The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by MB »

Doyley72 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:48 pm Yes, that's what professional clubs do...like a business they set their targets and get them before another rival jumps in...something that amateurs GSB just doesn't understand...
OK so let's say they did that two months ago. What European competition should we have based it on as we could have been in the Champions League or none at that stage?

It is easy for Liverpool and Man City to do their business early. Ditto Villa who knew they'd be out of Europe.

If we want the best options we can get then you need to know what you are offering. That is why getting into (any) European competition is so important. It sends a message that last season wasn't a one off. Do it again and we could even call ourselves established.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Some harsh comments towards Soucek imo. We ask him to run a marathon every game for 90 minutes with no respite because, (and this isn’t a dig at Noble), the back up isn’t adequate to replace him and allow for a rest.

What we need is a banging central midfielder that can take the load off and also provide competition that hopefully drives Soucek to make it impossible for Moyes to drop him. I also think a long rest this summer will do him the world of good.

I’d throw the book at Ward-Prowse. His set pieces are one of the best in the league and very comfortable on the ball and keeping possession. Would probably cost a fair bit but that’s the cost of wanting to cement yourself as a challenger and not a pretender.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aceface wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:52 pm I remember this geez from last time out – absolutely nothing apparent that would make him appealing to us. I don't think I understand this transfer.
In days of yore, he'd be a "Sully Special".

That said, Moyes used to shop in the MLS at Everton, whilst New York City FC are Man City's sister club so Newman may well have a view???

He doesn't look anything like Antonio in terms of style but he has scored a bundle over there - and given his age, it looks like the kind of punt where there's almost a money-back guarantee if he flopped.

If we 're chancing £12m on him, does it mean there really is money for good players and we can afford to punt in addition to it?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

The Soucek and Kouyate comparison is a very good one, but I think Soucek is a level above Kouyate. More effective at both ends of the pitch with a superhuman engine. I don't think we should let what has been a fairly mediocre season for Soucek (by his standards) overshadow what a good player he is or can be.

Get another CM in who can share some of the workload and hopefully, might reinvigorate Soucek for next season.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:39 pm I’ll be very surprised if we have any new signings before pre season starts. Areola might sign before then but not counting him as a “new” signing as such.
That’s a bit concerning is that is what will happen.
We will be minus 4 senior players (potentially minus 6) at that stage, that’s without any outgoing player sales.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:03 pm
I’d have them both here, honestly.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Peaches wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:44 pm I’ve seen a fair bit of Castellanos being a Toronto FC season ticket holder. He’s an interesting player. A lot of his goals are penalties or as a result of Sunday league defending. I don’t think he can play as a number 9. He normally play as one of a 2 in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2. If he improves his work rate he can play as a left sided Bowen. He has very good movement and a good football brain. His best attribute is he is exceptional in the air for someone his size (5’9). In that way and ONLY that way he’s a bit like Aguero.
The obligatory YouTube video watch suggests he has neck muscles made of the strongest fibres known to man, such is the whip he gets on his head to connect with the ball.

A couple of moments where his tracking back and tackling get highlighted. Largely looks like he's full of little tricks that might come off, but can imagine him being a frustrating player to watch when they don't.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

hammernsickle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:08 pm I’d have them both here, honestly.
Based on what? Monreal is 36 and Januzaj is piss poor.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

MB wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:51 pm A lot is made of the downside of a small squad, but what about the upside?

Players want to play and fielding a consistent XI is beneficial in terms of understanding and cohesion.

When you watch teams like Liverpool and Man City who rotate a lot, then they look disjointed at times and that is with near like for like replacements.
We had hardly any replacements and still looked a disjointed mess towards the latter half of the season.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

hammers92 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:09 pm Based on what? Monreal is 36 and Januzaj is piss poor.
Forgot about Monreal's age!

