The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Turns to Stone »

I like Benrahma, but the truth is that he should do more. He gets in some fantastic positions between the lines, and too often he either makes the wrong decision or is off with his pass/shot. Having said that, I thin Bowen was in a similar position two year ago and he has come on leaps and bounds.

I'd like Lingard to come in as I think he has pace and that he has drive and directness. He also has a ludicrous amount of confidence that comes from spending your entire career at Man Utd. Lingard in for Yarmolenko plus an additional £50k a week or whatever it would be is still exceptional business from a squad pov. I'd also like to see Lewis-Potter come in for Vlasic (if we can get away with getting £15m - £20m back for Vlasic and then getting Lewis-Potter for £25m tops that would also make sense. Add in a striker (ideally Toney but probably more likely Dennis) and we then have resolved our forward issues with an outlay probably of about £20m - £30m.

Then it's Areola, left-back, centre-back, centre-midfielder all for probably around £50m - £60m. Areola for £10m (or another loan if the Dildo's can swing it).

Bassey or someone similar for £20m - £25m (we simply have to start spending money on our full-backs. Aguerd if we can't convince Tomkins to come down south and then a central midfielder with the remaining money we have left. There are still loans to be had out there, and with new owners/managers coming in, clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea may have surplus. I can defintely see a player like Gallacher coming in and perhaps even someone like McTominay if Ten Haag didn't fancy him.

The thing is, I really do not see us challenging for Top 4 next year. We have finished 6th, 7th and I expeect us to be just ouside those places again and fighting for a Europa place and fighting for a cup. Which is absolutely fine. Unless we can unearth a Payet or a Demba Ba from somewhere, I think that anything above that is probably wishful thinking.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:52 am I see the narrative that JWP is overrated and just be free kick merchant is sticking despite lots of stats suggesting otherwise. He is a fantastic player in open play.
Great set piece taker, maybe could play ahead of Rice and Soucek in AM (in which case we could sell one or two from Benrahma/Vlasic/Lanzini) but I don’t see him as a tough tackling CM. I’d rather sign Oriel Romeu as a backup CM.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:52 am I see the narrative that JWP is overrated and just be free kick merchant is sticking despite lots of stats suggesting otherwise. He is a fantastic player in open play.
Alternatively, also quite funny the idea that he's being signed to replace Cresswell on set pieces, which has been mentioned a couple of times.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:31 am I like Benrahma, but the truth is that he should do more.
That's where I'm at with him and if we can better him, I'd pull the plug. Raphina would be the kind of upgrade I'd go for if we did. But no real pressure to sell, only on our terms.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

We already need to replace:

Yarmolenko
Noble
Areola
Kral

At a bare minimum just to keep our squad numbers the same. Realistically we also need critically:

CB
LB
ST

Yet we're apparently open to selling 3 other first team players.

I'm calling nonsense. We're open to selling anyone other than Rice and Bowen I'm sure. If a £60 million bid came in for Fornals I doubt we'd say no.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am When do we expect the club to announce the list of players leaving this summer...

We know it's likely to be Frederick's, Yarmo and Noble

But what of Oggy, Kral, Areola and Fabianski?

Announcement soon surely?
Yes, it's slightly odd that things haven't been announced.

The only things the club has mentioned in recent months are Antonio and Johnson's extensions/options, plus the departures of Noble and Pearce.

Yarmolenko has announced his own departure, so presumably a conversation must have happened because the club had an option.

The club also have an option on Ogbonna, and Moyes has suggested that Fabianski was being offered a deal, whilst they ran an article a week or two ago about Areola. I'm guessing Moyes needs to talk to all of these about his plans and thoughts for next season. He won't want players thinking they are getting game time if that isn't his intention - we've seen how disastrous that can be at Man U when Ronaldo pitched up and a lot of redundant, disgruntled footballers became dressing room poison.

The only word on Fredericks has come from the Standard, and the Mail were mentioning Masuaku as a potential player for Fulham as well.

