The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Peaches »

After his reaction yesterday, I think Moyes is going to clean house with very few players safe. Antonio, Bowen, Rice, Zouma, Johnson, Dawson, Soucek and Fornals are pretty much locks to stay. You can probably add Cresswell, and if we can get a contract sorted Areola.
Noble has retired and Kral is all but guaranteed to leave when his loan expires.
Yarmolenko, Fredericks, Ogbonna, Fabianski and Martin are all out of contract. It’s possible none are retained or not offered as much as they may receive elsewhere.
Randolph, Diop, Coufal and Lanzini are all entering the last year of their contracts and may be sold as either they are either not front and centre in Moyes plans or contract extensions not close to being agree ( hence Coufal’s “hopefully “ comment).
Cresswell and Dawson are also out of contract next year, and though likely to stay this year will be 33 when their contracts expire.
Even if we give Ogbonna and Fabianski 1 year extensions that is 11 players who will very likely be gone either this season or next season.
Add in Benrahma, Vlasic and Masuaku who may be sold We are turning over almost a full match day squad.
I would expect Noble, Yarmolenko, Kral, Fredericks, Randolph, Arthur, Diop and one of Lanzini, Benrahma or Vlasic to be gone this summer and a reasonable possibility one of Ogbonna or Fabianski to be offered better terms elsewhere. I am assuming we get a deal for Areola done.
Thai is 9 players from our already small squad departing. I would expect Coventry to replace Kral, and it’s possible Trott replaces Randolph, but we probably need 7 players in addition to Areola just to maintain this year’s squad size.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

funky chicken wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:25 am Nathan Collins at Burley was also at Stoke the same time as a certain Billy McKinlay wasn’t he?
Wrong Collins - that was Danny
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

OUT
RANDOLPH - 250K
MARTIN - RELEASE
NOBLE - RETIRED
FREDERICKS- OUT OF CONTRACT
YARMALENKO- OUT OF CONTRACT
KRAL - END OF LOAN
MASUAKU - 2M
DIOP - 15M
VLASIC - 20M
Can see either Dawson or Ogbonna going.

IN
(FEES REALISTIC NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION)

BROJA - 22M
LACAZETTE - FREE
GALLAGHER- 25M
AEROLA - 11M
MILENKOVIC -25M
TARKOWSKI - FREE
BRENNAN(If Forest dont go up)20M
LEFT BACK

We have to hold on to Bowen and Rice whatever happens.And invest heavily in this window otherwise we going to get left behind.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

15 points dropped at home to teams in the bottom half. Teams that we've proven we're considerably better than over the course of two seasons. Every result would have changed if we'd scored one more/conceded one fewer.

Yes there's a big revamp of the squad to be done over the next two windows but those expecting it all to happen this summer might be leaving themselves sorely disappointed. Could be that the plan for this summer will be to fix the one or two biggest issues and the look for depth from players that could take over from current starters over the next 18 months. The above says to me that we're really not far from being able to pick up the extra 8-10 points that pushes us forward again next season.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

I know it's early days, but already Liverpool and Villa have signed players...hope its not a last day nonsense again and the "we tried" excuses...
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

When I say players being good enough, what it really means is players Moyes trusts. I think it has been very clear this season that he doesn't trust a number of players, and that number of players is too high.

I would like to see him use Benrahma on the right more.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

No idea on the reliability of the source but seen quite a lot of different South American people talking about him joining us.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Will be very interesting to see what happens in the summer and what happens up to January.

Think the darling of the media, Gerrard, is going to be an interesting one...been at Villa for one window already and spent big but still 10 points worst off than last season and 3 places lower.

Can't put all the blame on him but there has to be questions....has left Rangers bankrupted again and has already started to splash the cash at Villa who have a lot of money which suits his management tactics...

And I'm sure if Lamplard is still at Everton he is gonna spend big again although his management credentials aren't very good...both learning from the master of throwing money at it in old 'arry....

Let hope that Moyes is sensible brings in more than is released and is supported by the board.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:34 pm 15 points dropped at home to teams in the bottom half. Teams that we've proven we're considerably better than over the course of two seasons. Every result would have changed if we'd scored one more/conceded one fewer.

Yes there's a big revamp of the squad to be done over the next two windows but those expecting it all to happen this summer might be leaving themselves sorely disappointed. Could be that the plan for this summer will be to fix the one or two biggest issues and the look for depth from players that could take over from current starters over the next 18 months. The above says to me that we're really not far from being able to pick up the extra 8-10 points that pushes us forward again next season.
Our form is almost textbook point gathering for 7th...

Bottom 6 - 12 games, get an average of 2 points a game for a total of 24
Middle 7 - 14 games, get an average of 1.5 points a game for a total of 21
Top 6 - 12 games, get an average of 1 point a game for a total of 12

That gets you to 57, which is usually around about 7th.

Breaking the six has to be an objective next year, as well as winning the ECL.

I tend to agree that some of what we will see arriving will be challengers/competition/cover - but we are crying out for several new starters.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:47 pm Our form is almost textbook point gathering for 7th...

Bottom 6 - 12 games, get an average of 2 points a game for a total of 24
Middle 7 - 14 games, get an average of 1.5 points a game for a total of 21
Top 6 - 12 games, get an average of 1 point a game for a total of 12

That gets you to 57, which is usually around about 7th.

Breaking the six has to be an objective next year, as well as winning the ECL.