But Januzaj is a better passer of the ball than many in our squad. Wilst I still think LB and CF are our main areas that need strengthening, I believe (and have for a long time) that we need big improvements on passing and ball retention. I doubt our ability to cement a Top 6 place unless we can get this vital part of the modern game dialed in.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammers92 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:09 pm Based on what? Monreal is 36 and Januzaj is piss poor.
On what basis is Januzaj piss poor? His form for Man United something like 8/9 years ago?

Seems to have done OK at Sociedad since moving there. Not pulling up trees, but certainly not letting anybody down.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Looks a decent punt. He seems to have a very cool head:

hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:14 pm On what basis is Januzaj piss poor? His form for Man United something like 8/9 years ago?

Seems to have done OK at Sociedad since moving there. Not pulling up trees, but certainly not letting anybody down.
I just took a quick look. 3 goals, 0 assists this season and 4 goals, 5 assists last year. Is that really the upgrade we’re looking for?

Fornals/Lanzini and Benrahma will do that each year and it’s widely thought that they need to give us more.

I think if that’s the ambition then there is something sinister in the pot this summer.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

hammernsickle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:14 pm ...............

But Januzaj is a better passer of the ball than many in our squad
To be honest, that's a pretty low bar.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:14 pm On what basis is Januzaj piss poor? His form for Man United something like 8/9 years ago?

Fella was averaging more than 33 games a season so he must be, 1) Rated by the coach there and 2) Pretty robust physically. He's on the fringes of being a very good player, he just needs to increase his output stats.

Last edited by Ironing Board on Mon May 23, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:39 pm
I think the 'changing of the guard' needs to be more significant than was probably imagined six months ago.
Although this post from Bubbles I've quoted is in another thread, I feel my reply to it is more appropriate here.

I said on EUMB yesterday early evening something I will repeat - and stand by - on here. Aside from Bowen, maybe Zouma, and Rice (with there being a caveat on Rice), there is not one other player in our squad that I wouldn't entertain sensible bids for.

The caveat on Rice would be, if we were offered the £150 million that's oft quoted, I'd bite your arm off and chuck it in the kitty along with this other supposed £150 million - which also as I said yesterday, I think is total b*llocks anyway.

If we can't construct a squad with that sort of dough minus a Declan Rice of course, then we'd clearly be doing something wrong.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The MLS is the one league outside of the UK Moyes has shopped for forwards before. I.e. McBride and Donovan. Although even those was loan deals. So spending money on one from that League is very unlike Moyes.

The money involved makes sense as like I said earlier today in this thread if we are potentially already spending £20m-25m on Dennis I can’t see us spending too much more on the rest of the attack. From clips I’ve watched of him though I am not convinced Castellanos would work in the way we play.

If Dennis, Castellanos and Lingard end up joining then that probably means Lewis-Potter won’t be.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I am not advocating getting rid of soucek. Far from it. HE is a decent player who has some exceptional unique skills
However, given how many goals we concede, and how many teams still have success cutting through our middle I would say his defensive traits are not as good as his stats may suggest.
Yes he may win a lot of headers but how many balls on the floor does he not win by not being in the right position. He often looks all at sea when the opposition are breaking quickly at pace through the middle or dominating possession in our half.

He was absolutely perfect for getting us to thr level we are now. I am just not sure he is what we need to get to the next level
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

funky chicken wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:20 pm The MLS is the one league outside of the UK Moyes has shopped for forwards before. I.e. McBride and Donovan. Although even those was loan deals. So spending money on one from that League is very unlike Moyes.

The money involved makes sense as like I said earlier today in this thread if we are potentially already spending £20m-25m on Dennis I can’t see us spending too much more on the rest of the attack. From clips I’ve watched of him though I am not convinced Castellanos would work in the way we play.

If Dennis, Castellanos and Lingard end up joining then that probably means Lewis-Potter won’t be.
We probably need to have a bit more options in how we play though. Having some forwards with contrasting styles would be useful,