The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Aztec Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:00 am I see we mentioned Bassey enough on the thread to get it into the hammerman11 programming, good work everyone.

As has been said, Areola - at the agreed fee and with the reported wage subsidy - is a no brainer. Good goalkeeper, hasn't let us down when called into action, and embedded in the squad.

I think we might hear about a free transfer between the end of the season and the start of July, but who I don't know. I think we've moved on from Lingard and won't pursue his signing, and I wouldn't be completely surprised if we've had a no from Tarkowski. But I still have a feeling we'll nab at least one 'free' transfer early doors.

This will seem like I'm pulling a name out of my arse just for a fun discussion, but would anybody have an interest in us signing Kortney Hause off of Villa? Left sided, whenever I've seen him play he's seemed strong in the air and on the ground. Not glamorous, but PL experienced and relatively young (26). I could see Moyes being interested if a deal was possible for him.
Tarkowski is apparently chasing the Newcastle money. And for what it's worth, talksport today are suggesting Lingard is most likely coming to us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:52 am Can someone give me an ironclad answer as to when the actual earliest date is that Jesse Lingard could sign for us?
Depends on what you mean. :grin:

There are formal registration dates and contract expiry dates, and then there are announcements that someone will be joining.

Coutinho and Rudiger are already 'announced' yet not moved.

I think most player contracts run to 30 June. So, formally - I'd guess 1 July. Informally, any time they feel like announcing it. Get the season completed then there will be all the announcements about renewals, releases etc.

I haven't seen anything about Fredericks of any kind - stay, go - nothing. Just assumptions he'll leave.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I'd like us to sign Calvin Bassey if only because he's from the same area as me.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:03 am Depends on what you mean. :grin:

There are formal registration dates and contract expiry dates, and then there are announcements that someone will be joining.

Coutinho and Rudiger are already 'announced' yet not moved.

I think most player contracts run to 30 June. So, formally - I'd guess 1 July. Informally, any time they feel like announcing it. Get the season completed then there will be all the announcements about renewals, releases etc.

I haven't seen anything about Fredericks of any kind - stay, go - nothing. Just assumptions he'll leave.
Thanks!

My old Championship Manager experience had me thinking we could have signed him six months ago!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:06 am
We know what Sullivan’s preference is here.
EastleighHammer16

I mean, if we can loan him again (and the option to buy still exists at that price next summer) surely it makes more sense to loan for next season and save the budget for other players we need this summer?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 am I mean, if we can loan him again (and the option to buy still exists at that price next summer) surely it makes more sense to loan for next season and save the budget for other players we need this summer?
What about the players we’ll need next summer?
EastleighHammer16

Billydinho wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:16 am What about the players we’ll need next summer?
I'd like to think we won't need to sign AS many players next summer as we do this summer.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 am I mean, if we can loan him again (and the option to buy still exists at that price next summer) surely it makes more sense to loan for next season and save the budget for other players we need this summer?
But if you know you want him to be your number 1 giving him certainty about his future and publicly putting your faith in him has a value. It’s not like we pay it all this summer either and if we don’t a loan fee is probably due so may not make that much difference.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

klopp has said origi will leave liverpool this summer. do we want him?
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

kitthehammer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:33 am klopp has said origi will leave liverpool this summer. do we want him?
He's agreed personal terms with AC Milan
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:40 am The only thing I am pretty certain about is that Moyes likes a small squad with minimal changes, thus keeping the spirit and harmony high.

Given that, regardless of what 'you' want, can anyone really see 6 -9 'new' faces this year??

That is why I can see Areola and Lingard coming in. Minimal change and known products. That would allow 2-3 quality additions, maybe 4 at a push. I wouldnt be surprised to see us break our transfer record this summer either.

2 up front, 1 x CH and 1 x Midfield. I think, he will stick with his full backs.
Got to disagree here Diogenes. We are absolutely desperate for a decent left back, we need an upgrade in that position if we harbour any intentions of progressing.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

kitthehammer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:33 am klopp has said origi will leave liverpool this summer. do we want him?
He's going to Milan.

I think he would have been really good here.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

smuts wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:40 am He's going to Milan.

I can never make my mind up about him. If he came as back up / an option I’d be delighted. If he came as new number 1 first choice I’d be concerned. Either way, the ship has sailed.

I’d personally be delighted with Watkins who brings a lot of the same skill set as Mic and I think can be developed further.

My top choice would have been Richarlison but no chance of that now (and in fairness probably a pretty low chance even if Everton did drop).

I would like whoever we get to have proven EPL experience as it’s such an important role I don’t think we can afford a gamble. If that means paying £10m over the odds I think it’s worth it.
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1221 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:02 am Tarkowski is apparently chasing the Newcastle money. And for what it's worth, talksport today are suggesting Lingard is most likely coming to us.
Talkshite! So Lingard is going to Brighton then :lol:
yakandyeti
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:52 am Can someone give me an ironclad answer as to when the actual earliest date is that Jesse Lingard could sign for us?
You can agree a deal with a soon-to-be out-of-contract player in a different country in the final 6 months of their deal. If it's the same country then it's one month. So officially we can't start talking to Lingard until 1st June, but agents will have been talking for months and he can sign a contract anytime from then onwards.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Billydinho wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:56 am I’ve come back to this thread to see us potentially signing Gareth Bale.

Think I’ll leave it again for a few weeks…
That’s nothing, someone earnestly asked if it was too late to generate an extra £1m for the kitty by transferring Noble out of the club. Still laugh every time I think about it. Even Sullivan has his limits.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Areola is the definition of 'no-brainer'. The guy has played almost 20 games this season, and has played a major role in our cup-progress this year. Lest we forget seasons where we exited both cups after a single game each. He has also just been announced as included as being in the French squad for the NL games. If we have first refusal on the guy, I say sort it immediately. We have benefited from having two top keepers, and it has been undoubtedly one of the key aspects of our progress this term, especially when for years we have had phoney wars between a number of average keepers, or an obvious Number 1, with genuine concerns about the need to employ Number 2 in battle.

Also, I see Lingard as a no-brainer. There is the risk that lightning won't strike twice, and his impact won't be the same. But this is a position that we ought to fill, and as a free transfer, his wages will be something that can be adjusted to encourage him to join.

Yes, neither will be shiny 'new signings', per se, but we know what they have the potential to bring, and both have settled and performed well in West Ham shirts.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5675 likes
Total likes: 3092 likes

Post by MB »

smuts wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:40 am He's going to Milan.

He is and I don't.

Liverpool supporting mate loves him to death for "those goals" but said having to watch him was x10 more frustrating than watching Carroll for them.

His assessment was we'd feel the same even for "free"