The Kral situation is truly bizarre. I think Vlasic is also on his way out.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Ex did say the club would ‘listen to offers’. That doesn’t mean Soucek or Benrahma will go. It just means if the right offer came in they’d consider it. And if those offers don’t come in it’s all irrelevant.

I’d be amazed if Benrahma and especially Soucek leave the club this summer. I can very much believe Randolph, Masuaku, Vlasic and possibly Diop going though.

I don’t know why, but I am getting the Milenkovic vibes with this Aguerd. I get the impression we will only sign him when we know the player we really want isn’t available. Last year that player was of course Zouma. The same thing happened with Lingard last summer. We couldn’t get him so went with Vlasic. If Nottingham Forest lose that play-off final I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Aguerd deal miraculously collapse and we then go in for Worrall. I also wonder what Ten Hag will do with Harry Maguire.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3013 likes
Total likes: 2668 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Vlasic will be gone/will push for a move as his involvement in the World Cup would be in jeopardy if he doesn't get game time prior to the tournament.
StevePottsGoalsReel

Colours never run wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:44 am That's where I'm at with him and if we can better him, I'd pull the plug. Raphina would be the kind of upgrade I'd go for if we did. But no real pressure to sell, only on our terms.
One's 25 years old and got 11 goals and 3 assists in 2,966 mins this season.

The other's 26 years old and got 11 goals and 6 assists in 2,881 mins this season.

Which one's the upgrade?
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:54 am Vlasic will be gone/will push for a move as his involvement in the World Cup would be in jeopardy if he doesn't get game time prior to the tournament.
Not sure young Nikola’s mood will have improved much having seen Milan win Serie A over the weekend. His mouthy old man was very clear they were his other option.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

I see Jesse is in California right now. So if he’s joining I guess we won’t hear an announcement for another week or 2.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Surprised at the narrative that we couldn't get JWP, we're a notch above Southampton in almost every regard, Stadium Size, Fanbase size, going into our second year of European football, would get higher wages etc etc etc

The only stumbling block would be getting a deal done with Southampton which imo would cost an arm and a leg for what we'd be getting back and rightly so he's their biggest player and we will do likewise with Rice

Im not a big fan of his personally and certainly don't see him as a Soucek replacement but more of a challenger for the Lanzini role, but its hard to argue it wouldn't be a statement so to speak going into a mid table PL clubs house and prizing away their biggest asset
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Interestingly, one source also suggests Watford left-back Hassane Kamara has attracted admirers at West Ham, although it's unclear whether the Hammers are willing to explore a deal at this stage.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... el-Dennis
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I really don’t get why people are panicking about selling Soucek and Benrahma with the reason that we’d be even more short of players. Moyes has constantly said he knows we’re too short of players to begin with.

If you like Soucek and Benrahma as players and don’t want to see them go then fair, but we’ll obviously replace them if we sell them.

I personally don’t mind what I’m reading. Moyes seems hellbent on improving us and nobody is immune to it bar two or three obvious players.

It’s the ruthless and clinical nature of things that I was talking about the other day which is needed at this level.
Last edited by Aztec Hammer on Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

funky chicken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:07 am I see Jesse is in California right now. So if he’s joining I guess we won’t hear an announcement for another week or 2.
Rumour is he believes he can still make a go of it at Man United. Going to use his old swipe card to get into the car park and do keepie-ups outside Ten Hag’s office window once he’s back from holiday.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:11 am
Kral will of course be going.
Did he actually arrive here
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Morocco Mole wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:23 am JWP only 26 chances created from open play in 3127 minutes.
By comparison Benny has 23 from 2184 minutes.
Sorry but this isn’t a fair comparison. Ones a winger and ones a central midfielder.

How many chances has Soucek created from open play?
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 500 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

If we are willing to listen to offers for Soucek I would only sell if Bissouma was to come in as replacement.

Just hope we get the kind of figures that have been quoted for other players.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

A clue perhaps of where Villa’s money for this window is coming from?

‘Fighting to keep’.
StevePottsGoalsReel

Aztec Hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:16 am If you like Soucek and Benrahma as players and don’t want to see them go then fair, but we’ll obviously replace them if we sell them.