Gareth Bale signs for Los Angeles fc [non WHU]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

'stone hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: Gareth Bale signs for Los Angeles fc

Post by 'stone hammer »

WCpete wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:09 am I doubt there's that much of a difference between the championship and the MLS in quality
You think so Pete? I've never watched the MLS. Normally players, at least from the European leagues, seem to go there to retire so it's been (probably wrongly) assumed that it's a bit of a doss league.

Certainly my first thought was 'cop out' when I heard Bale's going to LA. I don't really blame him though, he's won trophies and earned a shedload.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Re: Gareth Bale signs for Los Angeles fc [non WHU]

Post by Het-Field »

Load of old cobblers about a wasted career. Took the gutsy move in 2013 and played there for the guys of a decade. High points include the CL Final in 2018. He also will have been integral to the Welsh golden generation.

“If I was him…” is all well and good, except we’re not him. He’s had an excellent career and any scratch of the surface disproves a lot of the nonsense spoken about him.
Bradfordpaul
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Bradfordpaul »

Seems a very sensible move to me. At Cardiff, he would have been a target for every clogger out to make a name for themselves. At LAFC, he'll be able to focus on his fitness, with less chance of injury. He's near the end of his career, and doesn't need the (physical) hassle.
WCpete
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 387 likes

Re: Gareth Bale signs for Los Angeles fc

Post by WCpete »

'stone hammer wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:31 pm You think so Pete? I've never watched the MLS. Normally players, at least from the European leagues, seem to go there to retire so it's been (probably wrongly) assumed that it's a bit of a doss league.

Certainly my first thought was 'cop out' when I heard Bale's going to LA. I don't really blame him though, he's won trophies and earned a shedload.
I don't watch the MLS, so I can't give an educated answer. I've heard players who have moved to the MLS say that, but don't ask me who because I don't recall specifically. Regardless, all Bale needs really is to keep fit. He's proven that over and over again. He'll get that in LA.
e17
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 436 likes

Post by e17 »

His trophy haul probably eclipses our entire squads.

I suspect he’ll retire, in LA, a fairly happy man.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 736 likes
Total likes: 548 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

e17 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:20 pm His trophy haul probably eclipses our entire squads.

Probably?!
HammerAl
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Just because he’s not as professional or dedicated as Ronaldo, it doesn’t make him a fraud. Some players aren’t bothered about being the best ever, or even the best they can be.

He won loads of trophies, earned himself some excellent contracts at Madrid and probably goes down as Wales’ best ever player. All while seemingly living a happy life and enjoying his hobbies outside of football.

He now moves to LA to end his career.

I imagine he’ll look back on his life as a footballer very fondly indeed.
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

MLS is like watching footy from the 80s. It's not too sad, much less of the ballerina b*llox like in the European leagues. The downside is you're not gonna see too much mind blowing football. The MLS is actually a good place to scout cheap talent, he is playing I'm germany now I think but I wouldnt be too upset at having a punt at Weston Mckennie, tidy little midfielder, good cover for Tommy and Deccers.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 524 likes
Total likes: 458 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

he's at Juventus and I don't think he's going to cost "punt" money. maybe 30plus M at a guess. cost around 20M Euros when Juve signed him from Schalke.

seems like quite a few Americans go to Germany and do well there. not sure why that is. well I mean they have great coaching setups whatever the club but why I wonder does that seem the best route ? Pulisic. Reyna Sr. & Jr. the kids at RB Leipzig. a few others who name escapes me right now.

McKennie gets raves reviews and looks really good when I've seen him play though.
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:29 am he's at Juventus and I don't think he's going to cost "punt" money. maybe 30plus M at a guess. cost around 20M Euros when Juve signed him from Schalke.

seems like quite a few Americans go to Germany and do well there. not sure why that is. well I mean they have great coaching setups whatever the club but why I wonder does that seem the best route ? Pulisic. Reyna Sr. & Jr. the kids at RB Leipzig. a few others who name escapes me right now.

McKennie gets raves reviews and looks really good when I've seen him play though.
Alright cheers, I didn't know he was at juventus. Yea I suppose that would be upwards of 30 mil. Ohh well.
Shabu
Has liked: 1013 likes
Total likes: 399 likes

Post by Shabu »

They have amazing Korean tacos in Korea Town near his new stadium.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Shabu wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 am They have amazing Korean tacos in Korea Town near his new stadium.
Doubt they are as good as Paquito Mas!
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by richneal »

Good for him. I'd jump at the chance to work in LA for a couple of years
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

What a player in his prime, was almost a one man team in some games.

I don't get the hate for him, he prefers golf to football, so what. Real Madrid is a club in a world of its own. I can't remember what game it was but I think it was bale involved, scored two goals but missed a sitter for a hat trick and got booed off the pitch.

That sort of stuff for someone who isn't a native supporter of the club is going to get on your t*ts over time.

He has done well to get the money he has from his job, move to LA for a bit then go back to Wales for the homecoming. Seems like the best choice to me.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Shabu wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 am They have amazing Korean tacos in Korea Town near his new stadium.
He's my favourite player. How easy do you think it'd be to source a Bale LA jersey? JD Sports do an unprinted one but I want his name and number (11 I assume) on the back.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The best thing about LA is that you can be in San Diego in two hours :grin:
mumbles87
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 212 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

e17 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:20 pm His trophy haul probably eclipses our entire squads.

It probably eclipses the squads of arsenal us and spurs put together
DublinDave
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by DublinDave »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:07 pm It probably eclipses the squads of arsenal us and spurs put together
Seeing as none of the above have ever won the champions league & he has 4 winners medals, you could possibly put money on that... :winker:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Shabu wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:54 pm The best thing about LA is that you can be in San Diego in two hours :grin:
Marin County is far nicer!
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:55 pm Marin County is far nicer!
Marin County is gorgeous, but too far from Mexico.