The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by ironilunga »

I generally like the policy of buying young players that can grow with the club and have their best years ahead of them. However, every so often I think a Fergie special can add something - a player that is in the autumn of their career but who oozes class (Sheringham).

My leftfield suggestion of the month is us putting our hat in the ring for Gareth Bale….

At 32 years old Gareth certainly is no spring chicken. However, over the past few years he has played next to no games. A Summer getting fit with Moyes team and you have a player that could slot in on the left side and perhaps share the role with Lewis-Potter.

Dream team:

…………………………...Areola………………………………….

Coufal……Zouma……Ogbonna/New CB……New LB

……………….Rice……………….Phillips/Soucek………..

Bowen………………….Lingard………………….…..….Bale

…………………………New Striker…………………………..
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

I would say of all the keepers in the league, Pope is the one who most frequently makes me go ‘woah, how’d he keep that out’. Not sure that metric is measured on FBref though.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I've long had faith in Pope.
Misko
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1385 likes

Post by Misko »

Aceface wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 am I would say of all the keepers in the league, Pope is the one who most frequently makes me go ‘woah, how’d he keep that out’. Not sure that metric is measured on FBref though.
So Pope works miracles on a regular basis? He really is good at his job.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

L'Equipe were saying that Areola's option is a little over ten million euros, not ten million pounds and there was talk elsewhere of PSG paying a balancing payment for the remaining year of his contract, so effectively a wage subsidy for the contract already signed with them but the inference is that he will move to a West Ham pay structure.

Make no bones about it, he was outstanding at Fulham. He's played for us in a non-PL environment though he was excellent at Old Trafford in his league appearance.

Once he's done, I'd imagine that Lingard will follow soon after. Any time from Monday onwards.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Colours never run wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:19 am I've long had faith in Pope.
Can he save us more points than Areola? I’m not sure vatican.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I thought all the lingard talk had gone quiet

Getting both of those done early would be a very good start
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The only thing I am pretty certain about is that Moyes likes a small squad with minimal changes, thus keeping the spirit and harmony high.

Given that, regardless of what 'you' want, can anyone really see 6 -9 'new' faces this year??

That is why I can see Areola and Lingard coming in. Minimal change and known products. That would allow 2-3 quality additions, maybe 4 at a push. I wouldnt be surprised to see us break our transfer record this summer either.

2 up front, 1 x CH and 1 x Midfield. I think, he will stick with his full backs.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I really don’t see him sticking with cresswell IMO

if areola and lingard come in

LB, CB and striker for decent money and a cm for rotation

Others will depend on outgoings
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Bottom line is no one even knows if Pope is available this summer.

There are times when spending an extra £20m to get the best keeper you possibly can makes sense but that’s not where we’re at this summer. That money is needed elsewhere.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5669 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:52 am Mostly about quality, but it also HAS to be about quantity too, if we are to sustain a decent challenge on most fronts. Last season, like so many proved that
The squad has to be beefed up more to cope and we were 1 or 2 short last season, Striker being 1 of them.
I disagree as players not up to Moyes' standard won't get picked. We are better off with a top notch 18 than a top notch 14 with 6 more half decent players who he barely uses. That is how Moyes likes to work so it is quality then quality and then quality.

I'm not saying it is the right approach, I'm saying it is Moyes' approach.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Romfordboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:43 am I really don’t see him sticking with cresswell IMO
This could have been posted at any time since around 2017. Still expecting to start the season with Masuaku and Cresswell as our options before picking up someone on loan on the final day.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5669 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Aceface wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:44 am Bottom line is no one even knows if Pope is available this summer.

There are times when spending an extra £20m to get the best keeper you possibly can makes sense but that’s not where we’re at this summer. That money is needed elsewhere.
It would also be one more change in a close knit group where there is already going to have to be quite a lot of change.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Romfordboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:38 am I thought all the lingard talk had gone quiet

Getting both of those done early would be a very good start
I'm guessing that will happen.

I did see something a couple of days ago where somewhere was other was pretty adamant he was coming to us.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Can someone give me an ironclad answer as to when the actual earliest date is that Jesse Lingard could sign for us?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

MB wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:45 am I disagree as players not up to Moyes' standard won't get picked. We are better off with a top notch 18 than a top notch 14 with 6 more half decent players who he barely uses. That is how Moyes likes to work so it is quality then quality and then quality.

I'm not saying it is the right approach, I'm saying it is Moyes' approach.
And for me, it's not quite the right approach. The best example of this was the January window (we actually knew it back in the summer not doing it also) when we decided to Only go after a high end quality Striker (Diaz who went to Liverpool being the high profile one which was highly optimistic), yet didn't fall back on a half decent temporary Striker to get in should that fail. Ee didn't need a world beater, but a half decent body up top was still very necessary and we chose to only go for high end quality. That's great when it comes off but it did predictably leave us short of a much needed Striker up top and the squad depth short because of it. An argument at the time could also be made about the defence dropping like flies. Sometimes quantity is required, although not excessively mind.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:22 am L'Equipe were saying that Areola's option is a little over ten million euros, not ten million pounds and there was talk elsewhere of PSG paying a balancing payment for the remaining year of his contract, so effectively a wage subsidy for the contract already signed with them but the inference is that he will move to a West Ham pay structure.

Make no bones about it, he was outstanding at Fulham. He's played for us in a non-PL environment though he was excellent at Old Trafford in his league appearance.

Once he's done, I'd imagine that Lingard will follow soon after. Any time from Monday onwards.
I would sign Areola your bang on with above.

Don’t think Lingard will sign I expect Newcastle or Ac Milan. We wont pay 125k+ a week
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

paulhs1 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:59 am I would hazard a guess that on the first day of the 2022/23 season only one new player starts and that's probably Lingard if he signs, we need 1 more alongside that being probably a left back starter. Anything above that elevates us so were in agreement, but i'm saying we need at least two.

From last season only 1 player came in that was a first team starter (Zouma), and we've basically stood still.
That’s what I mean, we stood still. With Newcastle & probably Villa spending well only 1 starter would be majorly disappointing. Hopefully Areola is gonna be number 1, Centre back, Left Back & Forward would be the starters for me.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I’ve come back to this thread to see us potentially signing Gareth Bale.

Think I’ll leave it again for a few weeks…
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I see we mentioned Bassey enough on the thread to get it into the hammerman11 programming, good work everyone.

As has been said, Areola - at the agreed fee and with the reported wage subsidy - is a no brainer. Good goalkeeper, hasn't let us down when called into action, and embedded in the squad.

I think we might hear about a free transfer between the end of the season and the start of July, but who I don't know. I think we've moved on from Lingard and won't pursue his signing, and I wouldn't be completely surprised if we've had a no from Tarkowski. But I still have a feeling we'll nab at least one 'free' transfer early doors.

This will seem like I'm pulling a name out of my arse just for a fun discussion, but would anybody have an interest in us signing Kortney Hause off of Villa? Left sided, whenever I've seen him play he's seemed strong in the air and on the ground. Not glamorous, but PL experienced and relatively young (26). I could see Moyes being interested if a deal was possible for him.