The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 992 likes
Total likes: 1166 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:45 am Am I only the only one who watches Calvin Bassey and thinks he's like a naturally left footed Ben Johnson?

Longelo is the same size as those two in the U23's and is pretty impressive going forward, but question marks on his defending still? Wouldn't be surprised to see Forest come in for him if they get promoted.
Nope, not the only one Bubbs - I agree. Think those two look rock solid in defence but with some development in terms of going forward (distribution rather than carrying ability). I think both give Moyes the option for a ‘defensive’ full back in certain games as well as looking like they can both play as CB’s in a three.

Re: Longelo, I’ve seen reports about us being open to selling him an Alese (Forest for Longelo, Cardiff for Alese). Both reports mentioned we’re more open to perm than loans. Personally thought both looked pretty good and would prefer them being loaned out to see if they do come good (like the Chelsea model).
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Signing a Left Back who can defend, as well as get up and down the pitch, probably affords us the luxury of keeping Ogbonna.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:45 am Am I only the only one who watches Calvin Bassey and thinks he's like a naturally left footed Ben Johnson?

Longelo is the same size as those two in the U23's and is pretty impressive going forward, but question marks on his defending still? Wouldn't be surprised to see Forest come in for him if they get promoted.
Looks to be a bit quicker than Johnson I think and also has a decent cross on him. Good thing about Bassey is that he's young enough to be molded in to either a very good centre back or left back by Moyes as he clearly has the potential for both.
hammer1975
Has liked: 992 likes
Total likes: 1166 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

S-H wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 am Signing a Left Back who can defend, as well as get up and down the pitch, probably affords us the luxury of keeping Ogbonna.
Agree with that S-H.

I also think there is some debate about how many CB’s - given Ogbonna age and return from a big injury (as well as Zouma’s knocks). If we sell Diop to bring in Aguerd and sign someone like Bassey then we have Zouma and Dawson for RCB, Ogbonna and Aguerd for LCB with Bassey/other as back-up. We’d also then have six options for three at the back (including Johnson). Feels a good place to be.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 am Nope, not the only one Bubbs - I agree. Think those two look rock solid in defence but with some development in terms of going forward (distribution rather than carrying ability). I think both give Moyes the option for a ‘defensive’ full back in certain games as well as looking like they can both play as CB’s in a three
Agree

I don't mind defensively focused full backs at all... it takes less pressure off the midfield and gives them a bit more freedom to get forward

It may be a bit more oldschool but as long as you adapt accordingly it doesn't have to limit you

Given how many we let in it might actually be what we need
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5680 likes
Total likes: 3097 likes

Post by MB »

westlondonhammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:09 am Agree

I don't mind defensively focused full backs at all... it takes less pressure off the midfield and gives them a bit more freedom to get forward

It may be a bit more oldschool but as long as you adapt accordingly it doesn't have to limit you

Given how many we let in it might actually be what we need
Agreed. You also don't need your fullbacks to be getting direct assists as long as they are good enough to progress with the ball.

I think too much is made of Johnson's crossing for example.

Recovery speed is also key.

The key as you say is adapting what is in front of them.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Longelo on loan to Forest with a hefty fee if they stay up could be a shrewd bit of business. Likely to play wing backs again which, if they carry on this year's momentum, might end up with him looking good and hiding some of his weaknesses defensively.
westlondonhammer

hammer1975 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:57 am Agree with that S-H.

I also think there is some debate about how many CB’s - given Ogbonna age and return from a big injury (as well as Zouma’s knocks). If we sell Diop to bring in Aguerd and sign someone like Bassey then we have Zouma and Dawson for RCB, Ogbonna and Aguerd for LCB with Bassey/other as back-up. We’d also then have six options for three at the back (including Johnson). Feels a good place to be.
I believe CB is an area we may see the biggest overhaul...it lacks balance

Irrespective of anyone going i can see Aguerd coming... he fits the mould of us playing a higher line

If rumours are believed there are teams after Diop... i think Moyes has lost a little patience with him so will happily cash in
I also believe the grumblings that Dawson may be looking to move back up further north. As much as we've relied on him more than we should these last 2 seasons he always knows he is 3rd or 4th choice. Plus him playing forces us to change shape a bit too much so he isnt completely exposed

