Europa Conference League 22-23

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Europa Conference League 22-23

Post by Colours never run »

JerseyHammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:37 am Winning Conference league for me, and I think this is the problem with football in general now.

Those top 4 places are so coveted that people are losing sight of actually winning a trophy. We'd get smashed in the champions league, would much rather have a trophy to show.
Don't blame the fans, blame UEFA for ****ing about with the formats down the years. They've created this mess themselves and should have left alone.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Colours never run wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:47 am Don't blame the fans, blame UEFA for ****ing about with the formats down the years. They've created this mess themselves and should have left alone.
But surely if they hadn't altered the old format, champions only in the European cup plus, what was it 3 entrants to the UEFA cup, clubs like West Ham would have pretty much no chance of ever taking part in a European competition. At least now the PL clubs finishing as low as 7th get a chance.

Please no one mention the ECWC. That pretty much died the death because the teams that usually won the domestic cups across Europe had already qualified for one of the bigger European competitions anyway.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Mourinho‘s reaction last night…. The text from the one Roma supporter I know who happens to also be WHU after a lesson in the academy during his exchange studies…

Anyone thinking this is some competition we shouldn’t be bothering with is utterly wrong.

For anyone under 50, there is literally no memory or day at Wembley where we have won a knockout cup. There’s no FA Cup win, no cup winners cup…

Most of us are Roma fans. I’d LOVE to be a Roma fan today.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:08 amWinning Confernce League or 4th? I would take 4th.
Bonkers. and actually depressing.

You would rather finish in a league position we’ve previously finished higher in anyway, than win an actual trophy and have all the fun and adventures across Europe that would entail, I’m guessing so that you could witness us get knocked out a year later to a bigger European name.

Just go to some of the random games against the random European teams in midweek next season Crouchy, it’ll be the same.

We don’t have owners who’ll suddenly fuel a 4th place finish any different to a 7th, and Stratford would be absolutely rammed with day tripping pwoppa nawty plonkers if we got Real Madrid or Juventus.

Just enjoy what we’ve got. I’ll settle for ANY cup and no relegation fight.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

38 games to qualify for Europe or 14 or so (can’t remember the exact figure) games in a competition we’ll be one of the favourites?

Let’s start making some proper memories, I’m all for it.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

e17 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:09 am Bonkers. and actually depressing.

You would rather finish in a league position we’ve previously finished higher in anyway, than win an actual trophy and have all the fun and adventures across Europe that would entail, I’m guessing so that you could witness us get knocked out a year later to a bigger European name.

Just go to some of the random games against the random European teams in midweek next season Crouchy, it’ll be the same.

We don’t have owners who’ll suddenly fuel a 4th place finish any different to a 7th, and Stratford would be absolutely rammed with day tripping pwoppa nawty plonkers if we got Real Madrid or Juventus.

Just enjoy what we’ve got. I’ll settle for ANY cup and no relegation fight.
Let me get this straight. I am not saying i don't want us to win the Conference League, I want us to go all out for it next season.

I was 2 in 1980 so have never seen us win a trophy so of course it would be great to win one

However, i also want us to progress as a club and have regular European campaigns and regular opportunities to win trophies (European and domestic). I don't want to be in the shadow of Arsenal and Spurs any longer. I want us to compete with them regularly. In my opinion, this will be facilitated by qualifying for the Champions League. Better players, more publicity, higher profile. I also don't think we would bomb in it either and would have a perfectly decent chance of progressing.

I don't want us to be in the Champions LEague so we get to play the big teams. I am not bothered by who are opponents are. However, i would like us to receive the acclaim, publicity, profile, attention (and dare i say glamour) that being at that level would bring (if only for one season)

I loved being in the Europa League. Not only for the excitement and the matches but due to suddenly West Ham were on everyone's lips and getting all the attention.

I appreciate 4th is not hugely realistic, but we are now at least getting in the mix for it

and i would love to get to a European away day at some point next season, as i wanted to this season, unfortunately life circumstances make that a bit difficilt for me at the moment so I have to make do with home games for now
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Spot on Crouchend. :newthumb:
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Give me the trophy all day long.

Bored of getting all excited about being allowed to play 6 games against plastic clubs.

I want to actually see someone in a West Ham shirt lift a trophy up in the air, in a random European stadium, after beating a genuine, real European football team that hasn't just been propped up by blood money and tourism.

That's what football is about. Not 'winning' Top 4 so that we can get tonked a few times, grab a couple of wins and a draw if we're lucky and wonder what the fuss was all about, whilst pining to be in a 'real' European competition with 'real' teams again.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:55 am Give me the trophy all day long.

Bored of getting all excited about being allowed to play 6 games against plastic clubs.

I want to actually see someone in a West Ham shirt lift a trophy up in the air, in a random European stadium, after beating a genuine, real European football team that hasn't just been propped up by blood money and tourism.

That's what football is about. Not 'winning' Top 4 so that we can get tonked a few times, grab a couple of wins and a draw if we're lucky and wonder what the fuss was all about, whilst pining to be in a 'real' European competition with 'real' teams again.
The point is that if we qualify for the Champions League, there is more chance of those things we all want happening (not just once, but more regularly)
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

The final is in Prague.

Stadium only holds 20,400 though. Seems unnecessarily small for a European final.
Colours never run

fjthegrey wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am The final is in Prague.

Stadium only holds 20,400 though. Seems unnecessarily small for a European final.
If anything undermines the prestige of trophies like The Europa Conference League and Europa League, its the worrying trend of organisers agreeing to host the Finals in very small capacities when compared to years gone by. These showpiece events should be staged in stadiums befitting of one like a Bernabeu, Wembley, San Siro. Granted Sevilles this season was done to honour Seville for winning it so many times (not a good enough reason for me and shouldn't have happened), yet they're also following that up with consecutive low capacities in the Conference. So if the organisations aren't going to respect their own Finals then you can forgive fans for questioning is it as good as its made out.

It's also unfair on those fans wishing to attend a Final, instead stuck either at home or outside in a bar somewhere as the Corps etc snap up a lion share of tickets anyway.

As I said, they should never have ****ed about with the traditional established and respected European trophies before. Now we've got to the point fans understandably questioning it's veracity and possibly preferring to focus on champions league qualification instead.
Last edited by Colours never run on Thu May 26, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:57 am The point is that if we qualify for the Champions League, there is more chance of those things we all want happening (not just once, but more regularly)
You mean no chance as against hardly any chance.
I think you are whistling in the dark, the current setup is so geared towards the top clubs that even if we had got 4th spot we still would have only got 4% of the money that Chelsea will get for doing exactly the same thing.
The odds against anyone but the selected few regularly qualifying for the champions League are astronomical without massive year on year squad investment.
And we know that's not happening.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

We're not going to get top 4 next season, it's a pipe dream.

I'll take winning the Cup any day.

A 20,400 stadium for the final though? That's just ludicrous. What is wrong with these clowns?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

There's a point in time where prioritising the ECL next season (and to not count chickens, we still have a two-legged play-off and a group phase) over the league will actually be beneficial.

If we're in a position where by we can finish between 6th and 9th but in the quarter finals of the ECL, we might as well sacrifice the league a little in favour of trying to win this and qualify for the Europa that way, instead of worrying about the league. It would mean more to have a trophy and Europa than to fight to finish 6th - they both have the same result.

For the record, we were 6th with 51 points when the ECL quarters were this season. We were likely never going to make up the 9 points to Chelsea to finish in the top 4, we were unlikely to see a 14 point swing to Palace/Villa/Brighton/Newcastle group that were clustered between 10th and 13th. If we're in that position next season, why not try and take the 5 games through to the final as our priority, rather than the last 6 games of the Premier League season where we're not going to drop out of the top 10?
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:57 am The point is that if we qualify for the Champions League, there is more chance of those things we all want happening (not just once, but more regularly)
I think we'd flop 'using' the CL for the most part anyway. I doubt we'd sign elite players as a result of it.

I get your point, but honestly I'd just accept us winning any trophy once. I thought it was going to happen a few weeks ago. That was a body blow.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

We’ve got a real shot at this next season, provided we get through the qualifying round.

I want us to give it a real go. I don’t want us to do a Tottenham, who thought they were genuinely above the tournament, so much so they manipulated a way out out of a genuine chance to win only their 2nd trophy in 23 years.

The clubs left at the vinegar strokes of this years tournament had genuine European pedigree, some of those who we could face next year similarly so. Let’s take the bull by the horns and bring home some silverware
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I’m sure the hospitality sector in Prague will be cheering us on…!!
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Funny one last night, it didn't really feel like a major european cup final like the Rangers Vs Frankfurt game did. Im not sure whether it was down to the fact there was no British teams in it, or an unnecessarily small stadium or mourinho's boring tactics but it just felt like a pre season competition final. I didn't see no build up to it on the news or anything, and unless you looked for it, you wouldn't even know it was on

All throughout the tournament it hasn't got much publicity, maybe cause its brand new, and I think it being the same nights as the europa league doesn't help but their just doesn't seem to be any buzz around the competition.

I don't think we'll see the same scenes as Lyon & seville as the wins in the knockout stages of the UECL wont mean as much, but i'll still be fun to visit some obscure places nonetheless, & hopefully we can win the thing and qualify for the Europa league 2023/24
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

It’s not going to be the hype of Europa because that’s the competition above it, just like in reality, Europa isn’t the hype of Champions League.

But Roma and Mourinho won it yesterday, they were emotional, the fans were going mental. It wasn’t won by AIK Fishermen FC.

The trophy isn’t a silly dish, it even looks like the Europa trophy.

The competition grew in legitimacy last night. It would be amazing for us to be the second team to win it.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Kermit wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:52 am But surely if they hadn't altered the old format, champions only in the European cup plus, what was it 3 entrants to the UEFA cup, clubs like West Ham would have pretty much no chance of ever taking part in a European competition. At least now the PL clubs finishing as low as 7th get a chance.

Please no one mention the ECWC. That pretty much died the death because the teams that usually won the domestic cups across Europe had already qualified for one of the bigger European competitions anyway.
ONE of the bigger competitions?? :eh:
The only one bigger was the old European Cup, and the CWC was only slightly below in status, being comprised of WINNERS. Unlike the UEFA cup which was for also rans.

UEFA couldn't leave it alone though, because they wanted to involve as many teams as possible and so increase the revenue. So they did away with that pure KO format and brought in the groups etc.

We won the competition that was only half a step below the European Cup. Let's not devalue it.