Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by wolf359 »

Anyone surprised? (could belong in the war thread?)

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

He really is an odious ****.

At some point he should have had a spell behind bars I feel.

I wonder if Bernie and Tomos are the same person.....
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

What an absolute trumpet that bloke is. Grotty little man.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

'I'd still take a bullet for him.'

Anyone got a gun?
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Also says Hamilton should have brushed aside Piquet comments....

I'm not Hamilton's biggest fan, but no way should he just brush aside comments like that.

If we just brush it aside every time we'll never ever make progress.
westham,eggyandchips

I wonder if BE has mild dementia?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Max doesn’t come out to well (in admittedly a difficult situation for him)

Everyone else got it wrong basically. Nelson is a good guy

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verst ... /10330630/
simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by simon hammer »

I agree with what Lewis has said on BBC sport website, but I can foresee issues with following the headline part of his narrative...namely that if you refuse older voices a platform (and who say it will stop there? Pretty soon the only ones able to speak out will be those considered 'on point' and any alternative view will be quashed) then you're just trying to skew the narrative to suit your own agenda, and also it denies the racist element the opportunity to show themselves up for the trolls they are

Would Lewis appreciate having his right to free speech taken away when he is in his dotage?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I would offer an opinion but I'm a pensioner.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Ageism is no more palatable than racism but St Lewis can say what he likes can’t he?
Gaz
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Gaz »

Can’t find the link at the moment but there was a story about Verstappen calling Stroll a “retard” and a “mongol” during FP2 in Canada. I didn’t see it myself but if as reported then this is very offensive, and the fact it wasn’t widely reported and he hasn’t been held accountable is not a good look.

But hey, let’s get the nose piercing removed shall we.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Macca1973 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:04 pm Ageism is no more palatable than racism but St Lewis can say what he likes can’t he?
Read the article.. he says the people with known (Nelson and Bernie both have a lot of previous) should have the platform to repeat their nonsense taken away from him. He doesn't say all old people shouldn't be allowed to speak.

"There needs to be some accountability," said Hamilton. "You know what you're going to get [with Ecclestone].

""They are clearly not willing to change and these undertones of discrimination and micro-aggressions in today's world are not helpful, it is creating more division. I love when Michelle Obama says: 'When they go low, I go high,' and that's what I try to do.""

"No more can we be amplifying these voices that are creating that divide."

Seem pretty sensible things to say to me.
westham,eggyandchips

MV has been put in a right awkward position on this.

His team however havent and should have reacted appropriately.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

That headline is pretty disgraceful tbh. Not once did Hamilton say old people shouldn't be allowed to say anything - and the toxic world of on-line F1 has reared it's ugly, racist head as per usual, and read the headline and not the article.

My interest in what is becoming a farcical sport is waning by the day - but that's ok, as my viewing figure, as well as those like mine, will be replaced by the new Drive to Survive generation.

It's going to end up eating itself.

Meanwhile, FIA have tweeked the 2022 regulations and are allowing engines to be replaced and/or repaired in parc ferme due to the amount of failures 'teams' are having (for teams, read Ferrari power units) yet there doesn't seem to be any uproar like their was when FIA came out and said they're going to bring in regulations to help reduce porpoising - which incidentally they've now delayed again until the French GP. Also the cooling of fuel regs are changing, (the regs where Red Bull and Ferrari were lucky to escape penalties earlier in the season for suspected over-cooling of fuel) and the regs regarding tyre testing and car spec have been changed - basically meaning teams can run experimental cars/chassis during it like Ferrari did when they tried out a new floor during a tyre test earlier in the season, plus the flexibility limits of the rear wings have changed - no doubt to accommodate the Red Bull rear wing that had other teams questioning it's legality - so basically, regs that quite clearly benefit Red Bull and Ferrari (and Ferrari engine teams) in particular - the changes of which have been buried beneath the noise of Piquet and now Ecclestone.

What was it the Ferrari bloke and Horner said about the porpoising? We've got it right, so other teams should just get on with it and make a better car. That clearly doesn't apply to power units.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Merc will walk away (I think the plan is for 2026 anyway). Many will rejoice until they realise the hole left behind by the team along with the (currently) unrepeatable retired Hamilton (yes drivers come and go but none have the reach of Hamilton, not even close).

DL those releases some interesting stuff for 24, particularly the ending of tyre blankets.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

That hole will be filled by Porsche or Audi. The toxic new generation won't care, as they'll just see it as whining Mercedes and LuLu going and it will be better for the sport.

Sadly, I won't be surprised if in time we get to see Max get Lewis's Championship record. He has 13 years on Lewis, and with the rumours of either Audi or Porsche teaming up with RBPT, and the magic of Newey, I won't be surprised at all to see RB dominate like Mercedes have done. The only saving grace could be the clean slate that's coming again for 2026 - but I suspect each WDC between now and then will be Max.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Seems that Lewis also finally has had enough of Jackie Stewart's constant digs...
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:50 am Seems that Lewis also finally has had enough of Jackie Stewart's constant digs...
He's a rent-a-gob, who should be put out to pasture. For sure, he was a talented driver and the work he did in regards to driver safety was second only to Max Mosely - but he's always been an opinionated twat who tries to cling on to relevancy.

Him, Ecclestone, Piquet - all dinosaurs from a different era that have prejudices against brown people ingrained in them, like many others of their generations.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:56 pmMax doesn’t come out to well (in admittedly a difficult situation for him) Everyone else got it wrong basically. Nelson is a good guy

https://the-race.com/formula-1/verstapp ... situation/

I think Max comes out very well from this situation. He says he is a good guy, who got this completely wrong.
It’s better to open a conversation because when you ban people then you are actually not helping the situation, you’re not talking. Communication is really important because if you just ban, it’s not helping what you’re trying to enforce. You’re trying to educate people, better to have a chat, these things can be very easily solved. When you have a fight with someone, and you upset someone, and you have a good chat and apologise, it’s exactly the same.
People deserve that second chance to show they’ve learned what they’ve done is wrong, and be a more educated person.
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

If you want change, you'll need to give them a chance.
Gaz
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Gaz »

I'm gradually tuning out to be honest, Mansell was my first F1 hero and I've been hooked ever since.

Opaque decision making which looks like it supports the toxic environment in Red Bull isn't helping.

Last season, the best season ever, probably, was completely ruined at the end with an artificial outcome which by the FIA own admission was erroneous.

I'm meant to be camped at Woodlands this weekend, and enjoying FP1 live but I couldn't stomach it and sold my weekend ticket.

Ah well, I'll have more money to plunder in to West ham I suppose