The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Gsbgsb »

I am Legend wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:02 pm About the option to sell Rice or walk for free.

Ask yourself this. If this summer we were offered one of the best CM on the planet for 100m for 3 years, would you pull the trigger?
No.

Buying 1 player for nearly all your budget when you have numerous needs across the squad would be madness. It is akin to what we did with MP/MH when we spent big on one or two players then ignored or went cheap on other positions of need. The budget we had was badly managed as would spending £100m on one player now.

PS another way of looking at your proposal is if he was at Man Utd, Chelsea or whoever would you pay them £100m fee to loan him for 3 years? I would not.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Gsbgsb wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm No.

Buying 1 player for nearly all your budget when you have numerous needs across the squad would be madness. It is akin to what we did with MP/MH when we spent big on one or two players then ignored or went cheap on other positions of need. The budget we had was badly managed as would spending £100m on one player now.
We already have the player though is my point. If we had lots of money and were offered one of the best in the world, most would want said player.

Currently one plays for us and the extra funds from selling won't attract better players, in fact the loss of player will lower the quality we can lure. That and we have money to strengthen anyway.
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:49 pm Was agreed in January (according to some people I know) :)
This Lingard "Love in" does me in. I really wish the team/fans/moyes would get over it. It does me in every fffing window!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

It’s also just much, much more fun to go to the stadium every week knowing we get to watch Declan Rice play for West Ham.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:01 pm I would, because even though it's not fashionable to say this, I don't think he is worth £150 million and we'd be pulling the buyers pants down, whomever it was.
Fair enough. Obviously that's a much riskier way of doing things. The £300m to build a future (at a well run club) I can see. £150m with a rice sized hole and lots of other stuff to do would be pretty tight to do in today's world.

I get the it's too good to turn down idea though. Plenty of people on here seem to be suggesting we need a £150m overhaul with rice still here(it staggers me we had the season we did tbh when apparently 90% of the team is crap lol).
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

I wonder if teams/players are going to wait and see what impact the Mbappe signing on fee has on the overall market. Obviously he’s in a different league to the free signings we’re looking at (and PSG is flush with cash and crazy), but 150 mill euros is insane money.

Nonetheless, if I was someone like Lingard, Tarkowski or Kamera (or some of the other names thrown around), while I wouldn’t be asking for that amount, I *might* be asking for more now than I would have before that was announced, so it could take longer to get this sort of signing wrapped up.

At the same time, someone like Rice may see that and be a bit happier to run down his contract at West Ham if he knows he has a much bigger signing bonus than expected (in addition to a higher salary) if he signs on for a free at a major club.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm Soucek is basically Kouyate but with a few more goals.
Soucek is basically Fellaini.

He isn’t better than Kalvin Phillips either.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Hermit_Road wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:18 pm This Lingard "Love in" does me in. I really wish the team/fans/moyes would get over it. It does me in every fffing window!
All two of them!
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:32 pm Soucek is basically Fellaini.

He isn’t better than Kalvin Phillips either.
They're completely different players other than being moderately effective goalscorers
Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb »

I am Legend wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:16 pm We already have the player though is my point. If we had lots of money and were offered one of the best in the world, most would want said player.

Currently one plays for us and the extra funds from selling won't attract better players, in fact the loss of player will lower the quality we can lure. That and we have money to strengthen anyway.
If we had “loads of money” everything would be different we would be called Man City not West Ham to start with. We would be trying to by the best in every position as they are. You cannot base any decision on something that is most unlikely to come to pass.

I do not advocate selling Rice (certainly this window) but we do not have “loads of money” so would not pay £100m to loan his equivalent from another side for 3 years when we have the needs across the squad we have.

