Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by taust68 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:00 am Ok , no more , I'm done .
You keep blaming the yanks for everything I'd hate to think what wou happen if Russia or China was more powerful than the usa, militarily
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon May 23, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I can’t be arsed to pull the rest of it apart but given there is an almost infinite supply of cheap labour available to America in the world, you cannot be serious about America ploughing billions in aid and weapons into Ukraine to access this small slice of it?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There's a story in today's 'Sun' of how a British dad, from Yorkshire, took in a very attractive 23 Yr old Ukrainian refugee bird and he has dumped his wide and kid to go off with her. It was obviously Lviv at first sight and she claims, no sooner than she saw him, she fancied him and that could see how unhappy he was and he claims, it is a simple desire to do the right thing.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:25 pm There's a story in today's 'Sun' of how a British dad, from Yorkshire, took in a very attractive 23 Yr old Ukrainian refugee bird and he has dumped his wide and kid to go off with her. It was obviously Lviv at first sight and she claims, no sooner than she saw him, she fancied him and that could see how unhappy he was and he claims, it is a simple desire to do the right thing.
Bit of a clue there perhaps PD :grin:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

:crylol:

EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Gutted that TOMOS has self-banned from this thread, it prevents me from repeatedly deploying this quality meme.

MB

Post by MB »

Good to see the Russians priorities are right in recently captured territory...

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Anyone seen Vlad the Mad recently?
MB

Post by MB »

So looks like Russia may have defaulted on payments for two lots of bonds, but very little detail out there.

In terms of the war, seems to have become the slow grinding mess that was predicted when the focus shifted to the East.

Russia pounding the crap out of everything and having some small local success.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Strange that they'd have to bomb the civilian population into submission. I thought that they couldn't wait to be Russian.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

At the start of this war I read people saying we couldn't / shouldn't get directly involved because Britain and its people would become a target. Now we have seen that the Russian army is pretty **** can't we go in and help Ukraine properly?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

macron says "Don't humiliate Russia"
Ukraine's foreign minister has hit out at French President Emmanuel Macron after he said it was vital that Russia was not humiliated over its invasion.

Mr Macron said it was crucial President Vladimir Putin had a way out of what he called a "fundamental error".

But Dmytro Kuleba said allies should "better focus on how to put Russia in its place" as it "humiliates itself".

Mr Macron has repeatedly spoken to Mr Putin by phone in an effort to broker a ceasefire and negotiations.

The French attempts to maintain a dialogue with the Kremlin leader contrast with the US and UK positions.

Foreign minister Kuleba said in a tweet that "calls to avoid humiliation of Russia can only humiliate France and every other country that would call for it".

more...
Nothing like hedging your bets, just in case.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Russia has humiliated itself.......
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Macron has spent over 100 hours negotiating with Putin. The result has been Russia doing exactly what it wants.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

As per usual, I speak with a few yanks. And they are moaning that they are paying more for fuel and hate Biden for sending billions to Ukraine. It's not their war according to them and want the money spent on them. They don't even know we are celebrating the Queen this week. I thought North Korea was isolated
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Macron says that he has these talks with Putin because Zelensky wanted him to. Yet whatever the aim of these talks, on the face of it, it doesn’t look like they’re borne fruit as Putin has carried on fighting in his WW2 way.

The undercurrent from Macron seems to be that it will be better for the west and Russia if a situation can be maintained whereby it will be easier for Russia’s relationship with us to return to something like it was if Macron keeps up this dialect.

To me it looks like Putin is using Macron. Keeping up this veneer of western links/ giving Macron the hope that he wants to talk. Personally as long as Putin believes he can win this I think Macron has got this parlay with Putin horribly wrong. If however Macron is doing this in the belief that Russia can’t win but the west needs to have an established contact with Putin if Putin comes to understand he can’t win and needs a as-face-saving-as-it-can-be withdrawal strategy then I can understand why Macron is doing what he’s doing. He would be that conduit.

A part of me wants Russia humiliated, put back in its box and made to understand they can’t contemplate such actions again. But what incentive would that give a weakened, undermined, more at threat Putin to end his war? Better for him a grinding, stalemate that can be sold at home as a victory or March to eventual victory.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:51 am As per usual, I speak with a few yanks. And they are moaning that they are paying more for fuel and hate Biden for sending billions to Ukraine. It's not their war according to them and want the money spent on them. They don't even know we are celebrating the Queen this week. I thought North Korea was isolated
Not the Yanks war? Then perhaps they could stop interfering with the rest of the World by trying to push American influence wherever and whenever they see fit.

Wish America would just stick to shooting it's own citizens rather than sticking their noses elsewhere.

Yanks. :thumbdn:
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 am Not the Yanks war? Then perhaps they could stop interfering with the rest of the World by trying to push American influence wherever and whenever they see fit.

Wish America would just stick to shooting it's own citizens rather than sticking their noses elsewhere.

Yanks. :thumbdn:
If only December1941 hadn't happened..........
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

:bump:
'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:51 am As per usual, I speak with a few yanks. And they are moaning that they are paying more for fuel and hate Biden for sending billions to Ukraine. It's not their war according to them and want the money spent on them. They don't even know we are celebrating the Queen this week. I thought North Korea was isolated
No surprises there. Yanks haven't a scooby what is going on in the restof the world. Buy a US newspaper and there us no world news reported anywhere. It is all about the good ol' US of A and the same go's for their TV news too and all their TV advertisements are either cars, or food, a big like ours