The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Morocco Mole »

chigwellhammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 am Lingard wants 100k a week and two million each year as a annual signing on fee/bonus hmmmm
So 6 million signing on fee and 100 bags a week?

Dare I say that sounds ‘cheap’?
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

West Ham United remain interested in Watford striker Emmanuel Dennis, but are assessing their options before committing to any offers.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport ... l-dennis/
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Saints fans seem particularly unbothered about whether Broja returns next season. I knew he tailed off but when you can’t even impress that bunch competing against the rest of their dreary attackers…
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1085 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

MB wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:33 pm I work with a Brighton STH and the understanding down there is he won't be charged and the police are just keeping up appearances as the other guy was charged.
If that's the case... because he is innocent... than I'd be very happy with him. He's a fantastic player and would add make us a lot more solid.

We can't feasibly get him and Ward-Prowse though... can we? Can we? Only if someone goes... :nonpl:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

funky chicken wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:51 pm West Ham United remain interested in Watford striker Emmanuel Dennis, but are assessing their options before committing to any offers.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport ... l-dennis/
Where does this register on the Dither-O-Meter?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Aceface wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:55 pm Saints fans seem particularly unbothered about whether Broja returns next season. I knew he tailed off but when you can’t even impress that bunch competing against the rest of their dreary attackers…
It’s a smokescreen, we’re going to reveal a Shane Long mega-deal.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Aceface wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:55 pm Saints fans seem particularly unbothered about whether Broja returns next season. I knew he tailed off but when you can’t even impress that bunch competing against the rest of their dreary attackers…
But they are absolutely desperate to keep hold of JWP, not bad for a free kick merchant :winker: :winker:
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Does anyone know who has the option? Us or him??
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

I don't think Broja is all that to be honest. He had a couple of moments but he's nowhere near good enough to make much of a difference to us.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1085 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Given his age and spells of him at his best (i.e. against us) I believe Broja could be immense under the right management...

He has a bit of Arnie about him...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Mayday wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:17 pm I don't think Broja is all that to be honest. He had a couple of moments but he's nowhere near good enough to make much of a difference to us.
I agree. I think we should be judging him on his performances across the whole season and not just against us. I'm seeing him as a player that doesn't get overly involved in games and creates little for those around him. I think he still has quite a bit of developing to do. If he was a good price then by all means, take a chance and develop him - but for the prices I've seen I'd be wanting the finished article.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:39 pm That 2 key passes per game includes set pieces mate.

From open play:

JWP - 0.67
Pablo - 1.06
Does it matter? Did we care when many of Payet's key passes came from set pieces? A chance created is a chance created.

I know people have suggested we play him in attacking midfield but I really don't think he'd play there. Positionally, he's a plain central midfielder and so I don't think the comparison with more attacking creative players are particularly fair. Let me say though - I've given Lanzini plenty of stick recently for not being creative enough. If he suddenly started creating chances from free-kicks in the same way Ward-Prowse does, I'd have absolutely no issues with him at all. Chances are chances.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Wed May 25, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4402 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Broja was extremely good for Southampton up to late Feb/early March. As a club they downed tools once they beat us in the Cup.

Lingard, Broja and KLP added to Antonio, Bowen, Fornals, Lanzini and Benrahma looks to be a very nice blend of youth and experience, pace and power with a bit of guile and trickery thrown in, imho.

Should leave a good £60m plus proceeds of sales to sort out the back 7 too.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed May 25, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2757 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by DublinDave »

HammerPDC wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:16 pm Does anyone know who has the option? Us or him??
Us... We've been writing this clause into most of our contracts for the last few years...
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:32 pm Does it matter? Did we care when many of Payet's key passes came from set pieces? A chance created is a chance created.
People seem to be acting like set piece chances are worth less than open play chances. They’re absolutely equal, a chance is a chance and a goal is a goal. It doesn’t matter if that’s from a freekick, or a through ball.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:32 pm Does it matter? Did we care when many of Payet's key passes came from set pieces? A chance created is a chance created.
Yes, it matters. If your next best option to JWP is doing marginally less well from set pieces then you aren’t getting much of an upgrade. I’m not saying that is the case but am saying why the two are different. It is like signing a forward that scored 15 goals including seven penalties the season before. If your current penalty taker would have scored six of those penalties you aren’t getting what the 15 goals might suggest.
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:29 pm I agree. I think we should be judging him on his performances across the whole season and not just against us. I'm seeing him as a player that doesn't get overly involved in games and creates little for those around him. I think he still has quite a bit of developing to do. If he was a good price then by all means, take a chance and develop him - but for the prices I've seen I'd be wanting the finished article.
Exactly that. He's worth a punt for development at a low price but I'd want someone else brought in who's more 'established'.

Castellanos is worth a punt at the price rumoured.

Scamacca is worth a punt at a reasonable price. - he looks like he could develop into an incredible player and the closest I've seen to a Zlatan 2.0.

I'd love us to go for that Joel Piroe at Swansea, that is a proper player there with a similar skillset to Antonio but with excellent technical ability and finishing.

I'm not sure about Dennis. Has some good qualities but I know his attitude and application were questionable before he joined Watford - they in fact took a punt on him.

Which brings us onto Watkins - I know there are some detractors on here but he would be incredible for us. There's a Reason why Gerrard is fighting to keep him and its because of his industry and the numerous openings he creates for other players plus the ability to score a good amount of goals each season. Bowen and Lingard would have a field day feeding off of him.
Last edited by Mayday on Wed May 25, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I think matters in so far as it’s an added variable. ie you have to win a free kick before you can take one. Having open play stats separate allows you to assess how the player operates…..in open play basically.

In a nutshell if it came down to between Fornals and Ward-Prowsd for one spot do you like the extra flair and creativity of Pablo or do you prefer a lesser footballer that’s better at free kicks (that first have to be won). I’m very much in the first camp - plus we already own Pablo,

I take your point though…

EDIT: Evil C’s rationale was better. :)
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Eddie Nketiah will stay at Arsenal, as reported by
@SamiMokbel81_DM and @David_Ornstein.
The decision has been made - nothing signed yet.

Nketiah will pen a new long term deal - Eddie has decided to turn down Bundesliga and PL club proposals to stay at Arsenal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fabrizioroma ... o6YgSQsVw
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

EvilC wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 pm Yes, it matters. If your next best option to JWP is doing marginally less well from set pieces then you aren’t getting much of an upgrade. I’m not saying that is the case but am saying why the two are different. It is like signing a forward that scored 15 goals including seven penalties the season before. If your current penalty taker would have scored six of those penalties you aren’t getting what the 15 goals might suggest.
For reference, Bowen has made 0 assists, 0 goals, and 1 key pass from his free kicks this season. I think it would be more than a marginal upgrade. And let's not ignore the fact that, even without the set-pieces, Ward-Prowse is a very good player. But he's a box to box player and not a creative attacking midfielder, and his output from open play is more comparable to Rice, Soucek, and - a few years back - Noble. He shouldn't be compared directly to players in an attacking 3 whose sole purpose it is to score and create.