Next summer we will have the decision to make about selling Rice as it is the last window we are likely to attract anything like £100m. Again if we had “loads of money” the decision might be different but assuming we are financially who we are now then I am far from sure we can afford to wave goodbye to £100m (indeed few clubs could).
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

We conceded 51 goals last year which is worse than 20/21s 47. That is after bringing in Zouma to “solidify”the defence. Our best defender this year was Craig Ballon Dawson who cost £2M and has been sent off twice and conceded 4 penalties I. The last two seasons. Masuaku, while skilful, is pub team standard at defending and Cresswell was not much better for a large chunk of the season. Diop, Ogbonna and Zouma all missed time through injury, and Dawson played hurt almost the entire year. Ogbonna, Dawson and Cresswell are all over 32.
We are in desperate need of at least one and probably 2 left backs, and at least one, probably 2 centre backs. We need another defensive midfielder to help the workload born by Rice and Soucek. We also need a centre forward as Antonio is the only one we have and he is also 32. We also need more pace in midfield.
I think Nayef Aguerd will be the first player we sign, and I would try to get Omar Richards from Bayern as he didn’t get much playing time there.
If we could mend fences with Reece Oxford, I would bring him back.
Last edited by Peaches on Mon May 23, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

The club would not have budgeted for finishing 6th last season and they wont have budgeted for finishing 7th this. So where's the money? If Moyes claims he could have spent £50m in January, let's see him spend it and the rest this summer.

We should have at least £100m available this window before we sell anyone or get wages off the book from the likes of Yarmolenko so there is no need whatsoever to sell a player who is actually a draw to bringing in other players and putting the club on the desirable list. It's not all about money, top quality players help attract top quality players. The question about selling Rice before he walks for free is certainly not for this window.

The main money needs to be spent on starting 11 quality, those replaced become the bench. We have to get well away from the never mind the quality feel the width mindset. There is always a place for a cheap punt but our starting 11 needs upgrading and some positions such as LB have needed upgrading for some time.
Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:36 pm They're completely different players other than being moderately effective goalscorers
I assume that is a reference to Fellaini as the one thing Phillips is not is a “moderately effective goalscorer”. He is actually worse than Rice is this regard (1 in 49 against 6 in 167).
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:13 pm Keep the Ferrari as one of the best sports cars in the world, and leave the towing duties to the Passat, as it's better at doing it.
Did anyone else read this and think DL was changing his cars again?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Harsh.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

West Ham are continuing to hold talks with Rennes over a deal for central defender Nayef Aguerd and are close to agreeing a fee, 90min understands.

https://www.90min.com/posts/west-ham-ho ... ef-aguerd
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Peaches wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:51 pm We conceded 51 goals last year which is worse than 20/21s 47. That is after bringing in Zouma to “solidify”the defence. Our best defender this year was Craig Ballon Dawson who cost £2M and has been sent off twice and conceded 4 penalties I. The last two seasons.
I do believe there’s somewhat of a West Ham trait that we really need to get past. We love a ‘cult hero’ and we tend to idolise our underdog players, which is great at first of course, because it’s great fun to see Craig Dawson bosh a header in away at Lyon in a Europa Quarter and to call him Ballon Dawson. But what I find happens with West Ham, and the club are as responsible for it as we are as a fanbase, is that we then genuinely act like the player is better than he really is, and we persist with him in a key role for far too long.

We’ve always done it. Countless players that we love because we thought they’d be **** and it turns out that mostly through their sheer hard work, they aren’t. It’s hard to root against those players. It’s hard not to love them. But it also means it’s hard to face the reality that the player is still not good enough for what’s needed.

Zouma, who ironically is a twat, is our best defender and the only one who should be pencilled in as a pure starter for us going forward.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Do not sell Rice while G & S are anywhere near this club.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

funky chicken wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:03 pm West Ham are continuing to hold talks with Rennes over a deal for central defender Nayef Aguerd and are close to agreeing a fee, 90min understands.

https://www.90min.com/posts/west-ham-ho ... ef-aguerd
Is 90 mins reputable ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think Marcus Rashford could happen. Alright, he's on a huge wedge at Man U and guess it depends on whether Ten Hag sees him in his plans, but right now, his career is going backwards. Some clubs do deals whereby the selling club, agrees to hugely subsidise an exiting wages and if Man U are prepared to agree to such a deal, he could IMO rock up along with Lingard. If he doesn't, I can see leaving Old Trafford for other pastures new. Somewhere like Newcastle, or Arsenal maybe. I'm struggling to see other destinations. I also think he would be perfect for us