The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by hammerman11 »

good to see moyes annoyed yesterday and hinting that a lot more needs doing.

areola has to be the starting keeper next season as fab is making errors every game now despite a good pen save against city. yesterday he should have done better with the first and maybe the third. age is catching up . another year as a number 2 will be fine.

LB - is our worst position now where every team targets cresswell. again he needs to start on the bench next season. Lot of talk about basey coming in. he looks good in the EL , cant really judge the scottish pub league though. 15m ?
RB - coufal ,johnson and ashby should see us ok for next season. coufal is not back to his best and will need to be reviewed in january maybe.

LCB - we need to get a decent one in to allow zouma to go back to his better side. aguerd again been talked about for 20m
CB - dawson has been great but can we expect another stellar season from him? oggy is 35 and back from serious injury on a one year deal. diop looks likely to return to france. tarkowski in on a free seems reasonable.
DM - another area with no cover. now leeds are safe philips will stay. kamara on a free looks like going to villa for silly wages. berge at sheff utd may be a cheaper option ?
AM - potter kean seems the most likely at around 20m. lingard on a free also would be needed. vlasic we can sell for a loss at 15m. keep benrahma.
CF - we have one CF who we are flogging to death ! watkins at 50m is too much I feel. toney and nunez mentioned. appears we have started negotiations on dennis from watford for 20m. good signing for the squad but I would like another striker in.

so a busy window ahead for WHU.lets hope its a good one. plenty of players leaving who we wont miss. fees for masuaka5m diop 20m vlasic 15m

time to get the cheque book out west ham.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:01 am How come we keep conceding goals from set-pieces? Especially with the height of our team?
I wonder if Ogbonna not being fit has had something to do with it?

And I don’t think we actually do have a huge amount of height - only Dawson, Zouma, Soucek & Rice are above 6ft, from the team that played yesterday. Soucek hasn’t seemed as formidable in either box this season and Rice isn’t the greatest in the air.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

hopefully moyes will sort the defence out in this window. at least 3 quality defenders needed !
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Moyes made fewer changes to his starting 11 than any other Premier League manager this season.

I see the Spuds and the Gooners aren’t too far behind us.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

funky chicken wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:12 am

I see the Spuds and the Gooners aren’t too far behind us.
I thought this too...then remembered the former were out of Europe in December and the latter wasn't in it at all.
Misko
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

I always was a bit amazed by how Kamara was hyped. Not a bad player at all, but I never saw him perform in big games. He is a dependable DM (trained as a CB initially) but I don't see him reaching the next level. When the game starts to get physical or particulary tense, he is too transparent, imvho. I really think he is more suited to Spanish footbal than to the English one.

Good squad member, but at reported wages, it seems a bit risky.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

That's really interesting when you compare us to the other teams that went deep into European competition. Also suggests Rodgers has really underachieved this season with a very deep squad.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

I think we can forget about Phillips. He might have left Leeds for us if they we’re relegated but now that they’ve stayed up I only think he’d leave them for a truly top/‘big’ team. The current top 4 or maybe 6 only.

I genuinely think he’d be happier battling for 17th-10th for Leeds than he would be pushing for 6th with us.

We do need a superior passer like him in the middle to push on though, other than Ward-Prowse i’m not sure who fits the bill
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:22 am That's really interesting when you compare us to the other teams that went deep into European competition. Also suggests Rodgers has really underachieved this season with a very deep squad.
The perception is that Leicester had a disastrous season and that we had a good one but we were only 4 points ahead of them in the end. And seven ahead of Newcastle. We were probably saved by the bell in securing 7th.
Last edited by Aceface on Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:56 am fredericks (maybe sell)
Fredericks is out of contract, so we're not going to be selling him and he won't be here next season.

I really think that, with the amount of players people are saying we 'need' in, there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks on here come September 1st.

I don't think we'll see any changes in attacking midfield, but I do think we'll sign a striker who can play wide as well (Hlozek or Bayo we have been linked with in the past, I understand Brennan Johnson could also fit this description, I'm not sure if 3 Names from Hull does?) which adds cover in multiple positions in the front four.

We might well sign a LB who can play CB, or a CB who can play LB (the Bassey links, for example, fit with this. Lloyd Kelly could have been an option but presumably now stays at Bournemouth after their promotion) to cover off a pair of needs there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a DM who can play CB come in as well (Kamara could have been that player, but his move to Villa is now confirmed, I'm not sure on an alternative) which covers the support for two positions, primarily a central midfield option though. Probably add Coventry for the first six months of the season, unless he fails to impress in pre-season.

Areola and extending Fabianski's contract deal with GK.

Ogbonna should be given an extension as well, and we hope he can get back on the pitch regularly after his injury.

Four signings that would give us a stronger squad in terms of depth due to their flexibility - they would all likely be starting regularly in one of those positions, pushing the players that currently sit in the first team to the bench.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Some people I know seem to think Lingard is happening...
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Kamara is an interesting one.

