave him time on the ball. Unfortunately for benrahma I don't think that's something that can be taught. Payet on the ball seemed to calm the whole game down, Benny you can almost hear his brain whirring.

Of course it's a pretty unfair comparison almost nobody in world football was up to the level of Payet that first year here.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:26 am Bellamy was a different level of player to Ashton, much higher, such a shame we never had the chance to see either playing to their full potential.
Isn't JWP basically Sebastian Larsson and no more than a boil on the buttocks of Josh 'the new Pele' Brownhill?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Veen reading up on Aguerd and if we sign him it will tell us a lot about how Moyes wants to play

A front foot defender who likes to play a high defensive line... however without much pace. We'd possibly really need to invest in some pace at LB to fill that void and the need for a deep CM is less important as the gaps between the lines will be less needing to be plugged on a regular basis.

So a higher investment in a quick LB and CM being more of a rotation player than a 40 game a season starter. Then back to focus on AM with Fornals and Lanzini competing for that slot.

So with Aguerd, Brownhill at under 25 million makes more sense. Lewis-Potter and Lingard make more sense (rather than just 1)...
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I fear that Josh Brownhill has become the butt of the joke to the extent that when we do sign him everyone will be livid and talking about how awful he is.

He is a fairly decent player and would be a huge improvement as a rotation option than what we currently have in Kral.

And honestly, after Dawson I'd trust Moyes' judgement on any British player from an unfancied team.

(Plus, everyone knows Josh Brownhill is the best English midfielder in the league after Rice, he's even better than Tielemans.)
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I like the look to Aguerd
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Moyes quote begs a few questions;

1. If we are buying just a couple, it mirrors last year so presumably they are both £30m (+?) players. Who? Which positions?

2. We topped up with two loans last year. Same again?

3. Contract renewals/options more widespread than expected?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:30 am I fear that Josh Brownhill has become the butt of the joke to the extent that when we do sign him everyone will be livid and talking about how awful he is.

He is a fairly decent player and would be a huge improvement as a rotation option than what we currently have in Kral.

And honestly, after Dawson I'd trust Moyes' judgement on any British player from an unfancied team.

(Plus, everyone knows Josh Brownhill is the best English midfielder in the league after Rice, he's even better than Tielemans.)
So, Brownhill on a loan to buy on deadline day with a fixed fee of £2m if he actually plays and we sign Zouma asap afterwards.

That was Moyes' judgement.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the case. I’m nigh on pretty certain we’re gonna be left short one way or another come the the end of the window.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

It surely is just his strategy to say we’re looking for a couple. He knows more is needed than that. He’s talked about a changing of the guard and so forth in the past.

Can’t count anything out with this club as you only have to look at our last few windows to find similar quotes.

All we need now is S-H to tell us he’s leaving!
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:30 am I fear that Josh Brownhill has become the butt of the joke to the extent that when we do sign him everyone will be livid and talking about how awful he is.

Ha, must admit, I've actually seen very little of Brownhill but I suspect he'd be a useful squad addition. I think the joke has largely blown up from Peach's enthusiastic harping of said player rather than people thinking he's useless.