I'd not be surprised to see both go and Milenkovic rock up

Ogbonna, Aguerd, Bassey (to shift inside if needed)
Zouma, Milenkovic, Johnson (to shift inside if needed)
Cresswell, Bassey, Longelo or the Derby kid
Coufal, Johnson, Ashby

Fredericks, Dawson, Diop, Masuaku out

Really feels like we're more balanced and no need to deastically shift tactics to adapt
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

lmb oneday wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:35 am now is the time for Rob Newman to earn his money (after doing nothing in the winter window),
A link to his diary (Nov-Jan), please?
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:57 am I also think there is some debate about how many CB’s - given Ogbonna age and return from a big injury (as well as Zouma’s knocks). If we sell Diop to bring in Aguerd and sign someone like Bassey then we have Zouma and Dawson for RCB, Ogbonna and Aguerd for LCB with Bassey/other as back-up. We’d also then have six options for three at the back (including Johnson).
Plus Alese & Baptiste are another year into their development having been around the 1st team squad for a year. I like to think Moyes would trust them to step up if needed.

(That said, I’d be surprised if Baptiste doesn’t get a loan next season)
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Wasn’t it also said that Aguerd has great anticipation, timing and distribution, but if he has a weakness, it’s perhaps his turning ability when being ran at, and so an ideal pairing would be with an athletic left back who is good at recoveries?

If that’s the case, Bassey and Aguerd could compliment each other well. And then you’d also have Aguerd, Zouma and Areola theoretically having very good communication in the middle.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1603 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Ok I've made my mind up.

Lewis-Potter and Scamacca are the two players I want us to sign most.

Scamacca is ridiculously good. He'd improve us no end. As for Lewis-Potter, he is tailor made for our left side.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 4749 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

My fellow Kumbers have persuaded me on Bassey for left back. :pray:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 4749 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I am Legend wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:06 am Ok I've made my mind up.

Lewis-Potter and Scamacca are the two players I want us to sign most.

Scamacca is ridiculously good. He'd improve us no end. As for Lewis-Potter, he is tailor made for our left side.
I've not seen Scamacca play, goal scoring stats are impressive, and despite 0 assists the winger who plays alongside him also has a great goal return.

What sort of player is he?
The Straw
Has liked: 595 likes
Total likes: 1433 likes

Post by The Straw »

Keep reading loads of little comments about Rob Newman. Almost read like little digs, like people want him to fail so they can say I told you so.

He's building a complete scouting network from the ground up. He's not just a scout who is going to whisper some magical names in Moyes ear from the off. He's totally revamping everything. A good friend of mine interviewed for a scouting position with him recently and said that he's a very impressive bloke. He needs a bit of time to get the system in place and up and running properly.
Rust
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:07 am My fellow Kumbers have persuaded me on Bassey for left back. :pray:
The fact he can play Left Back and Centre Back make this signing a no brainer, if we can get it over the line.
Believer
Has liked: 1435 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Believer »

The Straw wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:11 am

He's building a complete scouting network from the ground up. He's not just a scout who is going to whisper some magical names in Moyes ear from the off. He's totally revamping everything. A good friend of mine interviewed for a scouting position with him recently and said that he's a very impressive bloke. He needs a bit of time to get the system in place and up and running properly.
Good to hear. I’m sure all will become clear in due course but rumours regarding potential signings from the PL can lead people to question his role however, if what you’re saying is in progress, this does really bode well for the future..
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3056 likes
Total likes: 2696 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:27 am We have 5 possibly 6 leaving so with only 4 or 5 in, we will probably start next season with less than this one?
So you want plus/minus ten new players in?
westlondonhammer

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:04 am Wasn’t it also said that Aguerd has great anticipation, timing and distribution, but if he has a weakness, it’s perhaps his turning ability when being ran at, and so an ideal pairing would be with an athletic left back who is good at recoveries?

If that’s the case, Bassey and Aguerd could compliment each other well. And then you’d also have Aguerd, Zouma and Areola theoretically having very good communication in the middle.
Might be useful with the returning Ogbonna too...
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

The Straw wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:11 am Keep reading loads of little comments about Rob Newman. Almost read like little digs, like people want him to fail so they can say I told you so.

Also to need to factor in we are not Man City with there financial power. Not sure how involved he was with signing first team players? Have a feeling it was more u23/youth related.