I'd have thought a better team would have been interested, either he impresses and is sold in two years or he crashes and they're lumbered with big wages.

£150k a week, is he better than Rice or Soucek? I guess we'll find out!

Does this mean Douglas Luiz is available?
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Losing Ogbonna in November basically ruined our PL campaign. It was the catalyst for the season coming to a slow decline. For a brief moment with Zouma and Ogbonna, we looked like a top 4 defence, at least the CB position.

We had enough for the EL still thanks to so much effort from the players but its just too much.

If Ogbonna isn't coming back to start 38 games a season, we need to find a better player, that will cost a lot but will effect us all over the pitch.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Aceface wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am The perception is that Leicester had a disastrous season and that we had a good one but we were only 4 points ahead of them in the end. And seven ahead of Newcastle. We were probably saved by the bell in securing 7th.
Our amazing start to the season in the first 3 or so months is what got us 7th. Up until about December, I genuinely felt like we could beat any team in the world. We were playing so well. Then we got injuries to CB’s which seemed to be the start of our downfall and we never consistently recovered.

To be honest, it’s a miracle we managed to finish 7th in the end!
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:10 am hopefully moyes will sort the defence out in this window. at least 3 quality defenders needed !
Considering it’s make up the defence performed very well this season esp after losing Oggi but that should not disguise the reality it did so with little logic to support just quite how it did it and as Moyes himself pointed out the last two games if it gets near to being the norm will lead very quickly to being a bottom half performer. Dawson is perhaps the epitome of the greater problem, a real hero at times solid at the basics, punching above his weight and spreading enthusiasm in so doing but realistically his lack of pace is an accident waiting to happen (has been too regularly) and is a magnet for goals and penalties. The line between being able to ignore that by overall accomplishment and it becoming a very serious drag on performance and team confidence is a very narrow one. Indeed I would say there are a number of players where the line between them being a positive and negative influence on team achievement is worryingly narrow with few options to replace them off the bench. If one too many goes into the negative and let’s be honest Soucek who was such an inspiration for so long isn’t now far off that, then overall team performance will dip alarmingly as confidence and togetherness evaporates. Glad that Moyes judging by his comments yesterday sees that but equally concerned that in part he has helped create the problem where our strengths can far too easily sink into weakness by lack of depth that will be difficult to escape if it takes over. Took a pandemic last time to change momentum. Also a little concerned that as realistic as they were Moyes harsh words might form cracks in that very togetherness that’s led to our over performance the past two seasons. Big Summer, big choices to be made and big support from above needed to immediately restore forward momentum but we start realistically from a lower level than I had hoped and clearly even Moyes expected too.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:48 am Some people I know seem to think Lingard is happening...
I've heard exactly the same thing Stevey
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

by my reckoning we need

GK x1 and thats assuming Trott 'replaces' Randolph
LB x1
CB x2 (one starter and one to cover)
CM x2 (effectively replacing Noble & Kraal)
AM x2 (one for Yarmo and one to add some guile assuming Vaslic goes)
CF x2 (one to start one to cover / back up)

yes it sounds alot but but at least three of those outfield players should have come in during the winter window , (or at least loans to cover)
are any of the U23 good enough to step up ?
Belotti and Lingard would be every decent for us on 'frees' but who knows
when does the window officially open ?
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by ironilunga »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:48 am Some people I know seem to think Lingard is happening...
Mate, I personally think it is no coincidence that on the day there are rumblings that Rice will do another year there are also other rumblings about Lingard.

I reckon Rice has been given assurances around Lingard and other signings and Lingard has been given assurances that Rice will be at the club.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

I am Legend wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am Losing Ogbonna in November basically ruined our PL campaign. It was the catalyst for the season coming to a slow decline. For a brief moment with Zouma and Ogbonna, we looked like a top 4 defence, at least the CB position.

We had enough for the EL still thanks to so much effort from the players but its just too much.

If Ogbonna isn't coming back to start 38 games a season, we need to find a better player, that will cost a lot but will effect us all over the pitch.
Agreed. Being able to set up ten yards further forward helps massively in midfield and attack. It wasn't just the defence that suffered once Ogbonna got injured.

Get the left side of defence sorted out and I do think the rest takes care of itself (to an extent).

Antonio is less isolated, Soucek and Rice can break up play further up the pitch, Benrahma gets the ball in their half rather than ours etc etc.

Setting up as deep as we have at times, while I understand it, exposes some of the weaknesses in our side.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:50 am The moving of the World Cup to Winter makes this Summer’s window incredibly difficult to get players to sign. They won’t want to move just before a major tournament. We should save our money and have a really, really, super dooper window next summer.

West Ham hierarchy, August 2022
Those who wish to play in it will though if the are currently not getting game time.