I tend to agree that some of what we will see arriving will be challengers/competition/cover - but we are crying out for several new starters.
Broadly agree with you there but I don't think those players coming in all have to be able to start from day 1. As a quite extreme possibility, if we started next season with the below...

Areola
Coufal Zouma Ogbonna NEW LB
Rice Soucek
Bowen Lanzini Fornals
Antonio

...and with 4/5 other new additions on the bench that all had the potential to usurp the man in possession over the course of the season then I think we'd see not only a return to the form of the first half of the season but a good chance of sustaining it into spring as well.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Needs to sort out GK LB LCB CM and CF this window as a bare minimum!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:40 pm When I say players being good enough, what it really means is players Moyes trusts. I think it has been very clear this season that he doesn't trust a number of players, and that number of players is too high.

I would like to see him use Benrahma on the right more.
That is a different thing altogether though

At my work, there are people in my team I don't trust to do certain things, but that is my fault as much as theirs as i expect them to do things the way I want it/ expect it - however, that isn't always the best way and i should be accepting the skills the have and the fresh view they bring to the table

All managers have to work with players that may not meet up to their exact standards or requirements. You can't just ignore them whilst running the rest of the squad ragged. You have to find a way to make it work and be adaptable and flexible. Identify their strengths

it isn't as though we are talking about players purchased straight from non-league or semi-pro
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1584 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

From September onwards, Cresswell has to do the exact role Noble has for us in the last two years.

I lost count how often he got the ball at left back, took a fairly sharp touch in-field where he may as well have a wheel instead of a right foot, forcing him to play a difficult left foot pass to Rice/Zouma/Fab.

It’s an absolute recipe for disaster, and he just isn’t athletic, dynamic or good enough for us. Compare how he plays to how players like Rice or Fornals can use either foot when the moment is right. It’s painful.

Change the biggest issue and you’ll find a huge improvement.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Gerrard needs to do something next year, Villa are fast becoming the new Everton, spend fortunes and not achieve much, bizzarely I think they've brough some solid players in last two years
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1584 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

Also - we talk a lot about wasting away Sundays after EL games. Not once this season did I think we’d lose a Europa league match in the run up.

Areola has a huge part to play in that - and will make a marketed difference to our team from day one.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:46 pm

No idea on the reliability of the source but seen quite a lot of different South American people talking about him joining us.
Brilliant form over there. Difficult to know if it will transfer but quite an exciting young signing if it comes off.

One of those where it's either an absolute bargain who slots in seamlessly or another Calleri.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

fmgod wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:02 pm Gerrard needs to do something next year, Villa are fast becoming the new Everton, spend fortunes and not achieve much, bizzarely I think they've brough some solid players in last two years
I think they’ve got a solid team and should be looking at top 8 next season. Test of Gerard’s ability
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:51 pm Broadly agree with you there but I don't think those players coming in all have to be able to start from day 1. As a quite extreme possibility, if we started next season with the below...

Areola
Coufal Zouma Ogbonna NEW LB
Rice Soucek
Bowen Lanzini Fornals
Antonio

...and with 4/5 other new additions on the bench that all had the potential to usurp the man in possession over the course of the season then I think we'd see not only a return to the form of the first half of the season but a good chance of sustaining it into spring as well.
I wouldn't be unhappy with those in bold starting next season.

The ones in orange need to be at the top of their game to get a start. It feels to me that Lanzini, Fornals and Benrahma should usually be fighting for one spot though there are times when a ball player should sit next to Rice.

The red names need replacements

We've lost some individual ingenuity and our speed in the transition in recent months.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:27 pm Being transitioned to the bench/rotation is not being binned off.

Even when he was on form, I’ve maintained that I don’t think he has the footballing ability to push us on. He has come in and done a very good job Year 1 of giving us some of the attributes we sorely needed. In Year 2, he ha been a solid member of the squad but as chased the ball around a second too late and mostly been a target for goal kicks outside of the odd big goal.

His on the ball ability isn’t Prem standard. As he becomes more of a known commodity to the opposition, that has begun to show more and his effectiveness has waned.

To be honest, we are now at a stage where the margins are finer, and quite frankly, we have to be more ruthless and clinical than we would like to be when it comes to recognising who is good enough for where we want to be.

We aren’t trying to stave off relegation, or finish midtable any more. By most accounts, this club and fanbase like to talk about Top 6 and Top 4.

There are numerous well-liked players who aren’t good enough for that.
Thing is in “transitioning” Soucek to the bench you need to find another CM/DM that matches both his defensive stats and gets 5 goals in what many think is a “poor” season for him. Someone like Phillips does not achieve this (his overall defensive stats are generally a lot poorer for example) and what is his value - £50m?

The clearances Soucek makes in our box and problems he cause in the oppositions cannot be underrated. He is not the best passer of a ball but it will be hard to replace his all around contribution to the game for the sort of budget we can spend especially if we still want Rice to push on.

We could do it by restricting Rice to a DM role and getting a Ward Prowse to play alongside him, a more creative player than Soucek but only half the defender but would Rice then be happy?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:05 pm Brilliant form over there. Difficult to know if it will transfer but quite an exciting young signing if it comes off.

One of those where it's either an absolute bargain who slots in seamlessly or another Calleri.
think we were linked to this lad (or another NY player) early doors this season

doesn't Newman have links there i.e. they're a City umbrella club ?

early doors for me, and my brain isn't the best even when later in the day, but something rings a bell..

:crossed: