The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Lord Zoltan »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:11 pm Again, hard disagree. If you have two options and one is likely to not lose you money on the punt, that should be a big factor.

You have to be playing the market a bit, there’s too many things that can wrong in a transfer not to.

You say losing £5m to us is big to us, and that’s exactly why thinking about what comes next matters. You pay attention to the possible recoup and it’s not earning you 7.5m, it’s taking it from a loss of 15 to a loss of 7.5.

People don’t want KLP because he’d make us back the money if it fails. They want him cos he looks good enough, has potential and we’d make that money back if it doesn’t work.

And transfers can fail for reasons well beyond a manager’s control. What you can recoup mitigates that.
But that is why we have to be more circumspect with buying potential than say a Sky 6 club. They can afford the gamble far more.

They have brought loads of players “with potential” for considerable sums, with the younger ones loaned them out to see if they develop and to recover part of the outlay as a bonus, then moved them on if they fail. Werner’s “failure” for them (if it proves to be) is far less damaging to the club than Haller’s for us for example yet both cost about the same. The very fact that they have a Sky 6 club on their CV also means the outgoing fee will be inflated.

We need to buy the player solely focused on their immediate use for us not this idea of “getting the money back if they fail”.

If KLP is a hard fail then we might get 50% back, we gambled on Vlasic this season, he has not looked good and there are already people advocating selling for half the fee. Some would be happy to take a loss on Benny, we got little more than 50% on Haller and peanuts on Anderson - all unproven at PL level thus a players with potential and, subsequently, perceived failures for us.

I am not suggesting we do not look at younger players here or abroad or that we do not invest in players from outside the PL but there has to be a balance between buying proven PL players and those who are not. Buy too many of the latter and not only might your performance levels drop off but also your ability to deal in subsequent windows.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If we were going to sign a young Austrian striker, I'd much rather go for Sasa Kalajdzic
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:06 pm If we were going to sign a young Austrian striker, I'd much rather go for Sasa Kalajdzic
Or just get Arnie back. (I realise he's not exactly 'young', of course :smiler: )
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I get wilko's point and have to agree (always with a caveat that someone's going to pull somone out of their ass and prove the point wrong)

say we sell Benni this summer.

we paid let's say 20M for easy sums..say we get 15M back.

all players iirc are valued over the length of their contract. so if again for easy sums, we have a 4 year deal for Benni, he's already had 10M wiped off his book value. 2 years @ 5M per year valuation for the books.

we get anything over 10M and we're actually "in profit."

as I say this is using figure for easy sums and to purely illustrate a point.

you can't just look at we paid 20M we get 15M we've "lost" 5M.

of course, you pay 40M valued over 4 years that's 10M per year book value and then you sell for 10M after 2 years, even wiping out his book value you've lost money. but you still haven't exactly "lost" 30M.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Only West Ham would sell a player with Benrahma’s goals and assists for less than they paid for him when he hadn’t kicked a ball in the premier league.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

NWhammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:58 pm Only West Ham would sell a player with Benrahma’s goals and assists for less than they paid for him when he hadn’t kicked a ball in the premier league.
I wasn't advocating the sale of Benni, hope this wasn't in response to my post.

merely adding a name we signed from the Fizzy who we could possibly sell to another promoted team or even a team with the hope of promotion next season and needed something "extra."

I like him and that "type" of player who gets bums out of seats.

hope it clears it up.

:newthumb:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

TBF, they should have a normal budget of about £60m plus Europa money. Must be somewhere close to £100m, certainly at least £80m+

If they need to top up Mausaku (£5m) Vlasic (£15m-£20m) and Diop (£15m) are the obvious candidates, due to performance or contracts running down.

Benrahma should stay next year.

Things only change if there is such a radical overhaul that previously needed players can go.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Sell Benrahma for £15m :crylol:
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

Mickey_WHU wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:21 pm
I know there's going to be a lot of speculation, but I've seen how this plays out way too many times, and it mainly ends with frustration.

Maybe it is a little too early for alarm bells to really start ringing, and there obviously is a long way to go yet.

It's just these owners have done nothing in the past to fill me with any confidence, and a lot of the same things are being said by the same sources.

Here's hoping this turns out differently, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised! :crestnew:
I do feel your pain even if I am struggling to try not to be quite that cynical yet. Certainly when one hears from C&H that Moyes is struggling to find value in the market for a striker one can’t help but think it’s Déjà vu all over again.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Romford_Iron wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:31 pm Sell Benrahma for £15m :crylol:
another one who doesn't read what's written...

:asleep:

IT WAS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TRANSFER FEES ARE LOADED OVER THE DURATION OF ANY PLAYER'S CONTRACT.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Romford_Iron wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:31 pm Sell Benrahma for £15m :crylol:
Involved in more goals this season than £50 million Watkins!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cuenca is right in terms of the accounting.

If we buy a player's registration for £25m on a 5 year contract, the accounting value of his registration drops by £5m a year.

After 1 yr - remaining value is £20m (we've used up £5m worth of the registration in year one)
After 2 - £15m
After 3 - £10m
After 4 - £5m.

So if we sell the player after two years the reference amount for profit/loss is the £15m that is left , not the £25m we originally paid for a brand new player.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:06 pm If we were going to sign a young Austrian striker, I'd much rather go for Sasa Kalajdzic
That is the big lad who is still reasonably quick isn't it? Think I signed him on football manager once
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Judging Weghorst purely on Burnley is very shortsighted. His overall record is excellent. He would certainly offer a different style to the team that could make him a useful tool.

He actually put in some very good performances for Burnley even if he did not score a lot of goals.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

We need pace, Weghorst is too slow. Even slower than Vlasic
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If we were looking for an intelligent striker that was good in the air but wasn't blessed with much in the way of pace....

How about Belotti?
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

norse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:56 pm We need pace, Weghorst is too slow. Even slower than Vlasic
Yeah, he’s a big lump. Could be a useful bench player or battering ram.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:04 pm If we were looking for an intelligent striker that was good in the air but wasn't blessed with much in the way of pace....

How about Belotti?
Belotti is actually not that big. Not the be all and end all of course.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

After tomorrow all European club will be done for the year. It’s possible we and others are waiting too see the impact or tonight’s champions league final and tomorrow’s playoff final before making concrete plans. Interesting that Luca Jovic and Mariano Diaz dont even make Real’s bench.