The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Peaches »

I think Dennis is more like Antonio than Bowen. A bit of an Antonio light. He is very strong and very good in the air for not being very tall. While not as physical as Antonio, Dennis is better on the ball and a more composed natural finisher. I can see Moyes trying to use him in the Antonio role. While not the most exciting signing, there are benefits to signing him. He would not cost an obscene amount in wages and transfer fee which would allow us to strengthen the whole squad, and improve our depth, and maybe suing two strikers. Dennis and Hlozek for a combined 37M and the same or less wages than Calvert Lewin or Raphina might actually be a better investment when we have 55 to 60 matches to play and 5 subs next season.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

he operates more on the right correct ?

shows on transfermarkt as a CF. but at 5'9 according to both them and Wiki I don't see him as our CF.

can operate on either flank it also says.

so would he really be a replacement for Bowen and Bowen moves to CF ? saving 50M maybe.

also gives current value at 8M Euros but I don't see us getting him for that.

that would perhaps put and end to the KLP kid as I can't see us getting in TWO wingers unless someone is on the move. haven't seen loads of their games being honest, he looks decent but nothing that I would be jumping up and down at. did score a belter against us of course, but then again if we signed players who either broke their drought or scored belters against us, we'd porbably have about 50 players on our books...
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Two cracking deliveries from Bassey so far in this first half. Great recovery skills too. Looks a bit unsure positionally though.
BusterKnutt
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by BusterKnutt »

D C wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:14 pm How can you say that Lanzini doesn’t fit Moyes’ system when Moyes himself has started him in just about every big game possible?
I feel it's because he hasn't got strong enough choices to play anyone else. If Lingard was here, he would have replaced Manu instantly, instead we got Vlasic who I reckon was meant to slot in but Moyes doesn't fancy him anymore.

Again, he's not terrible and does a job to an acceptable standard, but for me he's one of the easier members of the team to upgrade/replace. I think he will stick around this year, but he won't be a starter and I'd have Fornals ahead of him in MF/AM and Benrahma ahead of him in AM too.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:38 pm Dennis would be a decent option from the bench. Last week we had no one to bring on that could make a difference.
I see him as a yarmo replacement. Still need that main striker .
Toney , broja or nunez please. Not Watkins.

LB is needed so much as improves defence and midfield. Could free up fornals a bit.
Why not Watkins? Toney would cost the same amount of money.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I see Buster's point.

trouble is we need upgrading in so many places I'd keep Lanzini, get in a good defensive LB and LCB (I know, not exactly earth shattering news) and move Fornals into Lanzini's place. he'd give us much more in progressive passes I reckon and is good defensively. unless we're seriously looking at another DM/CM type in which case I'd break the bank for Jude Bellingham or at least test the waters. I know they've said they're keeping him for another year due to The Beast leaving and they usually only let one big money signing go per year.

much better than Kalvin Phillips and a lot younger with more upside. more a Rice/Soucek hybrid.

sadly he's destined for someone at the VERY top.

but as Pinky once said about Tomas Partey "you don't ask, you don't get..."
BusterKnutt
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by BusterKnutt »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:03 pm I see Buster's point.

trouble is we need upgrading in so many places I'd keep Lanzini, get in a good defensive LB and LCB (I know, not exactly earth shattering news) and move Fornals into Lanzini's place. he'd give us much more in progressive passes I reckon and is good defensively. unless we're seriously looking at another DM/CM type in which case I'd break the bank for Jude Bellingham or at least test the waters. I know they've said they're keeping him for another year due to The Beast leaving and they usually only let one big money signing go per year.

much better than Kalvin Phillips and a lot younger with more upside. more a Rice/Soucek hybrid.

sadly he's destined for someone at the VERY top.

but as Pinky once said about Tomas Partey "you don't ask, you don't get..."
I would say that he certainly wouldn't be my first 'out', but some are already going and yes, of course other positions are more of a priority.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Dennis feels like a bit of a moneyball signing (his stats and ticking many of Moyes boxes), which I'm certainly not against

Compared to a 60 million DCL, a 40 million Toney or a 50 million Watkins...he is a bargain given his return this season.

