The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Up the Junction »

Related to Soton and James Ward-Prowse, it appears not all is well down at St Mary's right now...

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:49 pm Corriere di Verona have us "chasing" Giovanni Simeone. I cannot get on their site, but Hughballs has linked to it from SportWitness, who have found it from the Italians.
Cough... https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=137014
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Gsbgsb wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:48 pm No it does not.
I don't disagree with anything you just said, nor do I think it contradicts my take on him.

I absolutely think he'd be great here. But is he the priority over LB, over CF, over CB? Obviously not.

And we do need other players who can pass to compliment the likes of him. (Though honestly I've been crying out for better passers of the ball since we lost Jack Collison).

However, scoring goals was not our problem last year. Our problem was leaking goals, especially when holding on to leads or at the last minute of a match. Having a superb DM who can kill an attack dead, one with excellent pace, and who can help us keep the ball better will allow us to avoid giving up last-gasp goals and help an often overworked and overwhelmed defensive line.

As for Declan being better - dude, I'm a West Ham supporter. Of course I think Decs is better!
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

To be fair to Gerrard, he is used to the chequebook approach at Rangers. But I think he will fined the EPL a much tougher nut to crack due to the fact so many other teams are very strong. While players up north would have been in awe of him can the same be expected from very expensive signings in the Premier League?
The Straw
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

Villa have dropped £26m on yet another 29 year old to go along with Ings, Coutinho and Digne. What's the plan over there?
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am Thing with MLS is you have starting 11s with players that are below league two level playing along side good international players. The level of skill really varies from player to player.

Borre who scored for Frankfurt in the quarter, semis and final of the Europa league had narrowed it down to Toronto or Frankfurt when he signed last season. That is the standard of the some of the South Americans in MLS. Not top world class talents but still good footballers.

No clue if this bloke will succeed but it would be foolish to write him off for playing in MLS.
This definitely hasn't been true for several years, the average level of player has gone up a lot the last 3-5 years, it's more like the Championship at this point, the best teams have several players who could be in a top level European league, the worst players are in the League 1 tier.
HammerPDC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:20 am Outside of Jack Harrison who I believe was over there, can you tell me any other players that came from there to be good PL players?

I don't mean that in a saucy gotcha kinda way, I genuinely just don't know of any
Not a ton have come to England, probably in part because a lot of the better young players get snatched up by other European leagues before the player is likely to get a work permit here.

Almiron is one, he was good in MLS but an obvious luxury player, bit lightweight he's been mediocre but also starts most matches for a solidly mid-table club.
Steffen has been up and down, but he's trusted enough to be City's clear #2.
Harrison was mentioned.
A few coming in this upcoming year:
Aaronson signed with Leeds today after a short stint at Salzburg.
Trusty signed with Arsenal in the winter, but was left in MLS on loan until the summer.

The rest of Europe has some as well:
Davies for Bayern
Tyler Adams for Leipzig
Mckennie (may not count I think he may have never actually made an MLS appearance)
Frankowski joined Lens this year and was one of their best players (3rd in goals, 2nd in Assists)

Recently if you look at the transfers it looks like there is a surge in young MLS players being bought up by European clubs to develop:
Pepi to Ausburg ($18M), Paredes to Wolfsburg, Reynolds to Roma, Aaronson to Salzburg (who are making a nice little 5x profit on him after 1 year)
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

The Straw wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:11 pm Villa have dropped £26m on yet another 29 year old to go along with Ings, Coutinho and Digne. What's the plan over there?
Blimey, hadn't realised they were all as ancient as Digne - they're gonna absolutely smash the nursing home league.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

hammernsickle wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:02 pm I don't disagree with anything you just said, nor do I think it contradicts my take on him.

I absolutely think he'd be great here. But is he the priority over LB, over CF, over CB? Obviously not.

And we do need other players who can pass to compliment the likes of him. (Though honestly I've been crying out for better passers of the ball since we lost Jack Collison).

