The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by YorksHammer »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 pm They sure do. That doesn't stop us from making an exception for having 1 though, if the right one was identified on big wages.
Not really that simple, though. Revenue for 20/21 was £193m, wage bill was £129m. The new FFP is set to cap wages as 70% of revenue, I believe, which is £135m for us. That's the level which is also seen as sustainable for a football club to operate at.

So yeah, one mega signing earning £200k a week looks great on paper. It also puts us about £4m above this level. Granted we've shifted some wages already, with probably something like £300k a week gone between Noble, Yarmolenko, Fredericks, and Kral. But the margin is pretty tight, and if we want to make other signings and not risk financial issues - from FFP or otherwise - that big signing could have repercussions.

It's also why you hear about clubs not being able to keep missing out on European competition - they've bet the house on continued income from those, which ties to wages they've agreed with players.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

A player of a Jesus/Sterling calibre could well be the deciding difference between where we currently stand in the table and a top 4 spot.

You put either on the opposite flank to Bowen with Antonio and possibly a Broja supporting, then you really do begin to motor going forward as a team racking up the goals. Depending on the right type of player like those mentioned, I personally think they would be worth the extra bunsen. If we're looking at costly signings like Prowse, then why not go a little further on wages and go for a major game changer? Just a thought to try and progress us as a Club..
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 pm They sure do. That doesn't stop us from making an exception for having 1 though, if the right one was identified on big wages.
fair enough and just in the context of discussion.

Jesus comes in at say a "paper figure" of 250K per.

I'm one of their players who has played a part in them coming say for argument 4th.

how does Saka now feel ? skipper Xaka ? Ramsdale ?

happens here. we know Rice has refused 3 contract offers. I say know because there's been leaks so let's just say for argument, it's correct.

we sign "x" for 250K per. I'm Bowen. I'm knocking on the bosses door if not for parity they at least 50% more than I'm making now. Soucek who did a great job in turning this club around when he came here both with his play and work ethic. knocking on the door. Antonio who has just signed an extension, in the queue. Coufal ? I'm up there too. harder now to convince Rice to sign a contract he's already "reportedly" turned down 200K per.

it's just a domino effect. I CAN understand clubs looking at a wage "reality."

we need to be getting at least 7-10M per season in sponsorship on the shirts. naming rights for the stadium at around 5M plus (which can't happen I understand with the LS).

wonder what Arsenal get for their Rwanda ads ?

The statistic shows the revenue Arsenal FC generated from its jersey sponsorship deal from the 2009/10 season to the 2021/22 season. In 2018, Arsenal closed out a deal with Emirates for 200 million British pounds over five years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/254 ... onsorship/

Before they became sponsored by Betway, West Ham were sponsored by Alpari, a Swiss company. However, at the start of 2015, Alpari went into liquidation, meaning that they the London-based club were left without any type of sponsor. It did not take West Ham long though to strike up a three and a half year £20 million deal with Betway, which became West Ham’s biggest ever commercial deal.

there's some of the reasons right there......

https://westhamworld.co.uk/a-closer-loo ... th-betway/
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

I have a handy wage bill summary from last season, but I have no idea how to attach photos to these threads.

Arsenal spend £81 million a season, West Ham are about £60 million.

Man United spend £208 million.

There is a healthy amount of your turnover you should be spending per year on wages and so we couldn’t go too much higher than what we do without putting lots of money In externally.

Kieran Maguire the football finance guru is pretty interesting with this stuff.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I'd rather players came here and worked towards earning that wage bracket. If Rice was to accept £200k I think the whole squad would deem it to be deserved and exception rather than the rule. If Bowen repeats his season I'd expect him to be bumped up closer to that figure.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Actually I'm glad you brought up Declan rice as it actually proves we ARE prepared as a Club to pay big boys money on the right player. £200,000 a week on a 10 year contract was the latest offer on the table and quite frankly I think that's fair for his world class talent in todays market. So we do have the money, we do have the will when it's there, I'm also questioning maybe we could and should also go for say a Sterling/Jesus/Other high calibre Striker/Forward. Nut they do have to be the real deal very well proven with a great track record mind.

I don't understand the notion we should only really entertain paying those kind of wages to those already here though. I have no problems at all spending it on proven talent elsewhere and wouldn't understand players already here getting the hump because they're not in that top class bracket themselves.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:21 pm
however, I do get the impression that he thinks he's VVD. and he ain't.
Really, what makes you think that?

Maguire seems the polar opposite to what you’re suggesting, if any thing he comes across very grounded. That’s one of the season everyone use to like him so much when he played for England before he moved to Man U. Since then he’s had a target on his back and taken a hell of a lot of abuse.

Personally I feel sorry for him, he seems like a nice bloke who has unfortunately found himself a target for many.

As for his performances, he’s no where near a £80m centre back but if he played for someone like us he’d be one of our best players. Let’s not forget he was in the team of the Euros, he’s really not as bad as some people make out, but his lack of pace of the mark is a problem.
Colours never run

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 pm Not really that simple, though. Revenue for 20/21 was £193m, wage bill was £129m. The new FFP is set to cap wages as 70% of revenue, I believe, which is £135m for us. That's the level which is also seen as sustainable for a football club to operate at.

So yeah, one mega signing earning £200k a week looks great on paper. It also puts us about £4m above this level. Granted we've shifted some wages already, with probably something like £300k a week gone between Noble, Yarmolenko, Fredericks, and Kral. But the margin is pretty tight, and if we want to make other signings and not risk financial issues - from FFP or otherwise - that big signing could have repercussions.

