The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Doyley72 »

VeniceHammer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:27 pm I don’t care. The lad hasn’t played competitive football in more than a year, and the purple patch he had with us was a mixture of luck/will to get in the England squad/pride. He will never, ever, ever get back to that kind of form. And I worry dearly that GSB will look at a window of aguerd, areola and lingard ad a great one and stop right there.
I sort of agree to a point...I never rated Lingard and always looked at him as more interested in his social media and funny hand shakes to celebrate a goal than actually getting his head down and playing football....however he proved me wrong in them first couple of months where he was quality. He gave us speed going forward and was always positive with the ball. It was great seeing a player running at the opposition defence.

However, the last month he was pretty awful...maybe because he knew that he wasn't coming back or something but I thought then, he just went through a purple patch..

Maybe he has an eye on the England squad and will hit that purple patch again? He seems to have a good connection with Moyes and gets on with Rice etc..

I know there will be a signing on fee and he will be on big wages but at least there isn't a huge fee to pay a "club"...

If he can recapture that first two months form rather than the last few games then it's a yes from me..⚒
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

VeniceHammer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:23 pm I cannot express in words how strongly I am against signing lingard. If it happens he will be a disastrous flop and you can quote me on this. We should have moved on a year ago.
Fair enough. I’d trust Moyes’ judgement to sound out those concerns before signing on the line. Completely understand the concern though.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

With Rice, Bowen and Lingard we win a cup.

The World Cup.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1379 likes
Total likes: 999 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I think consistency is his biggest problem. We need to accept he will blow hot and cold.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Doyley72 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 pm However, the last month he was pretty awful...maybe because he knew that he wasn't coming back or something but I thought then, he just went through a purple patch..
To my eyes he was getting double-marked and we didn't have the firepower in other areas of the pitch to take advantage of it. Teams also started sitting deeper, which nullified his strengths somewhat. But that is also due to the fact we lacked a creative playmaker, and continue to do so. The wheels really fell off when Rice got injured as we just didn't have the solidity to get those extra couple of points that would have seen us finish higher without him.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1162 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I wasn’t that strongly in favour of Lingard first time round. Was obviously wrong.

I was then not particularly in favour of spending over £20m on him last summer or in January when that was the alleged asking price from Man Utd.

However I then spent the second half of the season repeatedly thinking ‘we could do with someone like Lingard in this game’.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

We scored 60 goals last season and 62 before that, putting aside our need to solidify at the back (Aguerd and a starting left back) we need roughly the same amount to standstill and roughly 65-70 goals to push on.

Across the 38 league games I think we need roughly 40-45 goals from our top 3 players.

Fornals/Lingard - Antonio/Broja - Bowen

Across 38 games and with rest for certain players those 5 will give us the goals we need.

Moyes knows what he's doing.
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

There’s money to be spent (if we actually do have it) better than into lingard signing on fee and wages. Kokcu, Pellegrini and broja would do us a world of good, and the quoted 6M signing on fee we should fork out for Jesse could be easily diverted on one of the three above
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:47 pm I think consistency is his biggest problem. We need to accept he will blow hot and cold.
Was he that bad in the last few games? Or did he just not reach the early standards he had set? I don't know. Without him we would have win maybe half the games we did.

To me he still looked like he had an element of class. Little balls played out wide from just outside the area. Dangerous pace.

The reality is all of our players have games where they are ****. Some had quite a few second half of the season. The truly great/strong teams just always have enough top quality that one of them sorts it out and does the business.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

anyone else thinking we sign JLingz we don't go with a CF ?

I am for one........
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

No chance that Lingard repeats the performances he had with us on loan with the same consistency, but he’d still be a huge upgrade for us.

I’m all for it. Another boost to the overall quality of the squad, another homegrown player and someone we know fits the dressing room.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:03 pm anyone else thinking we sign JLingz we don't go with a CF ?

I am for one........
Only if we also sign someone who can play Bowen's position.

It feels as though we are lining up Sarr, Broja and En-Nesyri - all big, pacy players - and we will take one of those.