However, scoring goals was not our problem last year. Our problem was leaking goals, especially when holding on to leads or at the last minute of a match. Having a superb DM who can kill an attack dead, one with excellent pace, and who can help us keep the ball better will allow us to avoid giving up last-gasp goals and help an often overworked and overwhelmed defensive line.

As for Declan being better - dude, I'm a West Ham supporter. Of course I think Decs is better!
Again I do not disagree but for me the solution next year to our conceding goals is to tell Declan he has to sit far more and we play Soucek (if he is at the club) far more like we did last year. The subtle change in emphasis in CM this season, I believe, cost us at both ends of the pitch, we could have scored more and leaked less without it. However unless we make the fundamental change in style though I do not see Bissouma (or indeed Rice) as a replacement for Soucek in the role I would want Soucek to play.

Certainly if Bissouma was available for the rumoured £30m (or indeed if the budget stretched to it we had to pay the fee we were rumoured to have offered for Phillips who I do not believe is as good) I would want him because against the top teams he plays and helps with the defending, in every other match he is the option to close out a game, he covers if Rice or Soucek are injured or need resting in a way we simply could not this season. Lastly season after next he likely replaces Rice and he is one of the best alternatives to do so.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Garry wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:52 pm So we have villa doing crap next season do we how does anybody know they might be superb atleast they are getting there players in early . Let's not be jealous.
They splurged £100s of million every season, and every season we 'god look at Villa why aren't we run like them?' and every year their bog average.

Big money and high wages on players that wouldn't get near our team with the hindsight of how they've performed.

Wesley, Buendia, Bailey, Digne, Ings, Coutinho.

The latter three especially, older players on huge wages. And Carlos to join that cartel of nearly 30s on £100+k

Last summer a few clubs us included were talking to Southampton about Ings for a fee in the £20 million range and Villa kick the door in with a huge bid and huge wages when they already had Watkins who they'd spent £35 million on.

It's madness.
The Straw
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:16 pm Blimey, hadn't realised they were all as ancient as Digne - they're gonna absolutely smash the nursing home league.
Not saying 29 is really old. Just that it's going to be dead money in 2 or 3 years, and they are paying high fees. Strange strategy.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Lovejoy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:38 pm That’s your opinion that’s it’s a load of crap ain’t it einstein. I think they should have been cut some slack last season personally, they lost their captain, talisman & easily their best player. Yeah they spent that money but I think losing Grealish was always gonna knock ‘em for six a bit, it could easily happen to us when we lose Rice or any other side if they lost someone so influential. But you have to hand it to em for the way they seem prepared to back Gerrard, will it work who knows but fair play for giving it another crack.
It’s not my opinion, the league table is proof. They have a net spend of 275 million since coming up.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

The Straw wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:20 pm Not saying 29 is really old. Just that it's going to be dead money in 2 or 3 years, and they are paying high fees. Strange strategy.
Wasn't a dig at you! Claiming Digne was close to pensionable age was a common theme on here when we were linked and people clocked he was already 29.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think McGinn would be a good signing from them though.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

The Straw wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:11 pm Villa have dropped £26m on yet another 29 year old to go along with Ings, Coutinho and Digne. What's the plan over there?
Try and accelerate to the European places I imagine and then replace all these players with the next tier up.

It is easy to laugh as they are massively overpaying, but what else can a team without European football do?
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2952 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

They're pushing.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Is Diego Carlos the CB who Newcastle were desperately trying to sign in Jan?
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2952 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:20 pm
It's madness.
Last summer they sold a homegrown talent on a 100m profit.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:33 pm Last summer they sold a homegrown talent on a 100m profit.
And even with that their net spend since promotion is £300 million, to finish 14th.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:57 pm Related to Soton and James Ward-Prowse, it appears not all is well down at St Mary's right now...
If I was still a betting man, I’d go pretty big on them going down next season.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

If we are picking up Villas cast offs I'd gladly take John McGinn.

Watkins is an interesting one because his finishing is pretty poor but he does get into good positions, works hard for the team and is a real handful. £20-25m player at best but worth a go IMO