It's also why you hear about clubs not being able to keep missing out on European competition - they've bet the house on continued income from those, which ties to wages they've agreed with players.
Yeah that's all fair enough, to coin another phrase. I'm not privy to whether we could manage it or not but I am asking the question to see if it could and should be a possibility. The Davea do tend to operate in the parameters of their financial powers and aren't daft enough to ruin it all. But even saying that, it doesn't sit well when Clubs like Everton take the piss and seemingly got caught out by doing just that, over spending yet still get away with it! Now had that have been us.....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

stu1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 pm Really, what makes you think that?

Maguire seems the polar opposite to what you’re suggesting, if any thing he comes across very grounded. That’s one of the season everyone use to like him so much when he played for England before he moved to Man U. Since then he’s had a target on his back and taken a hell of a lot of abuse.

Personally I feel sorry for him, he seems like a nice bloke who has unfortunately found himself a target for many.

As for his performances, he’s no where near a £80m centre back but if he played for someone like us he’d be one of our best players. Let’s not forget he was in the team of the Euros, he’s really not as bad as some people make out, but his lack of pace of the mark is a problem.
I've said maybe elsewhere, that I think he does great for England.

we've only got the "papers" drip drip drip about how he comes across at ManU, from the dressing room stuff it doesn't "read" well but when I see him on the field for them, he seems to me (difficuly only to judge on tv appearances) he comes across as a complete dick. blaming others when he makes a mistake. gets hit on the arm, falls down clutching his head (last England game) but I've seen him do that for them. what about the holiday incident with his brother wasn't it ?

not the appearance of a humble well grounded individual.

again I've said that he's not responsible for what was paid for him. not his fault in any way shape or form. he's a very good CB in the PL. the best of the best ? not really. Dawson was a much better player last year for me. now there's a player (again with the caveat of watching on the telly) who I think is a fabulous PL player. honest as the day is long. and I'm hoping that's not with C & B specs. never looks to point a finger. holds his hand up when he cocks up. pats team mates on the back when they do well.

anyway, just discussion and enjoy others input as well put together valid views

:newthumb:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:04 am Yeah that's all fair enough, to coin another phrase. I'm not privy to whether we could manage it or not but I am asking the question to see if it could and should be a possibility. The Davea do tend to operate in the parameters of their financial powers and aren't daft enough to ruin it all. But even saying that, it doesn't sit well when Clubs like Everton take the piss and seemingly got caught out by doing just that, over spending yet still get away with it! Now had that have been us.....
think that's why they have to look at flogging Richarlason et al...........

only from what I read........it's been in the papers as to how they're going to be battered, despite their claiming their "innoncence."

we'll see but I get where you're coming from. we'd be nailed on dead certs....
Colours never run

Ahh I didn't think of that regarding all this Richarlison sale talk that it would be connected to their financial misdemeanours as a way of making amends a little.

I can't pretend I've kept up to date with the latest FFP as it gets confusing unless you have all the details laid out in front of you...

So it's a wage bill allowance of 70% of a Clubs turnover then? Is there exceptions that navigate this, like say a homegrown players wage not calculated tbe same because they came up through the ranks? That kind of thing and just a guess at this point.

It is an important discussion as it's connected to how we operate in the Summer window prioritising this and that because of it all.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Does ffp apply to city ?
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:54 pm You would hope that we’ve been working on the other key positions in the background. As it stands we have only improved at Centre Back, so plenty of work still to do.

Left Back and Striker the next ones for me. Widjnal and Jonathan David for me please.

Left Winger I’d like to see us rival (and beat) Newcastle to Moussa Diaby of Leverkusen.
Wijndal is nailed on for Ajax unfortunately
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

I honestly think having a rock solid defence will have a bigger impact than Jesus or Sterling. Gives you the platform to compete with anyone.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I'm baffled why posters are naive enough to assume Aguerd is already a top player.

We don't know that yet. Nobody does. If your wisdom is based upon his fee....what did you think of vlasic?
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:30 am I'm baffled why posters are naive enough to assume Aguerd is already a top player.

We don't know that yet. Nobody does. If your wisdom is based upon his fee....what did you think of vlasic?
Just because Vlasic didn't work here doesn't mean he isn't a top player. The same could be said about Haller.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

to be honest I was worried about vlasic as he failed previously. hopefully we can shift soon.
augerd looks decent for rennes so I hope he can form a very good partnership with zouma coufal and our new left back !

if we are not getting JWP and we shouldnt pay 75m for him then our other targets seem within range for our perceived budget.

areola 8m done
augerd 25m done
basey 15m
brownhill 8m
lingard "free"
dennis 18m
broja 30m
total 104m
less masuaka5m vlasic 15m
84m net spend.
need to keep diop soucek and benrahma
add coventry ashby longello alese perkins and okoflex to squad. review all in january.

This would give us a decent squad and able to rotate players with quality on the bench.

the next positions we need in are LB and CF
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

SiamHammer wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:34 am Wijndal is nailed on for Ajax unfortunately
Without any disrespect to a club like Ajax, we should be a bigger draw than Ajax these days. We should be signing players from Ajax.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

I was surprised to see Szoboszlai linked with Marseille and Real Sociedad
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Rozzop wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 pm I may be in the minority but i have never really rated Fabs that much.
Probably gets discounted for the position he plays but I think Fabianski is low-key one of the best players I’ve seen play for us in our recent history. He’s not up there in the rarified strata with your Payets and Di Canios, but that level below of strong performers over a sustained period of time? He’s right there.

How many players can stitch together 4 or 5 seasons in a West Ham defence while having barely anyone gunning for them to be replaced? It’s miraculous.

Saw off a manager by getting injured too.