The French corner [non WHU]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Re: The French corner [non WHU]

Post by Misko »

Last part about CBs, the hot prospects.

- Castello Lukeba (Lyon, 19yo, 6'0) : Probably the best player for OL this year. OK, the season was awful, but it is a remarkable feat for a player who never played a single minute at the pro level before. The story is even more unbelievable as he was not even tagged as the most promising talent from the academy. Being shorter than the other ones, he had to work harder than everyone. It is paying off this year, and hopefully would keep on this way. He reads the game particulary good, intercepting a lot of balls and stopping zillions of attacks by great anticipation (the team played so dreadfully that he had a lot to do, and he did it particulary well, much better than the very experienced Denayer and Boateng). He also is super reliable with the ball, he touches the ball more than the other defenders, completes more passes with a great accuracy, makes many progressive carries, etc. He is also fast and dynamic, I saw him (way too often) getting back to block a shot from an attacker who had a decisive advantage in his back. Of course, being only 6'0, he is not dominant in the air, but he compensate with his dynamism and anticipation. The next season, the confirmation one, will be decisive in ranging him from true potential superstar to "just" a good player.

- Jean-Clair Todibo (Nice, 22yo, 6'2) : The name could probably ring a bell as he played for Barcelona, Schalke and Benfica before settling in Nice. He was originally from Toulouse academy, where he attracted big clubs very early. He was earlier considered more a DM than a CB, he blossomed in defense. He is strong and pacey, he is aggressive and he is really talented with the ball. He has all the tools in the box to become a major player if, and this is a big if, he improves his behaviour on and off the pitch. It seems improving a lot, but he proved himself very immature in the past, hence the multiple clubs in such a young age.

- Anthony Rouault (Toulouse, 20yo, 6'1) : What I will write is mostly from hearsay, I didn't see much of him. He is another highly intelligent defender, intelligent but extremely tough and disciplined. The kind fans love. He just won Ligue 2 with Toulouse and will discover Ligue 1 next year. No doubt that if he performs well at this level, he'll be targetted by much bigger clubs. One stat to show how good and important he has been for his club: Toulouse averaged 2.4 points per game when he played, 1.1 during his foot injury this winter (10 games).

I would also mention Isaak Touré who is set to join Marseille in the summer, but I have never seen him play. He seems a physical freak (6'7 with pace). I guess he is some kind of raw material (19yo, first year as a pro) but the word is that he really is special. In what meaning and to what extent, I can't know.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Thanks again Misko - enjoying this thread and appreciate all your effort :thup:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Good lad Misko :newthumb:

I saw a lot of Toulouse games in person a couple of years ago and wanted us to sign Sangare when we got Diop. Didn’t realise he’s now at PSV
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

You've reminded me about Maripán - we were very heavily linked with him I believe when Pellegrini was here.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Misko, after you get through the midfield positions and strikers, you need to give us a list of under the radar restaurants :scarfer:
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

My favourite thread :thup:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Don't forget to include Bayo in your striker list - I would be interested to hear your thoughts as he's frequently mentioned on here and we have had interest in him before.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:50 pm You've reminded me about Maripán - we were very heavily linked with him I believe when Pellegrini was here.
I was just about to say that - pretty sure at one point we were going to be getting him in.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1642 likes

Post by last.caress »

NedN wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:14 am Misko... you need to give us a list of under the radar restaurants
This! Misko, we're all on our way to your place. Put the kettle on. :)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Weren't we linked with Bard a couple windows ago? Sure I recall a few puns on his name
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I'm curious if you think Benjamin Bourigeaud's sudden form this season is a one-off given it's come late in his career.

He seems like an interesting option given we have two midfield places needing to be filled this summer. Would assume him being 28 would put off some clubs who buy to specific age policy.

Our boardroom relations with Rennes are obviously fairly cordial at the moment given the Aguerd situation.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Is Toure the one who allegedly turned Newcastle down this week, wanted to stay in France at this stage? If so suggests Newcastle are getting their scouting sorted, or have a direct line to Misko!
Misko

Post by Misko »

1895Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:17 am Is Toure the one who allegedly turned Newcastle down this week, wanted to stay in France at this stage? If so suggests Newcastle are getting their scouting sorted, or have a direct line to Misko!
Yes he is. It was funny to see his name popping out just after I wrote about him. As I said, I never saw him play, but there is a growing fuss in the media about him here.

I will talk about Bayo for sure. A winger turned into a striker, you probably will like it.

I also planned to include Bourigeaud in my list, he is a very interesting player. He seems to be a proper underdog to me.
claretnbleu
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by claretnbleu »

As a season ticket holder at Nice (130euros, get in!) I can confirm that Bard is absolutely moutarde.
Misko

Post by Misko »

claretnbleu wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:25 pm As a season ticket holder at Nice (130euros, get in!) I can confirm that Bard is absolutely moutarde.
You may help me then as I am very unsure about Kephren Thuram. The moment I made my mind about him being a good player, he starts being woeful and vice versa. As I am not watching every game of Nice, I can't make my mind about him.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

1895Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:17 am Is Toure the one who allegedly turned Newcastle down this week, wanted to stay in France at this stage? If so suggests Newcastle are getting their scouting sorted, or have a direct line to Misko!
I heard on a podcast that both Lyon and Marseille want him, with Marseille probably edging it.
Misko

Post by Misko »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:36 pm I heard on a podcast that both Lyon and Marseille want him, with Marseille probably edging it.
101 for good click bait in French football: say a player close to sign in Marseille that Lyon make a last minute offer (or vice versa).

The 2 clubs are fishing in the same ponds so it works every time, fans of each club accusing the opponent's managers to "steal" their ideas, kindergarten level of reasoning. It works every time.

I seriously doubt Lyon would be after him as the club have their share of hot prospects in defense (usually, this is not our main asset). We are seeking for an experienced player, I reckon. I guess Marseille would be a more plausible destination.
Last edited by Misko on Thu May 26, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claretnbleu
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by claretnbleu »

Misko wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:36 pm You may help me then as I am very unsure about Kephren Thuram. The moment I made my mind about him being a good player, he starts being woeful and vice versa. As I am not watching every game of Nice, I can't make my mind about him.
I'm no expert Misko, but my son rates him. Definitely blows a bit hot and cold, but I've seen his energy transform the team as a whole on a few occasions where he's been brought on as a sub.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Great thread, Misko - are you going to be covering midfielders and forwards too?
Misko

Post by Misko »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:20 am Great thread, Misko - are you going to be covering midfielders and forwards too?
I'm working on it. It takes time, I'm doing my best!