If we get Sarr, Bowen can play CF which he is very adept at , albeit playing in a different way to Antonio and more akin to a Vardy. I actually think Bowen's best position will ultimately be as a #9.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:48 pm To my eyes he was getting double-marked and we didn't have the firepower in other areas of the pitch to take advantage of it. Teams also started sitting deeper, which nullified his strengths somewhat. But that is also due to the fact we lacked a creative playmaker, and continue to do so. The wheels really fell off when Rice got injured as we just didn't have the solidity to get those extra couple of points that would have seen us finish higher without him.
Yeah I think he got sussed out a bit..that why ots important that he isn't the only signing, especially with 5 subs, we need to change things and have different options. It's not going to happen but if we did have a playmaker someone with pinpoint passing for say Lingard and Bowen to use their pace and intelligent while playing off someone like Broja or En-Nesyri whose intelligent runs make space and with Rice and Soucek dominating then it could be exciting...someone like JWP maybe?

Plus if we capture Dennis or Sarr or Lewis-Porter as options to come on and shake it up?

That would be something...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:08 pm Only if we also sign someone who can play Bowen's position.

It feels as though we are lining up Sarr, Broja and En-Nesyri - all big, pacy players - and we will take one of those.

If we get Sarr, Bowen can play CF which he is very adept at , albeit playing in a different way to Antonio and more akin to a Vardy. I actually think Bowen's best position will ultimately be as a #9.
don't know mate. I'd love a CF a TRUE CF. but... Lingard would fill a void, maybe move around the others, and Bowen up top. Moyes already said he couldn't find a better CF than Bowen in Jan.

we need to STOP crossing the bloody so much unless we can find a bigger CF who's good with his noggin.

not sure about En Neysri. saw him in La Liga and don't remember a swath of goals he scored with his head. got pace that's for sure. get the ball more in behind with Lingard perhaps ?

that would be a better option for me if Moyes wanted to do that. look how positive it was against City. lots of teams though don't play a high line against us other than those up the sharp end of the league. so we do need to find a much better option it seems because a lot of teams at least imvho, seemed to sit back and actually "West Ham" us.......
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1515 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Firstly, Lingard is a massive upgrade on Yarmolenko on probably not ludicrously higher wages

Secondly, he has a very good relationship with Rice

It’s unlikely he’ll get anywhere near his previous return, but he will still be a hell of a signing.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

All players go through good and bad spells. Having a squad will allow us to be better prepared to rotate.

JLingz will probably not repeat those levels but with a World Cup coming up he might want to give Gareth something to think about which can only be good for us.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

We need an attacking midfielder and with the other holes we need to fill I can see the appeal of Lingard at £2m a year plus wages.

He’ll never be as good as he was in that spell, but if his head is right and we get flashes of it then all good if it means more money for better players elsewhere.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:15 pm don't know mate. I'd love a CF a TRUE CF. but... Lingard would fill a void, maybe move around the others, and Bowen up top. Moyes already said he couldn't find a better CF than Bowen in Jan.

we need to STOP crossing the bloody so much unless we can find a bigger CF who's good with his noggin.

not sure about En Neysri. saw him in La Liga and don't remember a swath of goals he scored with his head. got pace that's for sure. get the ball more in behind with Lingard perhaps ?

that would be a better option for me if Moyes wanted to do that. look how positive it was against City. lots of teams though don't play a high line against us other than those up the sharp end of the league. so we do need to find a much better option it seems because a lot of teams at least imvho, seemed to sit back and actually "West Ham" us.......
I think we will go for Sarr or Broja because they've both played over here. They are both a very good age and a good physical profile to imitate Antonio or Arnautovic - players Moyes has trusted implicitly as his CF. I think the price and wages will be okay by us.

Obviously Sarr offers the option of Bowen up top and Sarr wide right.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Obviously nothing I can do to prove it either way but being at the Frankfurt game in particular and just generally in that back end of the season, I did personally feel that we would’ve won the Europa League if we had Lingard.

He has that extra know-how and ability to make things happen in attacking midfield that only Bowen has for us.

He won’t put up the numbers at the rate he did during his loan spell. It will still be a great signing if it happens.

Instantly one of our best 5 players the moment he signs.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

What is it about Lingard that winds people up? He had an astonishingly good 10 games or so, followed by an average 5 games (he didn’t stink the place out, he just didn’t maintain the impossibly high standard he’d set).

He left to return to his parent, boyhood club, having shown us nothing but respect. It wasn’t his fault that Man U refused to sell and (apparently) made him promises and then left him to rot on the bench for a year.

And now, as a free agent, of course he’s going to try to get the best possible deal that he can.

I’d be delighted to have him back. I don’t expect him to repeat his previous feats - that would be unrealistic - but he’s proven himself a game changer, offers us something different to what we have, and appears to be great for the dressing room. And Dec likes him.