We can essentially get him and the Hull kid for a Toney... or them both and a Bassey for DCL.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I’m not saying that Lanzini is a world beater or anything but he’s not flash and doesn’t rack up G/A stats so a lot of the good work he does goes unnoticed. We keep lossession and circulate the ball more with him in the team and I think he’s more switched on tactically than most

I would be quite happy for a new starter on the left with Fornals playing behind the striker though! I also don’t think Lanzini should be starting certain games
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Toney is a cart horse. He would not fit in here and we’d hate him.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I really don’t see Moyes being happy after spending the last few transfer windows waiting and identifying the perfect striker for his system rocking up and seeing Dennis and Hlozek.

In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he jacked it in
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

BusterKnutt wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:08 pm I would say that he certainly wouldn't be my first 'out', but some are already going and yes, of course other positions are more of a priority.
I'd agree, keep him for another year. I'm just a bit amazed that Moyes didn't use Noble more as he's more used to playing deep where we used Lanzini instead. or at least brough Noble on for Lanzini as | don't think lately he's brought an awful lot more to the table.

maybe it's because of the opposition lately and our "must win" scenarios but maybe we would have held on to more leads or at least not lost games.

more organization maybe ?

goals against Arsenal from Saka I think and the Grealish one were almost identical goals. failure to move the 2nd ball or close down the opposition on the edge of the box after a set piece. other games spring to mind too.

and the Arsenal game where Lanzini was marking the CB and lost the other CB from another failure to clear a set piece.

bit off topic I know, but we could use a Lanzini upgrade or as suggested, move Fornals as we need a LB anyway. Benni wouldn't need to play so deep either which maybe means we could push up the field a bit more.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Lanzini is in the tier of players that would really signal we are continuing to push on if they were a sub.

Lanzini
Cresswell
Dawson
Soucek (arguable)
Antonio (arguable)

If you replace these players with improvements in the first eleven, all of a sudden you have a high number of very capable rotation/substitute options who can compete to start.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Romfordboy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:22 pm I really don’t see Moyes being happy after spending the last few transfer windows waiting and identifying the perfect striker for his system rocking up and seeing Dennis and Hlozek.

In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he jacked it in
Pardon?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

funky chicken wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:34 pm I don’t really know how I feel with regards to Dennis.

His numbers this season is certainly good. His goals and assists combined are as good as Antonio’s and Bowen’s, there’s no question about that. Although he’s very similar to Benrahma in terms of the goals he’s contributed to tend to feature in a group of consecutive games, instead of being across the season.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/32981 ... uel-Dennis

This is the only season he has contributed to a decent amount of goals in a league of good standard. So the risk is whether he is a one season wonder. There’s questions hanging over what his strongest position is, and also his discipline, if stories from previous seasons are anything to go by.

On the flip side, he scored against Man Utd and twice against Real Madrid before he even moved to the Premier League. He’s even scored against some of the top teams this season too. So we know he is capable of delivering against the best teams. He’s also still fairly young (24 years old), which means there’s still arguably room for improvement. He’s not reached his peak age yet. And who’s to say he may contribute to more goals surrounded by better players than what he is currently playing alongside with at Watford?

If this is a Moyes choice then I more than trust his judgement. But I’d be lying if I said I believed that was the case.
Going by what Moyes thinks he needs I reckon this is a great under the radar acquisition. The sort Manchester United miss out on because they need NAMES.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

funky chicken wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:34 pm I don’t really know how I feel with regards to Dennis.

His numbers this season is certainly good. His goals and assists combined are as good as Antonio’s and Bowen’s, there’s no question about that. Although he’s very similar to Benrahma in terms of the goals he’s contributed to tend to feature in a group of consecutive games, instead of being across the season.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/32981 ... uel-Dennis

This is the only season he has contributed to a decent amount of goals in a league of good standard. So the risk is whether he is a one season wonder. There’s questions hanging over what his strongest position is, and also his discipline, if stories from previous seasons are anything to go by.
I don’t think that’s the case. He did well for Brugge and has scored goals in the Champions League (including a double against Real Madrid). The Belgian League has been a good breeding ground for top players.

I remember years ago seeing Kompany playing for a Belgian team and thinking how great he was. Then you have guys like Trossard and Hazard.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

If we sign Dennis alongside a striker then I’m happy. If he’s our striker, then that’s majorly underwhelming.
Last edited by BigFatSam on Sat May 21, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenerife07
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Tenerife07 »

If Dennis is to replace the departing Yarmolenko and perhaps Vlasic this looks like smart business.

If it’s instead of Lewis Potter or Watkins/Broja this is a little underwhelming.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Ismaila Sarr is still the one to buy from Watford for me