The Allardyce years

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 1257 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Re: The Allardyce years

Post by Colours never run »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:31 pm Not sure anyone is saying they wanted his contract renewed mind.

Slav was the right man for that last season at the Boleyn not him.
Yep, to be fair to the owners they at least got the timing perfect for bringing in Allardyce and spot on in letting him go by getting in the right man after him again. Rare moment of excellent management of the situation but they managed to achieve it. 😮
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

I look on those years as a job that needed doing.

Another manager could have achieved the same outcome, serving up some better football. Another manager could have achieved the same outcome serving up worse football; we'll never know.

Whatever we all feel, I think we are where we are in part, thanks to him.

I was never his biggest fan, but then again, I don't he was our biggest fan. I certainly didn't hate him.
Prob
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by Prob »

A lot of fans didn’t want him from day 1. Mind your many of those also didn’t want Moyes 1st or 2nd time. Which didn’t help the cause of the reactions we saw from him. Plus many outside couldn’t understand it when he got us back at the first time of asking and kept us up.

The ball wasn’t pretty but nor was the football before. He was the right man for the job at the time. He couldn’t take us any further and always felt like he was doing us a favour by being here.

His actions around transfers and agents was awful but that is nothing new in football, he was just a bit spoken about regarding it. Every manager at every level from the top down is involved with agents like that.
ironilunga
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 473 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Coops wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:27 pmI would rather have had another season in the Championship than had him anywhere near our club.
This has got a bit of a ‘little red hen’ vibe about it.

Many fans didn’t want to support Allardyce when he was stabilising West Han as a premier league club. However, all are now enjoying the fruits yielded from this period of transition.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Rio »

Came with a stigma attached to him, something that many wouldn’t and still won’t let go.

Many will still rather remember the darker days, than the lighter.

He was for me the right man, at the right time. Promoted, stabilised, got us moving in the right direction. He got a tune out of a lot of players. And many of those talk very favourably about him. He tried to modernise the off field aspect of our set up and let’s not forget he had to deal with GSB at probably their mist GSBness.

Was it pretty every game? No. Was it pretty every game under every other manager? No. It’s still not under Moyes.

He’s a divisive character Sam, but I liked him as a bloke, I liked what he did for us. When the parting of the ways came, it was the right time. I hate to say it but it’s the fans who ultimately dictated that. He did what he could amidst discontent, division and mismanagement at higher levels.
bubbles1966
Has liked: 581 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

He had one bad season with us, and the events of that season did for him more than anything, imo.

He spent almost all the budget on Carroll who promptly got injured, whilst releasing Sir Carlton prematurely. The club had an injury crisis and was facing relegation which led to successive humiliations at Forest in the cup and the 0-9 v Man City in the cup semi.

However, the following year the club were top 4 at Xmas and top 6 when the transfer window opened having rolled over Liverpool and Man City at ours. The owners let it drift though.

That year was the building block for Slaven's first, and it's worth remembering that over that two year period we were almost constantly at the top end of the league and we were reaching the latter stages of cups - the semi v Man City, then the de facto final v Man Utd in the FA Cup 6th round. What's going on now hasn't been a million miles from that period.

Some didn't like his way of talking; some sympathised with his views on how romanticised - deluded was his choice of words - some supporters saw the way we played.

The bloke was clearly competent though.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

As humans, we seem to automatically focus on the negatives. Granted, there were some low moments, some dross brought in and some right shithousery from the man himself with the ear cupping etc.

But, he was certainly exactly what we needed at the time and on the whole done an extraordinary job at re-establishing us as a solid premier league team. Laying the foundations for where we are today.

There were also a lot of high points; The play off final, away wins at spurs, the mockery of Mourinho and Chico Flores, brining in one of the greatest captains I’ve seen in my lifetime in Nolan… like it or not, he was a success. And deserves respect for that.
alf git
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by alf git »

Glad when he arrived.
Glad he got us promotion.
Glad when he left.

That's it really.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

alf git wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:48 pm Glad when he arrived.
Glad he got us promotion.
Glad when he left.

That's it really.
For my entry, change the first one to ‘one of my lowest points’ and the last one to ‘celebrated with wild abandon’
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I liked him, thought he did a cracking job with the resources afforded to and agree with some others that he didn't get the credit from a portion of our fans that he deserved.

Given the squad he had to work with and the budgets available to get players in, there was always going to be a limitation on the football style we played.

I can't remember the actual stats, but remember seeing something on TV at the time that showed that this hoofball stuff wasn't actually as bad as being made out.

We could have easily have stayed in the championship and ended up like Sunderland, Bolton, Boro etc., So can't really complain with how it went IMO.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Also, if it hasn't been done already on this thread can someone post the gif of him laughing at Swansea's Chico please, that always tickled me.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 731 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

For a short spell, when we had the diamond formation with Downing at the tip and Sakho and Valencia up front, we looked really really good. If my memory is correct, Nolan and Carroll were out injured during that little spell. As soon as they came back, they were shoehorned back in to the side. Downing was pushed back to the right wing and Valencia started getting used as a left winger. We should have stuck with what was working so well.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Some managers, rightly or wrongly, just don’t fit at a club in the eyes of many. Instinct is to like Big Sam despite his flaws. The brief England tenure was embarrassing.
Tezza65
Has liked: 276 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:14 pm For a short spell, when we had the diamond formation with Downing at the tip and Sakho and Valencia up front, we looked really really good. If my memory is correct, Nolan and Carroll were out injured during that little spell. As soon as they came back, they were shoehorned back in to the side. Downing was pushed back to the right wing and Valencia started getting used as a left winger. We should have stuck with what was working so well.
That's exactly what happened and that was his downfall..Rumour has it ,he never signed Sakho or Valencia(Sullivan did),so he was reluctant to use them.

Nolan and Carroll got injured and they come in and we didn't look back.We were fluent ,had pace and looked a decent side.I can remember us being 3rd in the table,when he restored back to type one and it all went tits up!
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 122 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

A football murdering dinosaur.

Who took over the worst squad in our history. Got rid of 22 players. Bought in 16 of his own. All in about 4 months. Changed the whole mood of the place for the better according to many who worked at the club (inc the 1st team coach driver)

Got us promoted. When you take all that into account I believe he was one of out best ever managers. But I was one of many booing at the Wigan game (we won 1-0)
Glad when he left.
Mullhull
Has liked: 186 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Yes, he got us promoted.
Yes, he solidified us in the Premier League

And he deserves respect for that.

But the incident with Ravel Morrison highlights why a lot of us do not like him as a person (Kevin Nolan was involved in this too) the incident I refer to is pushing players towards one particular agent...

Mark Curtis.

There is an interview with Nolan where Allardyce contacted Mark Curtis before we had made any contact with Newcastle where Allardyce asked him if Nolan would come to West Ham, Curtis asked how much and got a 5 year deal at £50k a week.

I'm not saying that wasn't a good deal, I'm just always left wondering did Allardyce pocket anything from it? I suspect he did but of course I have no proof. Curtis has a long sheet of incidents to his name within football and a lot of that time he's been best pals with Allardyce.

Mark Curtis was with Allardyce demanding £150k a pop in that Telegraph sting that cost him his dream England job.

Vermin. This tells you all about the guy, I remember Peter Harrison going off about them on Twitter at the time also. Mark Curtis Controversy

As for Allardyce going on about the West Ham Way which he said, is playing good football and losing (I think Shankly said the same but it was more of a compliment from him) calling us deluded and we talk b*llocks etc

He never endeared himself to us, his football wasn't always awful but like others had said he had a stigma attached to him that he could never shake.

I don't like him as a person, but appreciate what he did for us in football.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 614 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Bit of a mixed bag then.

Hope his wife still doesn't read the site.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Although I can't say for certain and despite DL's assertion of events, it seems a few of us recollect the abandonment of the diamond approach in the same way. To his credit, that was some brilliant football in stark contrast to the norm expected where the football was at best, basic.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

Big Sam came and left at the right time. At times, the football was dull but it was a lot better than the pointless tippy tappy stuff played by a team with no backbone.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 712 likes
Total likes: 485 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I defended him for the most part on the footballing front throughout his tenure (was never as bad as some made out) and the often adversarial relationship he had with us fans didn’t bother me at all.

Did a good job overall and had us competing at a similar level to Moyes with the Downing Diamond. Board ****ed him and us in that January window, just like Slav later on.

Let himself down with the Ravel/Curtis stuff though. Pulling those kind of strokes has and always will be his Achilles heel.